LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I have Gaslow fitted and I have found it ok, but, the filler is on the inside of the cylinder/gas bottle cupboard.

The issue I have is that its position makes it hard to connect up to LPG pump and lock on, as the locking lever catches on the cupboard door.

I am now thinking about moving the filler connector and was wondering where Funsters would suggest is the best position.,

a) On the cupboard door,
b) On the bodywork.
c)Inside.

Suggestions would be appreciated and where would cause the least 'issues' overseas.

Thanks

Dave

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine is on the body, just to the rear of the gas locker door. Because the door is slightly smaller than the locker this means the back of the filler is within the locker so no need to pass the pipes through anything.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have Gaslow fitted and I have found it ok, but, the filler is on the inside of the cylinder/gas bottle cupboard.

The issue I have is that its positing makes it hard to connect up to LPG pump and lock on, as the locking lever catches on the cupboard door.

I am now thinking about moving the filler connector and was wondering where Funsters would suggest is the best position.,

a) On the cupboard door,
b) On the bodywork.
c)Inside.

Suggestions would be appreciated and where would cause the least 'issues' overseas.

Thanks

Dave

For least issues when filling ..

Bodywork would be the best place..

Cupboard door, second best. My reason for saying so is that the connecting hose is being flexed every time you open the door which can lead to leaks .. or even a fracture in the hose..

Inside as you have discovered can be awkward to access and also makes filling station attendants nervous ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Found this pic. You can see the filler.

Attachments

• IMG_0172crop.jpg
    IMG_0172crop.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 92

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My feelings on the topic are...

On a FIRM part of the body (with reinforcement if necessary)... Those filling pipe thingies are, as you know, heavy.

Not on the door, as mentioned above, too much flexing...

Not inside as it might, only might, on rare occasions cause problems at some stations when filling...

JJ :Cool:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
That was an A class picture but you're locker may also have space? if not is the skirt strong enough as there is space to the rear of the side marker reflector. It will cope with a slightly curved surface.
My autocruise is on a double curve
filler1-M.jpg

filler2-M.jpg

Mar 2, 2011
uk
Funster No
MH
c.. autocruise starblazer
Exp
8 years
Initially I opted for the internal bracket for the filler ( didnt want to be drilling holes in MH bodywork ) . However , changed my mind when I saw the bulk of the LPG pump filler nozzle.Went for the external filler point , positioned on panel body of MH , immediately to the side of the locker door.This gives rigidity to the fitting , no need to strengthen plastic skirt fill points etc . Also , the external filler point goes direct in to gas locker ,so no drilling or passing pipes through other areas of MH.... Like other replies , I would not opt for the on door filler , too much flexing of pipes.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The bottom of the gaslocker is usually lower than the hab floor so quite easy to put a 40mm hole through the side below floor level for the fill pipe. I put a 40mm brass bush and locknut on mine.
gaslow-X2.jpg

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Ours is inside the locker, affixed to the roof of the locker with a bracket supplied by Gaslow with the rest of the bits. The only flexing the pipe would ever need to do is if we ever needed to take the bottles out, which we haven't and surely you'd disconnect the bottles in situ first, anyway, if that was the case?

Like eg if we changed the van and removed the system to put in the new van?

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
I'm really interested in all these replies too as I am planning to have a Gaslow system installed soon. A suggestion that was made to me which seemed sensible was to have the filling point at the back of the van. This can then be filled from a pump on either side of the the van taking away the need to drive into the the garage on the "correct" side.

If anyone knows of someone who could fit my system in or around Somerset/Dorset I would be grateful.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I'm really interested in all these replies too as I am planning to have a Gaslow system installed soon. A suggestion that was made to me which seemed sensible was to have the filling point at the back of the van. This can then be filled from a pump on either side of the the van taking away the need to drive into the the garage on the "correct" side.

If anyone knows of someone who could fit my system in or around Somerset/Dorset I would be grateful.

Link Removed

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I saw somewhere that French filling stations will only allow filling through an inlet in the bodywork - opening the door is a definite no no. Not sure of the legal status of that.

We're having a Gaslow single cylinder system fitted this week - the cylinder will be tucked into the corner of the compartment away from the door. The filler will be fitted to the side of the van just behind the compartment door. The space immediately behind the door will be for a reserve 6kg Calor cylinder in case the Gaslow system doesn't work for some reason.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Thanks for the link Shiftzz.

I am planning to buy a system separately from FES Autogas and hopefully have it fitted locally. This will work out cheaper than having it supplied and fitted at a commercial dealer. However the link you sent is very useful and will remain in my favorites folder.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We're having a Gaslow single cylinder system fitted this week - the cylinder will be tucked into the corner of the compartment away from the door. The filler will be fitted to the side of the van just behind the compartment door. The space immediately behind the door will be for a reserve 6kg Calor cylinder in case the Gaslow system doesn't work for some reason.
gaslow1-L.jpg

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998

The issue I have is that its position makes it hard to connect up to LPG pump and lock on, as the locking lever catches on the cupboard door.

a) On the cupboard door,
b) On the bodywork.
c)Inside.

Thanks

Dave

I have a Rapido 799FF and have my refillable connection on the skirt just to the side of the gas locker and find no problems with filling in this position

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984

a) On the cupboard door,
b) On the bodywork.
c)Inside.

Thanks

Dave
Hi mate, I am in the process of fitting mine to the sill area so that I can feed the pipe through the bottom vent in the locker.
This also allows an easier option to remove the full system if you sell the van. It is a 75mm hole which posed a problem but I'm good at borrowing gear (I do look after it and return after use). The French and Spanish are starting to outlaw any vehicle that has to open a locker door to refuel gas. More crap for us to digest.
Hope this info helps

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'd drill the hole in the side of the locker rather than go up through the vent as it looks like your van is close to the ground already and it's less of an acute bend in your pipe

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Very good! pictures speak volumes.
A snap of the other side of the skirt would be a big bonus :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
When we changed vans I moved the Gaslow 11kg bottle to our new van and fitted the filler on the bracket on the right-hand side towards the top inside the gas locker itself. It is easy peasy to install a refillable system, after all you're only connecting the pipes etc as you would with a 'normal' gas bottle ... the 'hardest' bit is fitting the bracket which isn't rocket science ... :RollEyes:

We've had a Gaslow system now for just over 3 years and never had a problem at all with filling the bottle, either in the UK or abroad, in fact most of the time in France the attendant will offer to do it for you, and in the UK if there are any problems they'll assist.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Autogas strictly speaking is for propelling vehicles along the highway. The whole point of keeping the gas locker closed when you're in the garage is to ensure the vendor does'nt know you're filling tanks for domestic consumption. Therefore with a seperate filler away from the locker/lid, the perception is that you are filling a gas propelled vehicle. :Smile:

My view is that it's only a matter of time before the government spot the loophole and start applying different duty to LPG for propulsion, to that for domestic use, much as the Eurocrats did with red diesel for canal boats. :Sad:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I thought the point of keeping the gas locker closed was more a case of preventing the vendor from thinking you were illicitly refilling a Calor (or equivalent) bottle rather than a proper fixed installation.

There is already a difference in VAT (5% for domestic use & 20% for vehicle use) but one often has to pay the higher rate because garages are not set up to sell at two rates.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there is different duty or vat to be payed on gas either for propulsion or domestic . if you have an account with some suppliers you can get reduced amounts but only at their official depots .
there is no regulation about where the filler is fitted .lets not get carried away with the idea there is .
certainly i and another member on here get gas at a reduced rate for domestic .
its not the government but the supplier that is wrong .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back