Internet access in France ( Sorry ! LOL !! ) (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I know this has been done to death but there is rarely a conclusive answer..

I will need to have internet access for about 5 weeks while in France

I cannot rely on maybe getting WiFi so amm looking for suggestions on getting a dongle that will work in France and where to get a suitable chip from

I have tried on numerous occasions to source a chip whilst IN France and due to either the language barrier or the bloody mindedness that seems to be the sport in France ( :ROFLMAO: ) I have always failed

I know I can get an unlocked dongle on fleabay ok, but suggestions on a chip that I can buy before we go and have use of for a month would be wonderful
Any advice offered will be gratefully received !

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you need net access then there is only one solution.... Satelites. You need to spend some money.

Other than that you need to take some chances...

10 years ago I spent £14,000 to ensure I got net access abroad and yup.... You guessed it. It was a waste of money. It failed...

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years

I cannot rely on maybe getting WiFi so amm looking for suggestions on getting a dongle that will work in France and where to get a suitable chip from

I have tried on numerous occasions to source a chip whilst IN France and due to either the language barrier or the bloody mindedness that seems to be the sport in France ( :ROFLMAO: ) I have always failed

I know I can get an unlocked dongle on fleabay ok, but suggestions on a chip that I can buy before we go and have use of for a month would be wonderful

Sorry cant help but would suggest its a good excuse to go to Macdonalds every day for 5 weeks:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User

I think 3 mobile are offering internet access at £5 a day with their dongle ,don't know all the details but may be worth a look :thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Jaws....you do not have many options over here in France and all the internet services will all be the same price ...may be worded a little different:Doh:..and none of them are cheap...we have just terminated our yearly contract and are now looking at a pay as you go....until we have one set up and running we can not give any more precise details....

You could do what stagman has suggested ...that was one of the options I would have said, less complicated....but at what cost.

The other is to call at Cite Europe at Calais...the large shopping centre..as you know there is an Aire there, or just park in the shopping car park

If you do not speak any French.
Go to the SFR shop in there ask the people at the Desk to help you.......
Tell you do not live in France
Take in with you you laptop, Net book, or I-Pad....somebody should speak enough English to know what you want.
ASK THEM TO SET YOU UP and start you off with a Dongle and simcard...and CLÉ PRÊTE À SURFER and to get you onto the internet. ask them to write down what you require for your next and future prepaid cards and how to enter the code.

Stay at Cite Europe until you are happy all is well and working.

All this has been done by another MHF member.

Here are some links for SFR........print them off and take them into the shop it may help them understand what you are wanting.
There is also Orange, they will have very similar details on the web....BUT I am not sure if they have a shop in Cite Europe?

Link Removed

Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Link Removed

Jaws here are some address's in the CALAIS and DUNKERQUE

ESPACE SFR COQUELLES (62231)
C CIAL LA CITE EUROPE
62231 COQUELLES
Tél: 03 21 00 19 19
LUN à JEU 10H-20H, VEN 10H-21H, SAM 10H- 20H

ESPACE SFR CALAIS (62100)
C CIAL DES 4 BOULEVARDS
62100 CALAIS
Tél: 03 21 46 58 88
LUN à SAM 9H30-19H30

11 BOULEVARD LAFAYETTE
62100 CALAIS
Tél: 03 21 00 95 75
LUN 14H-19H, MAR à SAM 10H-19H

1 RUE ROGER SALENGRO
62100 CALAIS
Tél: 03 21 96 58 88
LUN à SAM 10H-20H

ESPACE SFR DUNKERQUE (59140)
48 BOULEVARD ALEXANDRE III
59140 DUNKERQUE
Tél: 03 28 51 15 06
LUN à SAM 9H30/19H

ESPACE SFR DUNKERQUE (59140)
88 BOULEVARD ALEXANDRE III
59140 DUNKERQUE
Tél: 03 28 66 99 99
LUN 10H-19H, MAR à SAM 9H30-19H

Mel
:thumb:

Last edited:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
I am on a Vodafone contract. They messaged me offering me Vodafone EuroTraveller for £3 per day I wished to use my phone in Europe - using my allowance.

The £3 per day applies to any contract Link Removed

A number of Smartphones (iPhone/Samsung Galaxy and probably others) have a facility to create your own personal hotspot (wifi) which means you could use your laptop/tablet via your phone.

Steve

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Link Removed
I have one of these,it`s not as cheap as home wifi but it works and you can sort it out before you go.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Jaws..
I think what you will have to do, is check out what each internet company is offering what other members are suggesting, at what cost per minute, per day, per month and how many Mb do you get for how long and what can you use it on...eg mail,data, and if voice can be used..........when calculated...you may find most of the roaming deals from the UK can be very costly and a lot more expensive than what the French have to offer...and that is not a lot:Doh:....but you will be able to understand what you are getting in the UK:winky:

It is one headache.

