Jul 19, 2012
Mobile
Funster No
MH
transit rimor ng6
Exp
newbie 1 week
Hi there,
I am trying to get my motor home air-conditioning working with my inverter. At the moment i have
2x leisure batteries, 1x 110amp and 1 x 85amp these are wired up to a ring 2100 inverter and is charging via a split charger from my alternator. I am not getting sufficient charge to keep the batteries topped whilst driving the split charge wires are getting warm and obviously the aircon unit is drawing more than i am putting in, according to the inverter i am drawing 270w (inc fridge). I am planning on a trip to Greece soon and will require the aircon to work whilst driving, could you advise
Me what i would need to to get this working correctly i.e solar panels, extra batterys.

Kind regards
Stuart

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
What's the size of your A/C system powerwise? I think you could be asking a bit much of your battery/inverter setup. Solar panels are unlikely to give sufficient top up charge and your van alternator will only charge up to it's rated capacity whilst on the move.
You can't get more out than you're putting in...::bigsmile:
I'd be interested to read if anyone else has achieved this.
My last van we had cab A/C for on the move and a 240V roof system for on site. The most I ever used the inverter for was the toaster, and that was with a three leisure battery setup!:Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am sorry to tell you that wont work. Your aircon will pull more than your alternator will put in. Add to that the fridge and all the other bits and pieces that run from your batteries and it becomes a definite no no.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Am sorry to tell you that wont work. Your aircon will pull more than your alternator will put in. Add to that the fridge and all the other bits and pieces that run from your batteries and it becomes a definite no no.

That's what I thought....:thumb:

OP
OP
S

Stuartandshaz

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
Mobile
Funster No
MH
transit rimor ng6
Exp
newbie 1 week
air con

Its a dometic b1500 and no its not working, just bought a 100watt solar panel and controller not sure if it will help the alternator out in hot weather, still need to fit it, and will probably put a 3rd leasure battery on with it. Wish i had bought a van with cab aircon:cry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
just bought a 100watt solar panel and controller not sure if it will help the alternator out in hot weather

A bit. Your alternator is more like 800W maybe more.

But that 100W is with the panel pointing direct at unobstructed sun, just being flat loses you 30%.

The aircon is rated 800W.

So you aren't that far off but you will be running everything in "She'll no take it Capn."

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A bit. Your alternator is more like 800W maybe more.

But that 100W is with the panel pointing direct at unobstructed sun, just being flat loses you 30%.

The aircon is rated 800W.

So you aren't that far off but you will be running everything in "She'll no take it Capn."
only in heating mode Brian....cooling mode is 650watts.

Technical Data
Type Roof
Cooling capacity (kW) 1.5
Full Load, cooling (A) 2.9
Capacity (BTU/h) 5200
Power (V/Hz) 230 / 50
Refrigerant R407c
Dimensions (L x W x H) (mm) 980 x 650 x 235
Dimensions (roof opening) (mm) 400 x 400
Net weight (kg) 30
Circuit (A /sec) 14/0.15
Consumption, cooling mode (W) 650
Consumption, heating mode (W) 800
Fan speed (kW) 2.0
Fuse (A) 4
Roof thickness (mm) 25-45

a minimum of 54ah from the battery/alternator plus losses....so the alternator should be man enough, just.....but the engine wont be charging the leisure batteries at that rate.

you would need to run the inverter/aircon from the engine battery ONLY with the engine running.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
you say cables are getting hot!!!!!!!!! Fit larger dia cables before you have a fire and make sure everything is fused to suit. That will gain you a little more power rather than lose it to heat.:thumb:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
air con on the move

Hi there,
I am trying to get my motor home air-conditioning working with my inverter. At the moment i have
2x leisure batteries, 1x 110amp and 1 x 85amp these are wired up to a ring 2100 inverter and is charging via a split charger from my alternator. I am not getting sufficient charge to keep the batteries topped whilst driving the split charge wires are getting warm and obviously the aircon unit is drawing more than i am putting in, according to the inverter i am drawing 270w (inc fridge). I am planning on a trip to Greece soon and will require the aircon to work whilst driving, could you advise
Me what i would need to to get this working correctly i.e solar panels, extra batterys.

