How much for Gaslow conversion (1 Viewer)

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Just been ringing around for a price to have 2 x 6kg gaslow bottles and all the bits and bobs that go with them fitted. (apparantly because its pre 2004 there are some additional bits).

Can any one offer up any prices previously paid (fitted) so that i know whats what in the world of MH gas costs please.

Oh, one other question, do all the 2002-2006 left hand drive ducatos etc have electrically adjusted headlamps or were some manual?

Many thanks :thumb:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I would say that if you can change a gas bottle, you are probably competent enough to fit your own Gaslow kit. The only detractor from this would be if you wanted the filler cut into the side of your van rather then inside the locker.

The fitting instructions are available here:
Link Removed

If you don't have a 30mbar bulkhead regulator you will need one fitting to install the kit, which makes things a little more complicated and perhaps a professional install a better route.

I've had 3 Gaslow kits in my previous vans and fitted 5 in total. They were all purchased from Waudbys who will price match any price you've seen online

http://www.waudbys.co.uk

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We got a single 11kg Gaslow bottle and fittings from Waudby's who price matched for us too. :thumb: The chap even connected the bottle in the locker for me and checked it was sound, I just had to put in the bracket and fit the filler/hose in the locker. :Smile: When we changed vans I just moved it all across myself and fitted the bracket in the gas locker again, very easy. To be perfectly honest even if you wanted to fit the filler in the bodywork it wouldn't be a major problem (so long as you're not squeamish about drilling holes in your pride and joy! :Eeek: ).

I am just wondering why you are opting for 2 x 6kg bottles though, rather than just one 11kg?

I would double check about having a 30mbar regulator fitted - on the Gaslow website fitting pdf it says:

NOTE: As a rule, Motorhomes and Caravans built before 2004 should not
have the 30mbar retro-fitted. However, depending on the year of manufacture,
the gas appliances fitted may also be set to work at 30mbar – check your gas appliance booklet.

Those of you with imported vans please check the regulator information disc for its
working pressure. There is normally a yellow information sticker inside the
cylinder locker. For European vans the pressure is 30mbar but some older vans from Germany and Holland could be 50mbar. Imports from USA are set for Propane at 28mbar – do NOT fit a 37mbar UK regulator; however you could fit the 30mbar due to its better performance.

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/pdf/sdmc_2009_gaslow_brochure.pdf

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

S

stagman

Deleted User
Just been ringing around for a price to have 2 x 6kg gaslow bottles and all the bits and bobs that go with them fitted. (apparantly because its pre 2004 there are some additional bits).

Can any one offer up any prices previously paid (fitted) so that i know whats what in the world of MH gas costs please.

Oh, one other question, do all the 2002-2006 left hand drive ducatos etc have electrically adjusted headlamps or were some manual?

Many thanks :thumb:

Try this web site this is where I got all that was needed for my Gaslow conversion http://www.gasproducts.co.uk/

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
See already in the space of just a few posts there is some confusion over this ere regulator, this is why i am going to let East Coast leisure do the job!

The quote i have had from them is £650 all in, looking at the cost of all parts I think thats not too bad, opinions please........

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
We had a single 13kg refillable with contents gauge and external fill point
For less than half your quoted cost.
I'd have a look at alugas, it's a worthwhile saving:thumb:

Cheers. Nige

S

stagman

Deleted User
See already in the space of just a few posts there is some confusion over this ere regulator, this is why i am going to let East Coast leisure do the job!

The quote i have had from them is £650 all in, looking at the cost of all parts I think thats not too bad, opinions please........

They are basically charging you around £300 for an hours work :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Well, honest truth ( and I really cannot find ANY polite words for this, try as I might ), they are absolutely taking the bloody pi$$ big time.

It really makes my blood boil when I see this sort of thing.. There are many good dealers out there but there are those that should wear a mask.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just dug out the receipt for the Alugas conversion I have

The full kit with all the extras was £225 ( Show price ) and they offered to fit it for £60.00

I fitted it myself in 40 minutes or so and then got a gas fitter to pop along and check everything for me.. gave him a drink for his trouble and my peace of mind

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Ok, has anybody actually fitted this to a PRE 2004 van? What is the crack with the regulator, and exactly what would I need to buy to complete the job.

At a risk of sounding stroppy here I have never done motorhoming nor gas fitting so need something more than a link to instructions for seasoned motorhomers/gas fitters or 'I did it myself and it was easy' answers. Sorry:Blush:

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We had 2 x 6kg bottles with autochanger and filler (fitted inside locker) all pipes stainless steel supplied £400 approx and paid a gas fitter £50 to fit and test a couple of years ago.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ok, has anybody actually fitted this to a PRE 2004 van? What is the crack with the regulator, and exactly what would I need to buy to complete the job.

At a risk of sounding stroppy here I have never done motorhoming nor gas fitting so need something more than a link to instructions for seasoned motorhomers/gas fitters or 'I did it myself and it was easy' answers. Sorry:Blush:

If you want to bell me ( 01842 754415 any time from 9 am to 10pm ) I will give you the lowdown.....
Typing it on here does not allow you to ask a question at any point of the job ( so to speak )

Equally, as you are more or less up the road from me, if you do buy a kit you are most welcome to come over ( I am in Thetford, Norfolk ) and I will do it with you / do it while you assist.. no problem :thumb:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
That is a very kind and generous offer Jaws, one which I may well take you up on.:thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If you can get things organised in the next couple of weeks all the better.. We are off and running for a while on the the 15th of next month, but before then I can always shuffle work etc around, no problem :Smile:

OP
OP
Emmenay

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
We are also hoping to be away from the 10th of next month, I say hoping as I am currently off work recovering from pneumona.

If I can get an idea of exactly the kit I need I will certainly be able to work around your schedule :thumb:

S

stagman

Deleted User
If you want to bell me ( 01842 754415 any time from 9 am to 10pm ) I will give you the lowdown.....
Typing it on here does not allow you to ask a question at any point of the job ( so to speak )

Equally, as you are more or less up the road from me, if you do buy a kit you are most welcome to come over ( I am in Thetford, Norfolk ) and I will do it with you / do it while you assist.. no problem :thumb:

What a fantastic offer ,hope you got a long driveway :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
with a family like mine, all with motorhomes and caravans, a BIG parking area is a prerequisite ! :Eeek:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hee hee, ISTR no vehicular access to the front of John's house! Just a large parking space for a hundred and four and twenty Blackbirds ......

Re 6kg v 13lg bottles, there would be plenty of room in our locker for 2 x 13kg bottles, in fact that's what we purchased (direct from GasLow at Loughborough)

Unfortunately Mr Swift made the gas locker door just a smidge too narrow to get a 13kg one in ! Ordinary equivalent sized Calor/Propane bottles go in NP whatsoever.

So another little trip back to Lough to swap em .... all part of the joy of getting to know your new purchase .....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back