Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, we have been traveling round Scotland for the last 6 weeks in our old 1985 Fiat Ducato 2.5D motor with no mechanical problems till today. Went to put the windscreen washers on and nothing happened, totally dead yet it was working 2 days ago fine.

Have checked the fuse in cab and thats ok but can't get to the wiring under the bonnet without taking out the washer bottle etc.

Just wondered if any of you clever people on here might have an idea what I should look for and in what order.

Thanks in advance.:Blush:

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Ours mucks about now and then, pull the connector off the pump then push back-on. If the pump's running but not spraying you might need a sewing needle in the jets to unblock em.

Cheers. Nige

BobProperty

Free Member
May 20, 2010
Stockport
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2010
As I think this is the same as mine, try checking the earths. There's one near the washer bottle on the inside of the wing. There will be several wires all going to a bolt holding them in a nut fixed in the wing. With the age of these vehicles it is getting to be a common problem. Failing that see if the pump actually works by putting 12v across it using a length of wire or two. (assuming you have a length of wire or two)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
treasuredgiftsuk

treasuredgiftsuk

Free Member
Jan 7, 2012
Portugal
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ours mucks about now and then, pull the connector off the pump then push back-on. If the pump's running but not spraying you might need a sewing needle in the jets to unblock em.

Cheers. Nige

Hi Nigel, thanks for the quick reply. Just had a look but can't get to the wire as it is tucked behind the washer bottle and it is too short to pull out. Will have to remove the big black thing which I think is some sort of filter. Will let you know how I get on.:RollEyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the fuse is intact then it will be a wiring fault (broken/disconnected wire or poor earth), the pump has burnt out or the jets are blocked.

have someone operate the pump while you stick yer head under the bonnet.....you will hear it if its working, which would point to blocked jets or leaking tubing.
a seized pump will be silent and will blow the fuse when operated.

the fuse may blow where you cant see the break in the 'wire'...right at the end.....and will look OK. so check the fuse with a multi meter.....not visually.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back