Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
We recently stayed at a Forrestry/Caravan and Camping Club site in the New Forest, (Setthorns). I was amazed to find that they charge you an extra £5 per night for a trailer with a car on it. As we were only staying for one night, 5.30pm 'til 9am I tried to get an exemption as the car would not be coming off of the trailer. NO EXCEPTIONS ------ YOUR TRAILER TAKES UP MORE ROOM!!!! Needless to say we shall not be using them again, it becomes too expensive . Has anyone else had similar experiences with Rip Off British sites.
Adrian.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not just in the UK do they charge for trailers. Many sites in Spain now charge for 2 pitches. One of the downsides of not being able to Aframe am afraid. Aframes with a toad were tolerated on most Spanish campsites but since everyone is now using a trailer they have to PAY.

Deleted User
We recently stayed at a Forrestry/Caravan and Camping Club site in the New Forest, (Setthorns). I was amazed to find that they charge you an extra £5 per night for a trailer with a car on it. As we were only staying for one night, 5.30pm 'til 9am I tried to get an exemption as the car would not be coming off of the trailer. NO EXCEPTIONS ------ YOUR TRAILER TAKES UP MORE ROOM!!!! Needless to say we shall not be using them again, it becomes too expensive . Has anyone else had similar experiences with Rip Off British sites.
Adrian.

I think you will find they charge £2.00 per dog per night as well. I think a dog might only use 1 bowl of water a day. These sites are not cheap and some are very basic.

spongy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
Stopped at Black Horse CC site, Folkestone on Monday 16th July (excellent site by the way) on one of the 'ferry pitches' £17.50. Stayed again last Monday (23rd) on our way back from France £21.00.
I asked 'why the increase in just one week' - reply - school holidays.
It's a good site, well placed for ferries and tunnel if a bit noisy from the busy Canterbury Road - but it was almost empty.
Supply and demand is used to increase prices at busy times - it just wasn't busy.
Vic

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
We don't all keep adding on extras our all singing all dancing site is only £700 per night and no extras for trailer, electric, showers, hot tub, pole dancers or awnings, or dogs tis all included. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi wildman .i bet the pole dancers used to work at st merryn meats or north devon meats .ha ha .
have you got portugese and latvian dancers as well now.
think alot of the poles have gone home now .
here in cornwall we are thinking of bringing back the highway man .you know stop the tourists on the border take all their money and gold then send them off back . saves cluttering up the streets etc with big motorhomes and toads .
we dont mind trailers we can weigh them in for scrap. hee hee.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We came across an interesting thing concerning ACSI sites last year in Austria and Germany

Went to office..

Got any spaces ?

Yes, plenty..

I have a motorcycle on a trailer, is that ok ?
How much ?

yes, not problem at all, its €XX per night .. Go to pitch so and so.......

Thank you

THEN.........
Present ACSI card

Ahhh.. there is an extra €XX per night for the trailer

Twice it happened, twice we bailed and moved on.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
I've asked them what is the difference between a car and caravan and a motor home and trailer, but as yet I've only got the shrugged shoulders and "that is the rules".

Pete:Cool:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Adrian.
it is rip off Britannia here they are all doing it
even some caravan club Cls are chargin for a car trailer had one asking for £2.00 when i rolled out my side awning that is only atached to the side of my van no legs on the ground I did argue but the customer is ripped off every time
I left the site and wild camped about 100 yards from their entrance for three days PMSL :Eeek:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We don't all keep adding on extras our all singing all dancing site is only £700 per night and no extras for trailer, electric, showers, hot tub, pole dancers or awnings, or dogs tis all included. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

By heck Roger is the site gold plated and diamond studded as well

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972

£700 a night, I don't think I can afford to stay there :ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Movin' on

Movin' on

Free Member
Apr 1, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2001
We came across an interesting thing concerning ACSI sites last year in Austria and Germany

Went to office..

Got any spaces ?

Yes, plenty..

I have a motorcycle on a trailer, is that ok ?
How much ?

yes, not problem at all, its €XX per night .. Go to pitch so and so.......

Thank you

THEN.........
Present ACSI card

Ahhh.. there is an extra €XX per night for the trailer

Twice it happened, twice we bailed and moved on.

