Don n' Kim Hoping to be Full Timers in 6-9 months (1 Viewer)

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Hi
My boys are old enough to look after themselves so Kim and I are looking to go Full Time in a motor home.
Is it true that prices come down in the winter months?
Would it be cheaper to go to Germany or France for a used 'van?
Looking to have £20k to £25k to spend.

Just can't wait to get our first motorhome with a Fixed bed if poss.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It'll take more than just a fixed bed to make a go of fulltiming. You need to get into as many vans as you can and go through the motions of living in it day after day in deep snow. Where do you both lounge ?

Hymer A class, within your budget for a good older one, would be a good place to start.

Don't be afraid of the age, condition/mileage is everything. Damp is the cancer of MHs.

There are at least two buyers guides here.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Wow, diving straight into it...respect.
Hope the life will suit you, have you any experience of vans, caravanning maybe?
Lots of vans out there and loads of experience on this forum.::bigsmile:
If this is your first motorhome you'll need all the advice you can get.
When do you expect to be free? I see you put December for purchase in your profile.
Loads of time to find the right van for you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A Class motorhomes are popular for fulltiming. If you intend to be relatively static with just 4 or five moves a year then an American RV can give you lots of living space and storage. Plenty of models within your budget, they are great but can be expensive to run, however some models converted to run on LPG give reasonable MPG equivalents, but nowhere near European motorhomes that are much smaller but much more efficient with their fuel.

If you want to explore Europe and follow the sun then I would suggest you look for an older A Class Hymer; look for something around ten years old. You could get a nice model with your budget that will outlive most of us.

Exciting times, but don't shop excited, be clinical. Decide what you need then hunt it down at the best price. Look for a good buyers guide, :winky:it will help you get the right van and maybe save you enough cash to fuel it for a couple of years at least:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
good luck with you fulltimeing I have been doing for Nine months
I have had several motohomes in the past ten years
Finally ending up with my RV the best thing to full time in
proper full size bed and fitting made to last
(no flimsy bits to fall apart in no time)

if you are going to go full time then do look at an RV as they have the fittings to allow full time living.

are you going to travel in your new home? if so where will you go as most Euro boxes are not so well insulated for cold weather

My Rv is only 27feet long
however has all the full size fittings of a larger model very comfortable and with full winterized it great in sub zero temps

it is a big money outlay and an expensive mistake if you get the lay out wrong
think hard on what you need and what you want unless your going to buy new you will have to compromise on what you want and what you need in your new mobile home

do not let things put you off go for it and enjoy the freedom

good luck yours Ian

Hi
My boys are old enough to look after themselves so Kim and I are looking to go Full Time in a motor home.
Is it true that prices come down in the winter months?
Would it be cheaper to go to Germany or France for a used 'van?
Looking to have £20k to £25k to spend.

Just can't wait to get our first motorhome with a Fixed bed if poss.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been fulltiming for over 3 years now and had a variety of vehicles from an 8mtr Eura Mobil. A 10 Mtr Bus (Optare metrorider) to a small panel van.

My view having been through all sizes is that it is a compromise between comfort and ease of travel.

The smaller the vehicle the more you can move and the more places you can get with least hassle. The bigger the vehicle the more comfort when you get to site.

My big bus didn't last long not because of it's length but primarily because of it's width. A wide vehicle makes maneuvering difficult in some places more so than a long vehicle. I was also only getting 10mpg. Between these two issues it stopped me being as spontaneous as I had been in my Eura Mobil. This became a major issue for me.

I would second all those who recommend an older A class Hymer. My next one will be a B544 or preferably a B584. They have comfortable lounge seats a fixed but drop down bed above the cab which you leave made up and enough seating for 4 people easily. All this whilst staying within a 6Mtr length and not too wide. They also have decent fuel efficiency so travelling europe won't need a second mortgage to pay for Diesel.

Good luck with your adventure I hope you enjoy it as much as I and other fulltimers I know do..:thumb:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi and welcome to the madhouse that we lovingly call 'Fun' :ROFLMAO:

I'm currently selling our RV and although it will be sold by the time you are ready to buy you are more than welcome to come and have a look and chat about all things RV if you like.

You are in Bury and I'm Morecambe so you could easily pop up for a look/chat but in the meantime you can see some pictures of it by clicking Link Removed .