Kind regards
Stuart

I have a freshlight on my van. It draws approx 5 amps when cooling on 240v.
That is approx 60 amps on 12v - I am advised you need a uprated alternator to power this and big, big cables.
I suspect not much change from a big "k" for the invertor kit and fitting. Alternator extra!!!!
Ouch!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
you say cables are getting hot!!!!!!!!! Fit larger dia cables before you have a fire and make sure everything is fused to suit. That will gain you a little more power rather than lose it to heat.:thumb:

That's the most IMPORTANT part that I picked-up on from the posting too!!! :Eeek:

Just stop doing it the way you are currently - if you set fire to your camper you might not get it replaced by your insurance company as you are doing something 'unadvisable' with it ... and doing so knowlingly!!!!!:whatthe:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Simple answer........

Go North for your holidays, then you won't need air-con

Try Abisko in Sweden

:winky:

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
In an American RV, start on board generator whilst travelling, it will burn about a gallon every two hours and then run both house air con units. :ROFLMAO: :Tongue1:

Super Cool. :Cool: :Cool:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have a freshlight on my van. It draws approx 5 amps when cooling on 240v.
That is approx 60 amps on 12v - I am advised you need a uprated alternator to power this and big, big cables.
I suspect not much change from a big "k" for the invertor kit and fitting. Alternator extra!!!!
Ouch!

Nearer 100A I'd say. The average leisure battery could take that for about a quarter of an hour.

OP
OP
S

Stuartandshaz

Free Member
Jul 19, 2012
Mobile
Funster No
MH
transit rimor ng6
Exp
newbie 1 week
air con

well just spent approx £800 in total on items that will help a little but not do the job, Solar panel came this morning so will get that fitted first then i will try running the inverter from the starting battery and give that a test. the split charge wires are only getting hot when using the invertor with the aircon unit, its wired correctly and using the recomended size of wire so this should not be an issue if its not running the inverter or the aircon. Actually going to live in the van as we have sold our house and this is the only home we got.
Having lived in Bulgaria for the last 8 years i know how hot it is in the area's of europe we are going to be traveling through so the air con is very important (98 degrees in Bulgaria the other day) so we are going to melt driving in that.:cry:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Nearer 100A I'd say. The average leisure battery could take that for about a quarter of an hour.

You are correct Brian - 100amps

I need to go back to school or grow some more fingers :Doh:

bungle.bear

Free Member
Oct 14, 2011
peterborough
Funster No
MH
Self build van conversion
Exp
only in heating mode Brian....cooling mode is 650watts.

Technical Data
Type Roof
Cooling capacity (kW) 1.5
Full Load, cooling (A) 2.9
Capacity (BTU/h) 5200
Power (V/Hz) 230 / 50
Refrigerant R407c
Dimensions (L x W x H) (mm) 980 x 650 x 235
Dimensions (roof opening) (mm) 400 x 400
Net weight (kg) 30
Circuit (A /sec) 14/0.15
Consumption, cooling mode (W) 650
Consumption, heating mode (W) 800
Fan speed (kW) 2.0
Fuse (A) 4
Roof thickness (mm) 25-45

Using the AC figures,

Voltage x current = power, 230v x 2.9A = 667watts. if we now convert this to DC not taking into account losses.
667watts divide 12V = 56A

I suspect by the time you take losses into account plus fridge and battery charging you will be closer to 70Amps. I personally do not think your vans standard alternator will keep up with this kind of current.

You could fit a larger alternator with a sterling B2B charge regulator and replace all of the cabling to suit the higher current flow, as well as a higher current spilt charge relay, but I suspect this could be close to the cost of having a on board generator, plus with a on board generator you can use the AC when not driving along without a hook up.

Anthony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back