Well done John, we had a similar experience last year on the way to the Newbury show. We wanted to overnight near to the show so that we could be early for the Show ground. The campsite was an expensive one anyway but when they asked for £4 per night for the dog, I thought that was a liberty. I asked if that price included taking it for a walk, picking up its' poops and a general groom, the answer of course was "No". The attendant then informed me that the owner was trying to discourage dogs from the site. I asked her to congradulate the owner as he had succeeded in his plan as I would be spending the night in a nearby C.L. If only more would come away from rip-off sites, it may make them think.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Well done John, we had a similar experience last year on the way to the Newbury show. We wanted to overnight near to the show so that we could be early for the Show ground. The campsite was an expensive one anyway but when they asked for £4 per night for the dog, I thought that was a liberty. I asked if that price included taking it for a walk, picking up its' poops and a general groom, the answer of course was "No". The attendant then informed me that the owner was trying to discourage dogs from the site. I asked her to congradulate the owner as he had succeeded in his plan as I would be spending the night in a nearby C.L. If only more would come away from rip-off sites, it may make them think.
would be nice if we could Name and shame the sites that do the rip offs
Jim can we have a page set for listing sites to avoid ??
would be interesting to see one LOL:Eeek:

hope that not a naughty step remark :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
We need to complain more. On the site where i am till the morning, the owners showed a couple to their pitch. It was on a slope that a fly would have had trouble sticking to. The owner pizzed off, and left the couple (german) looking at the pitch, and then at other units that were using 1ft high tree offcuts as levelling aids:Eeek:and probably wondering how their sink would drain, how their fridge would work etc.......and they promptly got the owner again, remonstrated, and left the site.

I know Devon aint flat, but there is such a think as terracing, which alleviates the problem,.......more complaining might get it done.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Rip off site league

Im still a bit new to all this but have been looking around and cant believe the difference in prices.Why not get together and form some sort of league table,name and shame the basta--s.That way sites who gave good value could gain recognition .Heres to fun times at reaiiistic prices
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I have phoned ahead and asked why they charge for a car when caravanners have 2 vehicles on the pitch and they said its down to insurance, I say well I won't be using your site then and found another that doesn't charge for a car as well as a NH, we also. Places that charge for a dog.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I forgot to mention...

I did report the trailer extra after presenting an ACSI card fiasco to ACSI

They simply said it was up to the individual sites and they had no control over such things

I further mailed pointing out it makes their guide out to be wrong and indeed pointless

We did renew again this year but if it happens again we shall not be renewing next.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I forgot to mention...

They simply said it was up to the individual sites and they had no control over such things

I further mailed pointing out it makes their guide out to be wrong and indeed pointless

We did renew again this year but if it happens again we shall not be renewing next.

Same happened to us after one site charged us for a dog and we said that a dog was included in the ACSI sheme and they said the same thing, that its up to the individual sites, we had already booked and paid so we couldn't get out of that one, £3 a night for the dog, what a rip off, what facilities does a small yorkie use?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I forgot to mention...

I don't think ACSI states trailers are inclusive, dogs are though so should not charge for dogs even though we did get charged once. We didn't notice till after we left and as we had only been there one night it didn't seem worth going back to complain.

Participating camp sites offer the following in the CampingCard ACSI rate on touring pitches:

• A camping pitch.*
• Overnight stay for 2 adults.
• Car & caravan & awning, or car & folding caravan, or car & tent, or motor home & awning.
• Electricity. Your CampingCard includes a 6A connection with a maximum of 4KWh per day included in the price. If you require higher amperage or use more than 4 kWh, the camp site has the right to surcharge you the rates which normally apply on the site.
• Hot showers. In camp sites where showers are operated by tokens, CampingCard holders are entitled to one token per adult per day.**
• Maximum 1 dog staying on camp sites which accept dogs. For a second (or additional) dog you might have to pay extra.
• VAT

Don't see a trailer there :Sad:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am not suggesting for one minute ACSI includes a trailer..
My beef is that only AFTER an ACSI card was shown they wanted to charge for the trailer.
Before it was shown there was no charge

Quite obviously the sites dislike having to give the discount to ACSI members so try to claw back said discount any way they can..

Honest truth ? I find it slightly pathetic and to me demonstrates the sites doing it are real money grabbers, OR equally possibly, close to the edge and desperately trying to survive

Either way their actions cost them my site rental as we always simply move on

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
After the early wash out of a summer the sites are trying to milk as much cash off users as they can before sept. Down this way S.W.Wales the average site fee per night for pitch, dogs and ehu is always around £25 :Angry:

Bee

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
France
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2003
We have juast paid £170 return for a small car and small trailer to England from France never paid that it would have been cheaper to take motorhome and fill it with things we need to take back to UK:RollEyes:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
I have just booked a site for when we go to my Grandsons wedding........I rang last Sunday morning told them I required a pitch with hook up (needs hair drier and all sorts for wedding day) told them the RV is 40' and I will have a trailer with a car as well......no problem says the very nice lady might have to park the trailer on the grass (big deal not bothered about that) she then asks if I have slides so she can book me on a bigger pitch......all this for £18.00 a night which is about the most I will pay.....not bad considering it's August.

All the best Rick

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back