May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
things to do things to see

Brecon market,brecon to Abergavenny canal (boat rides/hire) langorse lake near by ,Brecon theatre(next to the canal basin)Brecon army camp museum (all Zulu stuff,this is the regiment that fought them,then they made the film) lots of history in the town, if you want to travel a few miles, theres big pit near brynmawr (a mining / museum/underground experience and free,as all the museums are in Wales), storey arms (on the Merthyr Tydfil road) lovely walk up the pen y fan mountain ( pick the right day/weather) brynich campsite (caravan club)just outside of the town,with a bus stop outside to go into town,another site about 4miles out on the sennybridge road, both will take motorhomes, probably someone else will be along shortly to tell you more.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Larry99 has done an excellent collection. It is one of our favourite ares to visit. Don't miss the steam railway at Pant :

http://www.breconmountainrailway.co.uk/

The theatre he mentions has a very good restaurant.
You may like to visit Cyfarthfa Castle as well:

Link Removed

Hope this helps
Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Another recommendation for Big Pit. My wife is disabled and uses a wheelchair by prior arrangement we were taken underground, what a wonderful trip and made her day, a place she thought she would ever experience.

While underground we saw in the tunnels a group of schoolchildren coming towards us like a worm all you could see were their head lights, and in the darkness a tenor voice started singing the song there's a worm at the bottom of my garden, to be joined by voices from different parts of the pit, it sounded like a church choir and echoed all around us.

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
In Sennybridge, apart from being the location of my Chief Mechanic and fellow Funsters (Sheriff and Champers) garage, there is one of the best cafes I have ever dined at for super size, value and quality breakfasts and home made lunches... located next to the petrol station on the edge of the village.

Get your van expertly serviced/mot'd/fixed and have a nosh up while it is being done!

There are also many "set back from the road" laybys in the area where I have often over nighted in peace and quiet...

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In Sennybridge, apart from being the location of my Chief Mechanic and fellow Funsters (Sheriff and Champers) garage, [HI]there is one of the best cafes I have ever dined at for super size, value and quality breakfasts and home made lunches... [/HI]located next to the petrol station on the edge of the village.

Get your van expertly serviced/mot'd/fixed and have a nosh up while it is being done!

There are also many "set back from the road" laybys in the area where I have often over nighted in peace and quiet...

Would you believe restuarant recommendations from someone who eats, and apparently enjoys Fray Bentos pies :Eeek::Eeek:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Would you believe restuarant recommendations from someone who eats, and apparently enjoys Fray Bentos pies :Eeek::Eeek:

Each to their own... each to their own...

Judge not lest you be judged...:ROFLMAO:

Many Funsters love FB pies (which keep in a motorhome without needing a fridge) and several Funsters have dined often at the cafe (note the word cafe) mentioned in my post and I am sure will second my review... :thumb:

I hope you are not a FOODIST... :winky:

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Thirded

(not a FB lover)

The fish cakes there the other day were well worth the trip

Peter

Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
Tour Wales

has anyone been around this area going next2weeks on tour of wales
Get up to Builth wells , rhayader élan valley good scenery good pubs with fair priced meals.good camping on sites or wild

Regards dave

jackiehour

Free Member
Oct 29, 2008
Sunny Wales
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Seriously since 2007
A nice place to 'Free Camp' is the Car Park on the Promanade, in Brecon, right next to the River, it's free to camp overnight, but you have to pay between 8am and 6pm (unless you have a Blue Badge). Powys CC allows you to stopover in all their car parks for one night in seven .... handy if you are touring around :Smile:

nannyjan

Free Member
Mar 22, 2010
Forest of Dean, Glos
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New end of March 2010
Brecon Beacons

has anyone been around this area going next2weeks on tour of wales

Hi, it is a beautiful area and I went to the Brecon Beacon National Visitor Centre and they allowed me to stay overnight in their car park so that I could climb the mountains early in the morning. Spectacular views and walks a must if you are in that area. Keep smiling Nannyjan

autoswan

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Swansea
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
i`m a newbie
Hi there as said loads to see and do around Brecon but iff you travel a little bit south towards ystragunlais theres the Danarogof show caves with other attractions there if you have kids with you also down the road from there is Craig y Nos home of madam patti and a little further is the monkey sanctuary with wolvea too. I could go on theres so much to see. Croeso y Gymru :thumb:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Pen Y Fan

If you see soldiers trudging up and down Pen Y Fan with blask masking tape over their eyes BEWARE they are soldiers on SAS/SBS SF Selection and may have to shoot you to protect their identity!!Only joking!

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

Of course ! Any comments made by such a person would in my opinion have a similar credibility to the Michelin rating !

barry

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
If you see soldiers trudging up and down Pen Y Fan with blask masking tape over their eyes BEWARE they are soldiers on SAS/SBS SF Selection and may have to shoot you to protect their identity!!Only joking!

They call it "Doing the Fan Dance ".........:Cool::Cool::Cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Those lads know better than to mess with Funsters...

Firstly they know our blessed leader Jim...

Secondly, the Sheriff (Chief Mechanic John of Champers fame) who happens to be the Godfather of the area regularly visits the Officiers' mess for "consultations."

No... They might fight to the last man in wars abroad but they would never dare to mess with a Funster...

JJ

Last edited:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
mottos

SAS Who Dares Wins