Singer sewing machine experts (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I know that you are out there. Have just dug the mother in laws old singer out of the barn as my wife now seems to be into sewing. It is an old hand operated model but it has an electric light fastened to it.
It has the model or serial number ED791595 stamped on the side. Does this mean anything?
Does anyone know if I can get this serviced?
Thanks.
Paul

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
The serial number will give you it's year of manufacture and yes you should be able to get it serviced - I used to do them many many years ago when I worked for Singer.

Scotjimland is defo the guy to ask!!:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Paul

that is the serial .. and it dates it to 1946 and is a model 99K , made in Scotland at the Kilbowie plant in Clydebank

they made 10,000 of that model in that year

Servicing:

there are shops who do it but they are really easy to work on and seldom need more than a good clean .. and oiling.

If badly gummed up with old oil you can clean them with any degreaser.. paraffin works well.. then a re-lub using proper sewing machine oil.. get this on line or from any sewing machine shop ,. don't use car engine oil or 3 in 1 oil .. they dry out and gum up ..

This is a good site to start research .. Broken Link Removed

This site has downloadable easy to follow PDF overhauling manuals
http://www.tfsr.org/publications/technical_information/sewing_machine_manual/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nirvanauk
May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
Jim,
Thanks for that. I'll try and send a pic although every time I've tried it in the past it tells me that the file size is too big. Can I email it to you from my iPhone?
Cheers.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim,
Thanks for that. I'll try and send a pic although every time I've tried it in the past it tells me that the file size is too big. Can I email it to you from my iPhone?
Cheers.

yes please... scotjimland(at)gmail.com

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim,
I've sent over 4 separate photos, just ignor the dog eating my shoe!
Thanks.
Paul

Just looking at them..

It's defo a 99K .. an early model.. fitted with the 'Singer Light' .. it was marketed as a portable .. a 3/4 size machine but still heavy.

Looks like it's been neglected .. but will clean up fine..

if you need any help getting it sewing just email me .. or call, I'll email my phone numbers

Heathz14

Free Member
Aug 14, 2012
Australia
Funster No
MH
Don't own
Exp
New
Help

Hey Jim,

I wondered if you would be able to help me and I'd be very grateful if you are able to.

I just bought a second hand Singer 467 - from 1961 I believe. Was sold in good working order but I've no idea when it was last used. Looks to be in good nick, but when I plug it in, the Motor runs but no movement with the needle. If I loosen the fly wheel for the bobbin, the flywheel and bobbin wonder turn, tighten it back up again and nothing!

I've taken off the top plate and face plate and nothing is moving inside even though the motor is running. There isn't any dust but it doesn't seem to be very lubricated. But I'm not sure I should be taking bits apart without a bit of direction.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

heather

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hey Jim,

I wondered if you would be able to help me and I'd be very grateful if you are able to.

I just bought a second hand Singer 467 - from 1961 I believe. Was sold in good working order but I've no idea when it was last used. Looks to be in good nick, but when I plug it in, the Motor runs but no movement with the needle. If I loosen the fly wheel for the bobbin, the flywheel and bobbin wonder turn, tighten it back up again and nothing!

I've taken off the top plate and face plate and nothing is moving inside even though the motor is running. There isn't any dust but it doesn't seem to be very lubricated. But I'm not sure I should be taking bits apart without a bit of direction.

Any ideas??

Thanks in advance

heather

Hi Heather

it was made between 1968 - 1969 .. and I'm afraid not one I have much knowledge of, it's a bit modern for me.. :roflmto:

If it's the model I'm thinking of, does it have an enclosed motor .. (no external belt) ? If so it has an internal drive belt , this may be broken.. but without actually looking at it... . sorry, I can't help much more ..

