Route from the Channel tunnel to Dordogne (1 Viewer)

D

DM14742

Deleted User
Just looking at the options & wondered if anyone has gone down the N10 / D910 to Poitiers & then back on the N10 to Angouleme taking the D939 to Perigueux. Looks OK on the map but what do I know!
Our friends have just spent £400 in Tolls carting their Caravan (oops watch my Language) to the Lot area & I don't fancy copying them. Its my first trip abroad in the Van so don't want to make it too difficult & I aren't bothered to breaking any Land speed records in getting there ( a couple of overnighters on route)
If anyone knows this route or a variation taking in a scenic route your advice would be most welcome.Yours in anticipation the French Travel Virgin (AKA Jez)
:Eeek:
PS: Going September 3rd

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The N10 to Anglouem is a fine option. You can get along at a steady 90kph on most of it. Also calais - Rouen - Chartes is mostly main road or dual carriageway. Can all be done Toll free. Lots of aires along the way as well.
What time you arriving at Calais ?? That will be a factor on where to recommend for overnigt stops..

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
When we come to Parc Verger we came from the tunnel straight to Brezolles (a free aire) Then to Parc Verger which is on the edge of the Dordogne via Gurney En Bray to dodge Rouen.
All non toll roads and easy going with our 7 metre van. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
That sounds promising, we are booked for 8.30 am on the train so wanted to do a couple of hundred miles to the Chatres area & look to getting on an Aire or I have seen a site in the ACSI site book which says its in the centre of Chatres so can walk in & have a look around. Then I thought I should get past Poitiers the following day & am very much open to offers regards the nicest route into the Dordogne.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Municipal site in Chartres is good, access is easy and about 15 mins walk into town. When you get to the Dordogne there is a brand new aire in Perigrieux right on the rivers edge will take at least 30 vans and is pristine. Again approx 20 mins walk into the town along the river. :thumb:

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
There used to be a smashing campsite at Pinsac, Camping Beauregard, just south of Souillac. The co-ordinates are 44.85442, 1.521859. My wife and I camped there for a week a couple of years ago. Literally just a few feet from the Dordogne with just a few fishermen for company. The owner had a small bar and would cook up a grill and chips to order.
We found lots of lanes to cycle down and could go up to Souillac for shopping etc.
A really out of the way place. Clean showers, electricity and peace and quiet.
John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Our friends have just spent[HI] £400 in Tolls [/HI]carting their Caravan (oops watch my Language) to the Lot area & I don't fancy copying them.

well, I don't know where they went ...

I just checked, car+ caravan to the Lot area using Toll Roads comes to.. €71

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
Don't know, I'm just passing on what they've told me. Could be some top spin maybe!

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Our view would be avoid Autoroutes and enjoy a leisurely pace (provided you have time). I'm sure your route will be fine and there are lots of alternatives to toll roads. Apologies if this sounds a bit patronising, but have you 'clocked' that many of what were once N roads have been reclassified a D roads? That is so their maintenance falls to the region rather than the national budget. This has resulted in some outstanding D roads - some of them good dual carriageways.
A final thought (related to the first reply above) if your GVW/MAM is more than 3,500 kg the speed limit on a single carriageway is 80 kph, not 90.

OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
That's really good to know, I have a Tom tom Sat Nav & a 2012 AA French road atlas so am up to date so long as these changes you talk about have been uploaded on to them.
My Van is a standard 3.5 Tonner (Ducato Van) so will be OK with the speed Limit not that I'll be tonking it anyway.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We are also heading to the Dordogne via tunnel on the 2nd all being well. We will also head to Chartres as its a nice place, and the municipal site is very good, and as someone else has said a pleasant walk along the river to the town.:thumb:
We go down via Rouen though the fastest way in theory is via Paris but we always avoid that if we can, the Periphique is much the same as the M25 but with scooters who make up the laws of the road on the spot.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
not that I'll be tonking it anyway.

OY !!! what's that supposed to mean.. ?? Tonking it indeed..... :ROFLMAO:

If you get to Chartes and join the N10, 30 mins south is a Village called Marbou.
Lovely aire, free, by river. Bakery at end of road. Signposted as you go through, it's just 1 right turn...
As an alternative head for Vendomme. When there follow signs for municipal campsite. Outside the gates is another free aire, opposite large park, Has a dump for grey and toilet but nothing else. Lovely town to go for a stroll, inc an abbey that you have to walk right past.
Both well recommended, we have stayed at both many times...

