Weird one ! Gas tank related !!! (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok.. As mentioned before I am slinging a gas tank under the van

The problem I have come up with is two fold

1) There is a safety shut off valve which stops the flow until voltage is applied to a solenoid
In its original application they valve only turns on when the ignition is on.

So you think, why not just put a switch in line to it and retain it..

Well if I do that then voltage must be applied all the time I want gas.. not great when wilding and I want the heating on during the night .. It does not draw a lot of current but enough to be of concern..

Now I could take the valve out and fix it permanently open.. an easy job to do, but then we come up with problem number two and the real crux of the matter

2) The tank is half full of LPG, some 20 litres of the stuff !
As soon as the valve is removed that is going to vent to atmosphere :Doh:

Sooooooooooo

Anyone know if it is possible to decant the gas in to an empty bottle at all ?

I suspect the answer is no, as once the pressure in the receiving bottle equals that in the tank, all flow will simply stop !

As far as I can work out, the only thing I can do is a reet pain in 't bum :wooo:

Mount the tank and use the applied voltage to solenoid method of using what gas is in there
Once I run out, remove the tank and do the bizzzzz... But to say that is a right royal pain is an understatement !!

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
John, if your solenoid valve was ignition powered then it sounds like a road fuel tank not domestic fuel. The difference is the road fuel tank will draw off liquid from the bottom of the tank while a domestic tank will draw off vapour from the top. If it is a road fuel tank DO NOT use it!

D.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yup, just came to the same conclusion Dave !!!

Back to the drawing board..

Damn :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
John, if your solenoid valve was ignition powered then it sounds like a road fuel tank not domestic fuel. The difference is the road fuel tank will draw off liquid from the bottom of the tank while a domestic tank will draw off vapour from the top. If it is a road fuel tank DO NOT use it!

D.

I did wonder about that when you said where you were getting the tank from,but figured you had sorted that out.
You need a 'vapour' tank with an air box and a manual shut off valve.

Mike.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Not a major problem really.. after all, it was only 'something to do', and with the cradle built, all I have to do is wait for a correct tank to come up at a reasonable price and nail it on !

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Hmmmm.. just had another thought.....

Will nailing on a gas vaporiser as used in the LPG conversions work I wonder ?

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You say that Dave, but loadsa vaporisers on fleabay and I already have the tank if this is possible..

A pucka tank is over £200 new and would not be something I would be inclined to spend my hard earned on truth be told

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You say that Dave, but loadsa vaporisers on fleabay and I already have the tank if this is possible..

A pucka tank is over £200 new and would not be something I would be inclined to spend my hard earned on truth be told

Tight git :winky:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
John, you seem to spend a lot of money to save a few quid ( corner jacks for example). The main problem with a vaporiser is it will need a heat source to function, they're usually connected into the cooling circuit of the engine. I see that as a prety big problem for your situation. Do yourself a favour mate, sell that tank for what it is, a road fuel tank and put the proceeds towards a proper vapour tank. you know it makes sense.

D.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yerrrrr.. I know Dave, I know..

But where is the fun in doing things the easy way !! LOL !!

( And still aint given up on the corner jacks ! Think I may have worked out an whole new approach now :thumb: )

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
A vapouriser needs heat, normally from the heater matrix feed pipes, to use that, you would need to get up in the night and start the engine, to get the vapuriser to work, to allow the LPG liquid to vapourise, to get your heating working...................

Another small and easily dismissed point, and I AM just trying to be helpfull,..is that any self install of an LPG system, will give an insurer an easy get out in the case of a claim, that is why all road use LPG systems have to be fitted by certified engineers and certs supplied.

Sometimes, if LPG in needed only for heating...an eberspacher would be better and also uses a fuel carried anyway.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Another small and easily dismissed point, and I AM just trying to be helpfull,..is that any self install of an LPG system, will give an insurer an easy get out in the case of a claim, that is why all road use LPG systems have to be fitted by certified engineers and certs supplied.

Errr.. hello :winky: As mentioned before......Number one son ( lives next door ) is Gas Safe approved ................ At least i hope he is otherwise there are going to be a whole mess of rather unhappy customers on his books LOL !!!

Bottom line though,,,

Having been a modifier of vehicles for 45 years ( and I mean modified, not nail a few extras on ) I personally have no problems with my own ability / abilities.. When you are happy to take a gas axe to a new car and lower the roof by 4 inches,, or cut the front off a transit to reinforce the front end so it can take a breathed on 427 Hemi, everything else comes fairly easy.. But yes, always nice to get everything checked over by someone who has the proper gear to check for leaks and possible pipe grazing places, and of course issue a certificate when happy :thumb:

Fitting a diesel heater would be nice but given our constant battle with weight it will just mean something else would have to go ( like the tool kit .. weighs about the same as a complete Eberspacher install comes in at :Eeek: ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
my apologies...1) i didnt know that gas safe covered LPG installations. If it does, your post,s suggest you know beggar all about it, so to keep us all and yourself safe..better let the gas safe chappie do it.
In your post you seem more interested in doing it cheap than dong it right, you cant be an expert in everything mate, you give advice....maybe time to take some/

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
my apologies...1) i didnt know that gas safe covered LPG installations. If it does, your post,s suggest you know beggar all about it, so to keep us all and yourself safe..better let the gas safe chappie do it.
In your post you seem more interested in doing it cheap than dong it right, you cant be an expert in everything mate, you give advice....maybe time to take some/

Always ready to take advice, hence my response to Dave N's post and also some very useful info and advice from VWalan :thumb:

Yes, I always look at cheaper options before spending money when not needed.. Unlike many I do have a limited amount of dosh and would much rather stick it in the tank and enjoy myself..
But also much prefer to try and do things my way rather than the accepted way.
With experiment comes failure sometimes.... I accept the failures as a lesson learned so still gain from them :thumb:

As to letting someone else work on my van ? No chance
Having fallen foul of a couple of extremely expensive, 'recommended' ( on this forum ) firms and been bitterly disappointed with the results, I will never let anyone touch the thing again ( apart from Dave N .. I KNOW his work and would be very happy for the man to lay hands on my kit .. ooooeeerrr !! )

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Fitting a diesel heater would be nice but given our constant battle with weight it will just mean something else would have to go ( like the tool kit .. weighs about the same as a complete Eberspacher install comes in at :Eeek: ::bigsmile:
And what are you getting rid of, weight wise, to fit a gas tank and contents John ?

that's going to weigh more than a diesel heater and you already carry the fuel..

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Nah mate.. Woman insists we carry two bottles.. I have her convinced a single underfloor tank install will mean we no longer need to carry a spare ( :winky: )

The tank I bought is a 36ltr jobby and comes in a couple of kilos under the two bottle weight ( not a lot in it to say the least, but not heavier ::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back