LD Lines - any thoughts (1 Viewer)

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Hi

Never tried Portsmouth to Le Harve on LD Lines.
Anyone got any feedback, useful information - Thanks

capinpugwash

Free Member
Sep 14, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2005 (20 years Caravan before that)
This is my crossing of choice as it suits my needs. I am not saying it is the best, only that it is right for me.

They have recently put the new ship in service and it is adequate, but not of the Brittany quality. There again it does not try to be.

Loading is from the bow, so one has to do a U turn with the van when loading, something that works but slows things up a bit.

Crossings to France are normally at 11pm, so I always get a 4 berth inside cabin, even if on my own. I then arrive after a good nights sleep. I think it is worth paying extra, but others would not.

Return sailings are usually 5pm and again I get a cabin (only £12) and just kip and read.

As I said, this crossing suits me, but I live 20 miles from Portsmouth and am prepared to pay for the convenience rather than go on absolute price.

Stuart

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Used it with bikes before and found them fine--not posh but it`s only to cross the channel.
It is usually cheaper that the others.
I never tried them with a MH before but have booked up with LD to go soon---- to find the SUN:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
Came back on this ferry a couple of weeks ago.Pretty basic compared to the main ferries and the five and a half hours seemed to drag by.Wouldn't bother again at the price.

novawight

Free Member
May 14, 2010
Hayling Island
Funster No
MH
hi top,
Exp
on and off 50 years
Came back on this ferry a couple of weeks ago.Pretty basic compared to the main ferries and the five and a half hours seemed to drag by.Wouldn't bother again at the price.

yes quite agree , unless you get a cabin, it is impossible to get sleep going over,just got back last week, it is expensive for just me and van £270 return, having said that better on return trip was ok, only also about 15 miles from Pompy ,would go from Calais next time...................Del

slverdreamers

Free Member
Nov 22, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
18yrs
LD lines

Always used Le Havre crossing before LD took it over. Only overnight from Portsmouth, so does not work out much cheaper than Caen which is far more comfortable. Used it on the return last month. Lift out of order, as Peter is disabled nearly killed him trying to get him up the stairs. So would be wary about using it again.
Regards

Hi

Never tried Portsmouth to Le Harve on LD Lines.
Anyone got any feedback, useful information - Thanks

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Used it a few years ago with a load of motorcyclists. I think enough alcohol was consumed which meant we didn't give a f*** anyway.....:ROFLMAO:

Went from Portsmouth to Cherbourg and back last year. Can't remember what ferry company, but it was good. Last to load due to having to reverse on, but first off both times.....:thumb:

Prefer Portsmouth to Dover any day. The last few times we have left Dover feeling like a minor criminal with their overzealous searches and questions. We're leaving the UK for f***s sake.......:Doh:

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Have not travelled with them yet, though we were booked with them to travel this week, but due to a health problem with a friend we had to postpone our crossing. They could not have been more helpful, so first impressions are good.

Northbound we normally travel from Caen to Portsmouth; from Parc Verger we can get to Caen in good time for the evening ferry, and on landing we can reach Bristol well before midnight. Southbound we use Portsmouth to St Malo, in our view the best overnight crossing. Time for a meal after boarding before sleep in a cabin, and time again for breakfast before docking. Out of the dock gates before nine, fed and rested, and ready for the journey of 303 miles home.

OK, these crossings are not cheap, but they are convenient and cut down on driving distances both sides of the Channel.

Bob

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Have not travelled with them yet, though we were booked with them to travel this week, but due to a health problem with a friend we had to postpone our crossing. They could not have been more helpful, so first impressions are good.

Northbound we normally travel from Caen to Portsmouth; from Parc Verger we can get to Caen in good time for the evening ferry, and on landing we can reach Bristol well before midnight. Southbound we use Portsmouth to St Malo, in our view the best overnight crossing. Time for a meal after boarding before sleep in a cabin, and time again for breakfast before docking. Out of the dock gates before nine, fed and rested, and ready for the journey of 303 miles home.

OK, these crossings are not cheap, but they are convenient and cut down on driving distances both sides of the Channel.

Bob

Thanks for this, we're heading down to Brittany at the end of August, haven't yet decided which way to go, were thinking Portsmouth to Le Havre, as Margaret's parents are nearby and we need to see them.
The LD fares seem quite expensive, but we will need to decide which route to take so that we can get the trip planned. Portsmouth to Caen is sounding pretty good:thumb:

Many thanks! Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back