There is a Yahoo Singer sewing machine group who have a good forum that may be worth posting on..

good luck

Last edited:

Stipe

Free Member
Aug 28, 2014
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi i have an Singer sewing machine model 12, by the serial it is from 1875 germany, serial no: . I have a few question about. Should i restore her proffesional? Or should i do nothing? here are some pictures. She is working, all original, belt missing. What is the value yet , and restored you think ? ScotJimlandDSCF4694.JPG DSCF4704.JPG DSCF4706.JPG DSCF4696.JPG
DSCF4699.JPG
DSCF4705.JPG

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
we have a hand one we use it regular I used wd40 to clean it up the gave it a good blow of with air from the composure it work a treat it was only gumed up with old oil and dust.
bill

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi Stipe .. I have replied to your email ..

pasted here for interested Fun members :

Nice old machine, but in poor condition .. thanks for showing me the pictures.. serial number dates it to around 1875- 6

a badly restored machine will reduce it's value.. a machine that has been sympathetically restored to what a 'used machine' looks like is worth while..

ie.. do not paint or re chrome any parts

if you want to do yourself there is a lot of helpful tips and advice on ISMACS

it really is a labour of love.. I do it as a hobby, not to make money ... having it done professionally would cost more than it is worth.

Sorry, I don't do valuations as there as so many factors to consider.. but old machines of this era in good working order will fetch good money.. maybe over £100 .. poor machines such as what you have at present considerably less .. I've seen them go at auction for £25

ebay is a good place to do valuation research.. look at completed sales ..

Bottom line, if you want a hobby, spend time stripping it down and cleaning every part, . follow ISMACS advice.. after you do that you will want to keep her... good luck and let me know what you decide.

EDIT

I should have said that age isn't a guide to value.. generally speaking, an old machine that was made by the million has little value ..

for example.. a 1950s 222k model will fetch in excess of £200.. one in excellent condition maybe closer to £300 .. simply because they were a lot fewer made and are highly desirable..

keep an eye open for it at boot sales.. and snap the hand off the seller..it's a 1/2 size portable.. made with cast aluminum .. a first for Singer

222reds500.jpg

Bottom line

Regarding machine value:
1) The super rare will always appreciate whatever the condition.
2) The super common will appreciate provided the condition is good.
3) The super common in poor condition will never appreciate.
4) Poor restoration markedly reduces the value of any item

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My wife has the machine above rescued form a friends loft she uses it a lot quilting prefers it to her modern machine. She asked other day is she can take it with us in van lol

And why not.. take up little room and not very heavy .. and it can come in useful for all sorts of jobs when away in the van..
The 222k and it's sister, the 221k are fantastic little machines.. both my wife and daughter use them for quilting and other projects.. this is Charlottte learning to sew quilting triangles together on it about 2 years ago ..
DSC_7854.JPG

I use a 201k Mk 1 for everyday work.. it is probably the best machine Singer ever made.. It is a heavy beast.. weights in at around 25lbs .. could hardly be described as portable..

It can sew just about anything you chuck at it.. heavy leather, many layers of canvas and denim etc.. extremely useful bit of kit.. I've made all sorts with it, from canvas bags to window awnings.. upholstery for vans etc

It has 'drop feed-dogs' for freehand embroidery and a reverse lever.. which can be seen on the right of the head.

inside the head it uses helical gears and shafts to transfer the power .. this makes it very quiet, and smooth.. the stitching looks like rows of rice laid end to end.. straight and regular.. still used as a benchmark by modern machines ..... another Singer first..

It had hardly been used and still had the grease poof wrapping paper on some of the accessories, the original Singer receipt and warranty .. all complete .. Purchased in 1952 and given as a wedding present to the couple I bought it from..

DSC_7814.JPG

The Singer baby Model 20 .. not really a toy, was sold to encourage children to take up sewing.. now highly collectable.. and yes, it sews well, and could be used for small repairs... and worth around £150.. with original box in good condition.. double that figure.
Unsure of age as they were not given serial numbers, manufactured from the 1920s until around 1950

DSC_7925.JPG

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
This forum is just brilliant really interesting post (think a lot of us) have one tucked away somewhere, but what made me smile 2 first time posters on motorhome forum posting on sewing machines ::bigsmile: ... :welc:S
Now off to dig my mums old singer out of the attic.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This forum is just brilliant really interesting post (think a lot of us) have one tucked away somewhere, but what made me smile 2 first time posters on motorhome forum posting on sewing machines ::bigsmile: ... :welc:S
Now off to dig my mums old singer out of the attic.

and when you do.. please post some pictures.. would love to see them ..
careful not to hurt yourself.. it will be a heavy lift..

