So sorry, one last Gaslow question (1 Viewer)

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I have been getting myself 'clued up' on the gaslow equipment which leads me to this question.

Has anybody that has fitted their own system had any problems with the first fill up, ie. the 80% safety cut off not working or air trapped somewhere not allowing things to fire up? :Eeek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Cannot speak for GasLow but the Alugas system both Scotties and I have got fitted work perfectly

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have been getting myself 'clued up' on the gaslow equipment which leads me to this question.

Has anybody that has fitted their own system had any problems with the first fill up, ie. the 80% safety cut off not working or air trapped somewhere not allowing things to fire up? :Eeek:

I had my Gaslow systems (2) fitted by CMR and was warned that the gauge might not read straight away after refilling as it needs a big of a "shake" to get going. The cut off valve has always done its job and anyway I am informed by many people who are in the know that the LPG pump has its own cut off valve anyway...

I was a little concerned when I first started refilling the bottles but it was only "Newby Nerves."

Now it is second nature.

Every time I pay for gas now I thank the day I switched to Gaslow...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
I had my Gaslow systems (2) fitted by CMR and was warned that the gauge might not read straight away after refilling as it needs a big of a "shake" to get going. The cut off valve has always done its job and anyway I am informed by many people who are in the know that the LPG pump has its own cut off valve anyway...

I was a little concerned when I first started refilling the bottles but it was only "Newby Nerves."

Now it is second nature.

[HI]
Every time I pay for gas now I thank the day I switched to Gaslow...
[/HI]

Now thats what I needed to hear! :thumb:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Filled our Gaslow this week.Only the second time since getting the van last August! We have been away more than at home since then with weeks off EHU using gas for the fridge as well as water heating and cooking.Total spent so far first fill £14 second £20.75 (of course we are full again now!) Absolute bargain!:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
mind if you only fill up twice a year you will take along time to get any pay back.
you must use hardly any gas .

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Well, no is the short answer to your question, and also ditto to what JJ said.

I mean we've spent a lot of hols in France, mainly in tents and although we've always taken what we've thought is more than enough gas, when we've gone by car we've always landed up having to buy at least one biggest camping gaz and at approaching €25 a time the last time we did this (ie in xs of 3 years ago) as an exchange bottle, it ain't cheap. Same in ££ here.

The only time we've not paid a lot is when we've been on the bike and have used a Coleman (unleaded) petrol stove, in which case it's been syphoned out of the bike tank ! Hot food every night, cups of tea/coffee AND sometimes the washing up.

The easiest place to get both fuel and gas in France is at a truckstop type filling station, they are geared up for it. And usually laugh at the piddling amounts of each we buy ! Sometimes don't take cash though for fuel ! :roflmto:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Vwalan is totally right...you can save yourselves hundreds of pounds in the original cost of refillable bottles by filling your normal bottles using an adaptor (mine was £35 approx.)

The trouble is I only refill a completely empty "normal" bottle and use the 2 litres per kilo measurements for safety.

This policy does not allow me to "top up" that gas bottle whenever I come across a LPG station as I can with the Gaslow system.

In the Wagon I have one Gaslow and one light weight Calor 6 kilo bottle, each with its own regulator, plumbed in via a switch over tap.

I use the Calor whenever the Gaslow runs out completely, which is rare because I top up quite often. If I do change over to the Calor, I then run it right out so it is ready to fill again when the opportunity presents itself.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i weigh the bottle . so no trouble filling even if half full.
think it takes too long to recoup the layout myself . as in spain or maroc its far cheaper to exchange . mind i do use more in them countries . in portugal i try to swap my spanish just before i get to portugal. find portugal expensive for gas. very often dont buy diesel there either . fill in spain on the way if coming home .at ayamonte .that usually sees me all the way through.
in spain if you stay off the main routes there are places the local trucks fill up. much cheaper than the garages . keep your eyes open for them . sometimes it looks like a private truck yard but they very often let you fill cheaply.

ticktok

Free Member
May 13, 2010
Kent (South Coast)
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
5 Years

I fitted a single Gaslow system a couple of days before we set off for a month in France and Spain, put a small amount of LPG in to test the system and then found one of the elbows they supplied had been drilled at an angle and so had pierced the side of the fitting causing a bad leak, this was replaced and all seemed OK. Just before getting on the ferry next morning we filled the bottle and off we went. After about an hour driving we stopped for a brew so went to the gas locker to switch on the gas and found that LPG was squirting out of a hole in the weld on the brand new Gaslow bottle.:Eeek::Eeek:

When we returned I contacted Gaslow and although they sent a replacement bottle they didn’t seem at all concerned the they had supplied a container with a test certificate that was very dangerous and haven’t even bothered to pick up the faulty cylinder to inspect it.:Doh:

Two potentially dangerous faults on one system ? We may have been very unlucky but I would check and recheck before I trusted another system from Gaslow.

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Gaslow

Never had a problem.
My filler point is inside the gas locker, and contrary to what I have read, never have a problem refuelling.
My Wife cannot believe our saving on gas.
Malc

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back