Mel

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
My vodafone package, allows me 25meg a day allowance abroad, they send you a txt to advise that you have used 80% of your allowance.. nIts fine enough for emails and a little surfing..

CARE.

If you use a smart phone, make sure that you switch off the 'update apps' funtion, otherwise that could use your whole allowance without you knowing and then the higher fees kick in...

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
What do you need internet access for, what sort of tasks will you be doing and how much data do you need?

If you are looking at UK tariffs you have the following options:

Vodafone PAYG UK: £2/day for 25MB
Vodafone Contract: £3/day to use your UK allowances abroad
Vodafone Ireland PAYG Sim: £2.35/day for 50MB
Three Contract: £5/day for "unlimited" data / calls
O2 Contract: £1.99/day for 25MB
Orange: £3/day for 30MB
T-Mobile: £5/day for 20MB

I would have a decent WiFi antenna for where WiFi is available but as I say to everyone, WiFi in France is tricky for WiFi unless you can make friends with an French SFR customer as they have long range WiFi hotspots everywhere!

My vodafone package, allows me 25meg a day allowance abroad, they send you a txt to advise that you have used 80% of your allowance.. nIts fine enough for emails and a little surfing..

That sounds a bit like Data Traveller for contract, which unfortunately was withdrawn 1st July. :cry: The new tariffs above now apply.

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I use a Tmobile dongle and the eurobooster for data roaming, anywhere in europe. no problems with topup as done online when needed. and have done so for the last few years

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have excellent coverage in the UK, and COULD add a Euro pack on my T Mobile set up, but it is just not that great a deal ( considering how good I have found just about every other aspect of being a T mobile customer to be )

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have excellent coverage in the UK, and COULD add a Euro pack on my T Mobile set up, but it is just not that great a deal ( considering how good I have found just about every other aspect of being a T mobile customer to be )

It works out cheaper than a french one though last time i looked it was about €8 a day for a limited amount of data access in france and its also i think cheaper than the '3' deal

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It works out cheaper than a french one though last time i looked it was about €8 a day for a limited amount of data access in france and its also i think cheaper than the '3' deal

The T-Mobile Deal is:

3MB £1
20MB £5
50MB £10

Vodafone offer 100MB for £8 on their Dongles.

Three don't have a roaming dongle "package" just a straight 70p per MB. If you had a three contract (from £10pm) you could have Unlimited Data tethered usage on your laptop for £5/day.

O2 and Orange pretty much say don't take your dongles abroad although neither are allowed to charge you more than 70p a MB.

quarryjmiller

Free Member
Aug 13, 2012
Hereford
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2006
French internet

We use Le French Mobile, cheaper than using a UK sim card and you can buy data bundles, still overpriced but good coverage and you can buy it before you go and top it up while you are there, all online, they post you the card:
http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/

Have a few trips to Spain coming up, self employed an Ipad essential, was hoping to buy Iboost from Addie tonight but no stock until the motorhome show and I am off to Barcelona on the 12th so more dosh for Le French Mobile I guess.

Deleted User
Two years ago I bought an SFR PAYG dongle, unfortunately I do not know the current price of the dongle but usage costs €35 for 1Gb(Go in France), €25 for 500Mb and other options. These prices were current 1 month ago when we left France, information will be available on the website and staff in the shops are usually helpfull but sometimes busy. The main drawback is that top ups have to be done in an SFR shop if you don't have a French address or credit card, this involves an automated call to input numbers but the staff have usually done this for me, tried it once(succesfully!!) myself but a bit traumatic for a non French speaker.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
The 3 offer of unlimited Internet for £5 per day can only be used on your mobile phone you cannot use it for tethering to your computer. I know this as I have just been using it!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
We use Le French Mobile, cheaper than using a UK sim card and you can buy data bundles, still overpriced but good coverage and you can buy it before you go and top it up while you are there, all online, they post you the card:
http://www.lefrenchmobile.com/

Hmmm, I might give this a go. :thumb: Does the credit you buy expire or does it remain until used up?

Wyn

mid4did

Free Member
Sep 29, 2012
N.somerset
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp R 655 GT
Exp
started in a minivan 1970's when I could fit into it.
Hmmm, I might give this a go. :thumb: Does the credit you buy expire or does it remain until used up?
Just a quick look at the site:
With LeFrenchMobile, use your credit as you wish (call, text, surf) and when you want (today, tomorrow, in one month).
Also:
* Subject to a monthly fee of €1.40 if your monthly consumption is less than €10. This applies to all new customers from the 9th of May, 2011. If you already are a customer, the credit validity period stays the same. If you wish to change to the no credit expiration offer please send us an email
:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back