Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Like most people nowadays we pay bills look after our finances communicate and generally run our lives from a pc or laptop. Its easy quick efficient and suits our lifestyle as we usually spend 6 months a year travelling.

However I've been getting more and more nervous about being cloned or someone finding a way in to our personal details and the news this week about online identity theft has made me even more nervous.

So my question is does anyone use or can anyone recommend a good Password Generator or are they just another gimmick. Do they work ? and if so how do they work ? and are they easy to use ? as I have an extremely limited ability on computers.

OP
OP
Forestboy

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Windows on an old HP laptop and a Dell PC.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Rory, I use Roboform It's superb, this is one program I just could not live without. It generates passwords, encrypts them and all I have to do is remember one good password. Never forget a password again. Roboform

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
That looks like a good solution. Also Rory, if you don't already have it installed, you might consider Rapport by Trusteer. Most of the banks recommend it and it can be used to protect any site where you have a password or might transmit sensitive information. I have it protecting MHF (in view of the top secret exchanges frequently seen here!)

http://www.trusteer.com/product/trusteer-rapport

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
Another vote here for Roboform! :thumb:

It automatically syncs between different devices e.g. home PC, laptop when travelling, mobile phone (iPhone or Android) etc.

If you're registered with loads of different sites then RF is essential for never losing your login details. It's so easy to use you can change passwords on a regular basis with just a click of the button.

Paul

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I'm a big fan. Roboform is the Dogs:Smile: All my passwords, and logins, sat behind military grade encryption, available to me no matter what machine I'm on, windows, mac smartphone etc It's not expensive, once you use the roboform trial you'll be hooked on the security and the convenience. :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
is the info kept on your computer with roboform, or online? if as you say you only need a single password to access the rest how is that password protected it seems keeping them all in one place makes it easier for a dedicated hacker

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I use roboform on Jim's recommendation and find it excellent, the only worry I have is if someone gets that one password, all your passwords are available to them. It's great to sync all passwords to your mobile phone though.

nozzmoking

Free Member
Jul 31, 2008
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Since 2008
is the info kept on your computer with roboform, or online? if as you say you only need a single password to access the rest how is that password protected it seems keeping them all in one place makes it easier for a dedicated hacker

The passwords are stored on the RF servers, so you only need to memorise the master pw. (I use a 19 character master p/w that's a mixture of letters/numbers, so pretty secure).

Here's more info on the security measures in place: http://www.roboform.com/everywhere/security

A dedicated hacker (and there have been no reports of anyone trying) would have to go to a lot of trouble to crack your account.

Another useful feature is that you can load RF on a flash drive and therefore access your account on any PC.

Last edited:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
As they are embedded in my memory, I use the registration numbers from my dad's old cars. Alpha-numeric mix with no actual words, so strong passwords, and you can combine them for longer passwords.

Then my reminder is something like Morris Minor, or Cortina, and I can keep them written down and only I will know what they mean.

I obviously don't use my own current cars.

Works for me so far.

Steve :Smile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
As they are embedded in my memory, I use the registration numbers from my dad's old cars. Alpha-numeric mix with no actual words, so strong passwords, and you can combine them for longer passwords.

Then my reminder is something like Morris Minor, or Cortina, and[HI] I can keep them written down and only I will know what they mean.[/HI]
I obviously don't use my own current cars.

Works for me so far.

Steve :Smile:

And everyone on this site of course :ROFLMAO:

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
And everyone on this site of course :ROFLMAO:

Ok, yes, I think you probably know what I mean, but just to be clear, only I will know the actual number to which "Morris Minor" refers.

For instance if I wrote "my cat's name", many people would know, and many more could easily find out what it is. Nobody but me knows the reg nos of my dad's old cars.

Sorry if I'm being dim and not getting the joke!

Steve:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back