Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Hi Folks,
My van is secondhand and I think the leisure batterie's (have a pair), are the originals, therefore 10 years old. Still functional, but not as good as I think they should be. My question is how do I test them to determine if I should replace? :Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you could take them to a garage and have them tested with a discharge tester.
You could make sure they are full charged then disconnect them from the van and each other and check the voltages after 1 hour, 24hrs and one week. make a note of the readings and see what you get.
Youu could also check the specific gravity of each cell if you have the appropriate tool to check for differances (lead/Acid only).
If lead/acid make sure they were fully topped up before charging

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
Taking to a garage at intervals sounds impractical. What is a discharge tester? Googling sugests a multimeter, but I am vague on the subject. Come on folks 42 read's and only one feedback - you can't all be watching Phelpes!!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
As Wildman said, you need to fully charge the batteries, check the open circuit voltage and the specific gravity of the electrolyte.
You should get 12.8V and an SG of approx 1.265 if the battery is healthy (at 20 degrees C)
Remember to get rid of the 'surface voltage' on the battery by briefly putting a load on it.

If you have sealed batteries, then a performance test by draining them at a known amperage over 20 hours is the only way to ascertain if they match the original performance.

Most batteries are rated at a 20 hr rating.
Ie a 100Ah battery will give 5amps for 20 hrs for a 100 % diacharge.
Discharging to this level is not recommended, however because going beyond this will damage the cells. As a rule. discharge leisure batteries to 50% max (open circuit voltage 12V).
Therefore, for testing, discharge the said battery at 5 amps for 10hrs and then measure the open circuit voltage. This should now be 12V if the battery is healthy.
Using the power formula, to get a discharge of 5 amps from a 12V battery, you need a 60W load. A 50W bulb is close enough for this and makes a readily available test apparatus!:thumb:

If you have traction batteries, 11.6V (80% discharge) is fine.:Smile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Taking to a garage at intervals sounds impractical. What is a discharge tester? Googling sugests a multimeter, but I am vague on the subject. Come on folks 42 read's and only one feedback - you can't all be watching Phelpes!!

the old fashioned, and best, version. HERE

the new digital version....crap in my opinion. HERE

you dont need to take to a garage at regular intervals.....just check the voltage after 24hrs, one day and one week with a cheap multimeter.

12.7v and above after one hour off charge = 100% charge

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
the old fashioned, and best, version. HERE

the new digital version....crap in my opinion. HERE

you dont need to take to a garage at regular intervals.....just check the voltage after 24hrs, one day and one week with a cheap multimeter.

12.7v and above after one hour off charge = 100% charge

Your right Paps, the drop tester is best, it induces a load situation on the battery but at £100 plus not the bit of kit Joe average carries, if you take your batteries to a local tyre battery dealer they will test using a drop tester for you for free!!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
All very complicated. I don't think you'd want to spend £100 on a discharge tester. Suggest you could connect the fully charged battery to a car headlight bulb (55w) which you can get for under £2 which will draw around 5 amps. If its still bright after 10 hours (110Ah battery, 8hrs 85Ah battery) then your batteries are fine, if it dims after a few hours then they need replacing. Don't run it for longer than this though or they will need replacing anyway through over discharging. Take care the bulb will get very hot.
Alternatively if you're sure they are 10 years old they will almost certainly need replacing anyway. If still readable there should be a date on the batteries.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wasnt suggesting the op went and bought a £100 drop tester....simply answering his question "what is a discharge tester" :thumb:

OP
OP
Pikeman
Nov 6, 2011
Worthing
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky Ti
Exp
2001 to date
:thumb: Thanks everyone, Ive learnt stuff tonight! Will act on your advice.

This is why I joined this community!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Machine Mart do a good drop tester for around £30 if I remember right. Its some time since I bought mine and its well tried and tested. Not digital, it has a meter on the front and 2 crocodile clamps that attach to the battery with a heating element inside. Good piece of kit and will pay for itself over time.

Good news, have just checked and its £23.98 and its the CVT1 model you want.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back