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
I wasnt interested in sewing machines one little bit but my wifes little machine was a joy to get out the box and fire up after many many years. Its looks nice feels nice sounds nice jut has an air of grace and quality about it I also enjoyed doing a little research on it It still smells a little musty though

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wasnt interested in sewing machines one little bit but my wifes little machine was a joy to get out the box and fire up after many many years. Its looks nice feels nice sounds nice jut has an air of grace and quality about it I also enjoyed doing a little research on it It still smells a little musty though

You may have found this site on the featherweights ..http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/featherweight/fhome/

SEWING MACHINE RESEARCH LINKS

http://www.ismacs.net/sewing_machine_articles/sewing_machine_research_links.html#Repair

As they say.. it runs like a sewing machine.. If only motorhomes were built like a Singer..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
like jim i also have a 201k bit later than jims . mines a brown /fawn colour but it handles everything . i used it for car upholstery, sewing old lorry sheets . you name it it handles it . doesnt like foam back material but sew through tissue paper it works . mind these days silicon spray helps .
my dad was a singer mechanic . my mum a tailor dressmaker . i was taught sewing as a child . had this machine for years . it was secondhand when i got it . number ep853909 , bet jim can tell us more about it than i know .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
like jim i also have a 201k bit later than jims . mines a brown /fawn colour but it handles everything . i used it for car upholstery, sewing old lorry sheets . you name it it handles it . doesnt like foam back material but sew through tissue paper it works . mind these days silicon spray helps .
my dad was a singer mechanic . my mum a tailor dressmaker . i was taught sewing as a child . had this machine for years . it was secondhand when i got it . number ep853909 , bet jim can tell us more about it than i know .

Yes, I know the model Alan , it's the MK 4 . the serial dates it to 1960 .. and the K tells us it was made in the Singer plant in Kilbowie Scotland
I have two, gave one to my son.. made with cast aluminum they are a lot lighten than the Mk1 cast iron model ..

Arguably not just the best Singer, but the best sewing machine ever made..

some good reading on the 201 http://www.sewalot.com/singer_201k_sewalot.htm

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
works for me . my mum had a new singer about 1960 did button holes sewed on buttons etc embroidery . think it was one of the first models that did . was made in germany i think . might be wrong . we might have discussed it before i think . my brother ended up with that one .
its amazing being able to sew is a real great feeling .
re did my teardrop curtains and seat covers . jan my partner at the time couldnt believe i could do it . its along way from welding or fixing trucks but gives nice satisfaction .

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
I'm thinking of buying a 201K for general use.
Am I better with an older earlier one or a later one? What are the differences, other than the metal type?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
for example.. a 1950s 222k model will fetch in excess of £200.. one in excellent condition maybe closer to £300 .. simply because they were a lot fewer made and are highly desirable..

keep an eye open for it at boot sales.. and snap the hand off the seller..it's a 1/2 size portable.. made with cast aluminum .. a first for Singer

222reds500.jpg

Now that's the type of machine I want for the motorhome - I'd be happy with the white one (!) - which is actually pale green. Condition not that important if it goes as I want to use it not sit and admire it!

I have a lot of old sewing machines - Singer, Jones and an Alpha. I just hate to see them thrown out or broken up. Treadle machines always seem to make more at auction as people toss the machine and make tables with the bases. Hand crank machines with wear can go for as little as £2. :sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm thinking of buying a 201K for general use.
Am I better with an older earlier one or a later one? What are the differences, other than the metal type?

Short answer .. none.. identical mechanically, using shafts and helical gears, which contribute to it's smooth running, straight stitches and quiet running..
however, I prefer the cast iron model .. the weight gives it more stability when sewing heavyweight fabrics...

Shame you don't live closer , I have an electric Mk2 , cast aluminum 201k in a table looking for a good home.. if you are passing pop in ..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have a lot of old sewing machines - Singer, Jones and an Alpha. I just hate to see them thrown out or broken up. Treadle machines always seem to make more at auction as people toss the machine and make tables with the bases. Hand crank machines with wear can go for as little as £2. :sad:
Don't you go encouraging Jill :) At a boot sale earlier this year there was a half size Vesta for a tenner, which seemed to be working so it had to be bought :)

When we got home Jill found it had no shuttle so consulted the oracle that is eBay. That resulted in a "shuttle that will probably fit" and a "spares or repairs machine in case it doesn't fit".

So Jill now has two working Vesta machines but that cheap tenner turned into fifty quid :cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back