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

DM14742

Deleted User
Now that does sound just about right for us Tonka, Thanks

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
That's really good to know, I have a Tom tom Sat Nav & a 2012 AA French road atlas so am up to date so long as these changes you talk about have been uploaded on to them.

I find the AA France Road Atlas is excellent - you can see at a glance which autoroutes are free and which are tolls, so great for general route planning.

Our strategy is usually to make use of the free motorways, but then use N or D roads for making progress where we'd otherwise need to pay a toll.

We are likely to be returning to the Dordogne in September (went same time last year). We will take the free motorway from Calais to Boulogne, then down the ordinary roads towards Abbeville where you pick up the free autoroute again to Rouen. Getting through Rouen requires care and the TomTom will come in handy.

The A154 in the direction of Dreux is more free motorway, but then onto the N12 to get round the town - which is often a slight bottleneck - and onto the N154 for Chartres. If not stopping there, we use the ring road to the west and south of the city and continue on the N154 towards Orleans.

We have driven through Orleans OK, but I think next time we'll go just a couple of stops on the toll motorway to bypass the city. Then exit onto the D2020, which we think is a smashing road down towards Vierzon. En route along the D2020 there's a good free aire in Lamotte-Beuvron. WC, fresh water, grey and black waste disposal. It's just to the south of the town centre on your left. We could even get free wi-fi there, and so used it again on our return journey.

From Vierzon it's free motorway again - A20/E70 - all the way to Brive-la-Gaillarde, by which time you're virtually in the Dordogne.

We've found we can do the tunnel to the Dordogne reasonably comfortably with just one overnight stop. However, there's no reason you shouldn't take more time if you prefer. :thumb:

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

Mike

blamehofman

Free Member
Oct 31, 2010
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
I find the AA France Road Atlas is excellent - you can see at a glance which autoroutes are free and which are tolls, so great for general route planning.

Our strategy is usually to make use of the free motorways, but then use N or D roads for making progress where we'd otherwise need to pay a toll.

We are likely to be returning to the Dordogne in September (went same time last year). We will take the free motorway from Calais to Boulogne, then down the ordinary roads towards Abbeville where you pick up the free autoroute again to Rouen. [HI]Getting through Rouen requires care and the TomTom will come in handy.[/HI]

The A154 in the direction of Dreux is more free motorway, but then onto the N12 to get round the town - which is often a slight bottleneck - and onto the N154 for Chartres. If not stopping there, we use the ring road to the west and south of the city and continue on the N154 towards Orleans.

We have driven through Orleans OK, but I think next time we'll go just a couple of stops on the toll motorway to bypass the city. Then exit onto the D2020, which we think is a smashing road down towards Vierzon. En route along the D2020 there's a good free aire in Lamotte-Beuvron. WC, fresh water, grey and black waste disposal. It's just to the south of the town centre on your left. We could even get free wi-fi there, and so used it again on our return journey.

From Vierzon it's free motorway again - A20/E70 - all the way to Brive-la-Gaillarde, by which time you're virtually in the Dordogne.

We've found we can do the tunnel to the Dordogne reasonably comfortably with just one overnight stop. However, there's no reason you shouldn't take more time if you prefer. :thumb:

Whatever you decide, have a great trip.

Mike

My Tom Tom sent me down towards the now world famous underpass luckily I was able to get out of the escape gap without causing too much trouble on a very busy Saturday afternoon.

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We've done the N10 many times and usually plan a days journey from Calais stopping at the free aire in Saint Maure de Tourraine just after Tours or one of several aires after Poitiers - Vivonne, Couhe, Verteuil-sur-Charente.

Tours is a bit difficult to negotiate and we take the A10 peage from just before tours to the south side. Worth the few euros!
We also do a short section of peage motorway after Rouen from Oissel to the A154, also worth a few euros!

Driving is so much easier in France than in the UK and if you drive on a Sunday there are no trucks!

Have a great time.:Cool:
Mike and Annie

Oct 12, 2011
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
Since 2011 therefore I'm not a newbie anymore
Did that route back from Dordogne with a caravan last year no problem easy route.

Stayed Guines campsite on the way back - even open in October if you book ahead ( though book says it is closed)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back