LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have a domain and I use that domain address to send and receive emails, the problem is not receiving but sending...,

Let me explain...

I use shiftzz@noitsnotmydomain.co.uk
The company who hosts my domain has supplied me with the incoming server settings.

I am using my g-mail settings to send, but sometimes the recipient sends a reply through gmail not the shiftzz@noitsnotmydomain.co.uk address.

Any suggestions, and I am not thinking about a mail server or anything expensive,,

Ta

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am not familiar with gmail but the sender if they click reply will send to the "Reply to:" header in the incoming email.

It would be worth using your incoming mail providers SMTP server. They should allow you to use smtp auth on port 587.
You can then use this from anywhere on any connection.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks Karl

Is there a way of setting up a 'virtual exchange server'? If that makes any sense?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Which features of exchange do you want?

If you are just looking for full email configuration options. Your best bet would be to look for a linux host that uses plesk (or cpanel). You can then add mailboxes and create aliases for these mailboxes. You will then be able to access these using either webmail, IMAP4 or POP3.

I would need more info regarding what you want to achieve in order to give specific advice.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have a "www.gjh.me.uk" domain with three e-mail accounts set up. Messages are sent via the 1&1 servers on which the domain is hosted.
I maintain a web site for Glossop Heritage Trust which has a domain "http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/" with a number of e-mail accounts set up. Messages are sent via the servers on which the domain is hosted.
Current ISP is Virgin Media so I have a NTLWorld e-mail account. Messages are sent via the Virgin Media servers
I have a gmail account as a result of having an Android tablet. Messages are sent via Google's servers.

In all cases the "reply to" default is the sender address though it is possible (in the first two cases at least) to set up e-mail accounts such that incoming mails are forwarded to another address.

It is also possible for someone who wants to reply to a message received from a gmail account (say) to change the address to another that they know the sender has before they send the message.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I forgot to add. In Eudora (on laptop & netbook) and the e-mail client on the tablet I simply have all my e-mail accounts set up. That way I see all my e-mails in one place no matter which address they have been sent to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
WHOOOOOSHHHHH

that was the sound of the post going straight over my head:ROFLMAO:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I have a domain and I use that domain address to send and receive emails, the problem is not receiving but sending...,

Let me explain...

I use shiftzz@noitsnotmydomain.co.uk
The company who hosts my domain has supplied me with the incoming server settings.

I am using my g-mail settings to send, but sometimes the recipient sends a reply through gmail not the shiftzz@noitsnotmydomain.co.uk address.

Any suggestions, and I am not thinking about a mail server or anything expensive,,

Ta

One of the features of using a @gmail.com to send and receive your e-mail via a domain name is that your gmail account will always appear in the "reply" rather then the "replyto" address as it is treated as an alias. Depending on who is replying to your e-mail depends on which address is picked out and used by the system.

The best solution for this is to set up Google Apps. This means that you can still use GMail.com you log in using your @noitsnotmydomain.co.uk name. I set this up for all my clients.

It is free for up to 10 accounts. For instructions on how to set it up, go here:
Link Removed

You will be required to log into your control panel with your hosting company and update the MX Records. At the end you will be able to:

1.) Log into gmail.com using shiftzz@noitsnotmydomain.co.uk and benefit from Google's interface / free storage. This will also be your Google username for any other Google services you use.

2.) Send and receive e-mail using only shiftzz@noitsnotmydomain.co.uk with no other names being required.

3.) Connect to your e-mail using Google's server information but again access your own domain name related e-mails.

4.) Have upto 10 @noitsnotmydomain.co.uk addresses operating as above - all for free.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Both Jill and I only created gmail accounts because it is necessary for usage of our Android devices.

We've always kept them separate from other accounts and only used them on the Android devices because Google's privacy record sometimes appears to be lacking. This Story in the news today doesn't encourage us to link the gmail accounts to anything else.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back