Bryan

morph

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
Lancs area
Funster No
MH
RV American Dream
Exp
Newbies
Hi Don & Kim,

We have just purchased our first RV and going to be fultiming in it soon like yourselves. We researched for months & looked at loads and you have to bear in mind about running costs. As you are in Bury (Manchester I assume?) We are only Oldham area so If you want to come and take a look at ours and another one owned by another RV'er, as they are both very different but stored same site, it will at least give you some feel. We also know of one going for around the price you are looking at (private sale) but not advertised! PM us! :Smile:

OP
OP
donnkim

donnkim

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Bury
Funster No
MH
Low Line Coachbuilt
Exp
a newbie
Thanks to Everyone

Wow,
Didn't expect so many friendly replies.
Let me give you some more info regarding our situation. I am a Sales Agent travelling throughout most of England and Wales visiting shops.
I have 3 boys at home who can now look after themselves so they will remain in our house.
Kim and I want to get a motorhome from which I can carry on my business. We will be towing a small Kia Picanto, which can be used to go into the towns and cities.
We will return home, initially every weekend, to make sure the boys are ok. Gradually we will extend the time away.
So I don't think we need a really big motorhome and yes I am leaning towards a Hymer small A/B class.
Thanks in anticipation
Don

artona

Free Member
Jul 31, 2007
Funster No
MH
self build
Exp
40 yrs and still not got a release date
Hi Donn

Hope it all works well for you, we ahd a great time fulltiming. What product do you sell?

stew

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
Full timing

Hi We have had about 8 motorhomes over about 20 years currently an A class Dethleffs. Our favourite was a Hobby. Lovely comfy fixed bed. Much easier to access engine that an A class and not so much sway as a Hymer, we did have a 644 for a short while. The hobby was the only one we regret selling. You will pick a good one for £20K plus and may be evan think of buying in Germany, but watch that it is UK compliant.
Hope that helps but every person is different.

Wow,
Didn't expect so many friendly replies.
Let me give you some more info regarding our situation. I am a Sales Agent travelling throughout most of England and Wales visiting shops.
I have 3 boys at home who can now look after themselves so they will remain in our house.
Kim and I want to get a motorhome from which I can carry on my business. We will be towing a small Kia Picanto, which can be used to go into the towns and cities.
We will return home, initially every weekend, to make sure the boys are ok. Gradually we will extend the time away.
So I don't think we need a really big motorhome and yes I am leaning towards a Hymer small A/B class.
Thanks in anticipation
Don

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I just did a lets pretend[HI] I have £20K fantasy buy[/HI].

www.ebay.co.uk/itm//180856239985
I would want to change the upholstery in this one though as it is ghastly.

nice.. but this one would be my preference and I would have £7k in hand to refurbish the interior ... solid as a rock with a bullet proof engine..

Link Removed

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
in reality you cant beat space and spending more than a couple of weeks in the wrong motorhome 24/7 can be very stressful on ones relationship.
we ended up with a rather large 28 ft motorhome with a 5ft overcab bed front diner and rear lounge that makes into a bed and find this works for us as we have space to get out of each others way but only you will know how you will take to it.

try hiring one for a couple of weeks of a similar layout to what you are looking for and live in it for the 2 weeks doing everything you would at home use the toilet, the shower, cook and eat in it as you would at home, dont do the usual 2 week takeaway / restaurant that you wont do when you are living in it properly and only then you will know if the layout works for you.

take notes on the failings of the layout of the hired van so then you know what to look to avoid in the one you are going to own.

some prefer separate beds so as they dont disturb the other when visiting the loo in the middle of the night so dont discount anything unless you have a valid reason to do so.

and dont forget you need to fill with water and get rid of the waste somewhere and do laundry and most sites will only let you stay for a maximum 28 days at a time although this isnt a problem if you are moving around doing your business.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
nice.. but this one would be my preference and I would have £7k in hand to refurbish the interior ... solid as a rock with a bullet proof engine..

Link Removed

yep i agree from when mercedes were built by engineers not accountants.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967

Link Removed

My choice also Jim a lot of lounging space and built in genny, just needs a few solar panels, I have met a few fulltimers in one of those, and hey its only 23ft 8":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

Link Removed

Very nice but too big for my needs these days. I aim to keep as close to 6mtrs as possible. Makes going to the supermarket so much easier etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back