Feb 14, 2012
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just re-started
Hi all,
Does anyone know what type and where I can source some headlight deflectors for a Fiat Ducky Maxi (07 new face)? I am somewhat disinclined to travel 20 miles and be given blank looks by a disinterested, pimply youth at a well known car and bike accessory store.:Eeek:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Dave
You can buy them at the port shops, but a bit dear about £10.00' I just put some shaped tape on it seems to do the job, let's face it we don't usually drive at night. Peter :thumb:

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
Last edited:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
As posted previously

Why bother?:Eeek:

Every day thousands of Continental vehicles come off the ferries and the Chunnel into UK. Have you ever seen them using beam deflectors?

In more than 10 years living in France I kept a UK car and motorbike over there. In many routine Police stops they never ever asked or questioned my headlights with no beam deflectors.

Are you intending to spend a lot of time driving in the dark on little country roads in France?

....and if you do get some, be careful what you us as some of the adhesives can permanently damage the headlights on the "new" model Ducato, Boxer etc...

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I was talking to another motorhomer as we waited for the ferry at Dover for Calais...I was sticking my beam deflectors on he said why bother so I said well it saves a fine...he said well I never have done in 5/6 years of going to France...any way we came off the ferry at Calais I followed him out of the port onto the road...the French cops pulled us both docs check etc etc...they slapped him a fine for not having em fitted..Like I said to him at the time there is always a first time to get pulled...we know the foreign chappies don't bother with em but thats down to the Ministry and the police to sort..The Gendarmes are different the law is the law is the law....Mind you it was the only time I was ever stopped in France and I saved meself some cash!!!

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Most caravan and motorhome sundries shops and camping shops sell them - usually between £5 & £7.50 for 2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
I have a couple of Headlamp protector covers which I purchased several years ago at the Midsummer Show, I have attached my beam Benders onto them.

Whenever I travel in Europe I just fit the Protectors and hey presto all compliant with the Law also Headlamp glass is reasonably well protected.

Kayold

Free Member
Oct 23, 2011
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
1 year M/H, caravans 20+ yrs
I always use insulation tape and a stanley knife waiting for the ferry. Cheap, easy, doesn't fall off and easy to remove with no damage. Not sure about the 07 headlights though but imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to work out where the beam needs covering.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I have a couple of Headlamp protector covers which I purchased several years ago at the Midsummer Show, I have attached my beam Benders onto them.

Whenever I travel in Europe I just fit the Protectors and hey presto all compliant with the Law also Headlamp glass is reasonably well protected.

I use these as well, except I just black out the marked square on each cover with tape, I also leave them on in the uk all year round (tape removed) its cheaper than a stone through the lenses

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I must have done something like 100,000 miles in our two campervans. I have never had headlamp diverters fitted. I keep my lights set to the lowest possible position and in the last 7 years had probably 5 oncoming drivers flash at me.

I do keep some black tape in the drawer ready to plead forgetfulness if needed but up to now nobody has bothered to stop us.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Got to agree......

beam benders must not impede light transmission....only deflect/re-direct it.

I'm sure you're right, however the ones they flog in the channel tunnel shop are pretty well opaque, and their only function is to block out most of the light from the left hand side of the beam, they bo not deflect. Perhaps the more expensive ones do. Still we aren't too bothered about what are allowed here as we don't need them here, and people have been using tape etc in France for ages, or not bothering at all of course.:thumb:

This type are opaque, the grid pattern is just a printed pattern on the outside, it doesn't have any optical properties.
Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back