Leisure Battery connection help (1 Viewer)

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
::bigsmile:In its simplest form, all you need to do is join the two batteries with a length of red cable and a length of black cable (live and earth). Battery connectors (live and earth) are purchased from any car spares shop and cost about a quid each. You just connect live to live and negative to negative, both batteries will then be charged and avai;lable for use.

There are loads of more complicated and expensive ways of doing it, with a miriad of gadgets to fit .........if you want to.::bigsmile:

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I want to add another leisure battery. What is the connection I need to connect the 2 batteries

Shirl

+FUSE to FUSE+
- to -

That's the easy bit, but how far away will the new battery be ?

If they are very close the fuses might not be needed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
they will be more or less next to eachother....Does it matter that the batteries are not the same power...125amp and a 85 amp? I dont think there is enough room to add a bigger battery

Shirl

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Shirl, no it does not matter but make sure to get a test on the old battery to make sure it is good :thumb:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
they will be more or less next to eachother....Does it matter that the batteries are not the same power...125amp and a 85 amp? I dont think there is enough room to add a bigger battery

Shirl

No problem. Since there is little chance of the + cable shorting to ground ( you route it well ) then a single fuse, 50A should do just in case one battery fails dramatically. Halfords will sell you fuse, cable and connectors. They do some small reels of pretty thick loudspeaker cable. Colour does not matter of course.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
con-tiki

con-tiki

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
since 2009
No problem. Since there is little chance of the + cable shorting to ground ( you route it well ) then a single fuse, 50A should do just in case one battery fails dramatically. Halfords will sell you fuse, cable and connectors. They do some small reels of pretty thick loudspeaker cable. Colour does not matter of course.

Where do I site the fuse? I have bought a positive and negative cable which has round connectors on and a set of 2 battery terminal adapters from Halfords.

Shirl

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Where do I site the fuse? I have bought a positive and negative cable which has round connectors on and a set of 2 battery terminal adapters from Halfords.

Shirl

In the positive link, you'll have to break the wire and graft in the fuse, then if either batter suddenly shorted out ( very unlikely ) instead of the cable setting on fire the fuse pops.

If the positive cable was long or at risk of shorting to chassis ( the battery negative ) you'd put a fuse close to each battery + to protect both of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back