LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just got home from a great rally at Stratford and have been offered another camper.
The last thing on my mind was to change my FFB, BUT this does seem to good to miss.
Its an RMB 670 Silverstar on the Merc 611 chassis with the 3 ltr non turbo engine. I know this set-up is slow, but how slow. Its getting on in years but has low mileage and can only be described as mint. The layout is perfect for us and with the added bonus of a garage. It would meen a quick trip to Germany to pick it up but that's no problem. My main concern is the power output at 65kw coupled to an auto box does not seem much for a fairly big van. Any thoughts on this please.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
you will probably find its ok wont break any speed records but will just keep going on and on
being the 3 litre it will have more torque than bhp but thats what you want.
it will more than likely be screaming for mercy at 50 mph but will sit at that for ever.
can be mended by any one with spanner sense as there will be nothing on the engine to go wrong apart from the usual alternator , starter and the basic stuff it needs to run.

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
can be mended by any one with spanner sense as there will be nothing on the engine to go wrong apart from the usual alternator , starter and the basic stuff it needs to run.

Oh yes, those were the days. Or, was it just a dream?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Just got home from a great rally at Stratford and have been offered another camper.
The last thing on my mind was to change my FFB, BUT this does seem to good to miss.
Its an RMB 670 Silverstar on the Merc 611 chassis with the 3 ltr non turbo engine. I know this set-up is slow, but how slow. Its getting on in years but has low mileage and can only be described as mint. The layout is perfect for us and with the added bonus of a garage. It would meen a quick trip to Germany to pick it up but that's no problem. My main concern is the power output at 65kw coupled to an auto box does not seem much for a fairly big van. Any thoughts on this please.

If its like this one Snowbird ...that looks very nice indeed:thumb:

or this one

http://www.motorhome-travels.com/unsere-wohnmobile/rmb-silverstar.html

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If its like this one Snowbird ...that looks very nice indeed:thumb:

or this one

http://www.motorhome-travels.com/unsere-wohnmobile/rmb-silverstar.html
Thanks Mel, Its similar to the one on mobile de. Lower mileage and with the garage with bed above, the layout is as good as it gets for us. We have the twin couches at the moment which are good, but its a overcab dropdown bed with full width bathroom. The layout we have is very good for us but I just like the idea of a garage. The RMB was a very well made camper and was hellishly expensive in its day. I always thought the one we have now was a keeper but the RMB came along and it just seems too good to miss at the price they are asking. Its gross is just short of 5 ton which gives a huge payload. I know the reliability of the Merc 3ltr but am a little concerned re, the power to weight ratio. If I do buy the RMB someone is going to get a great van with my FFB for little money.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Thanks Mel, Its similar to the one on mobile de. Lower mileage and with the garage with bed above, the layout is as good as it gets for us. We have the twin couches at the moment which are good, but its a overcab dropdown bed with full width bathroom. The layout we have is very good for us but I just like the idea of a garage. The RMB was a very well made camper and was hellishly expensive in its day. I always thought the one we have now was a keeper but the RMB came along and it just seems too good to miss at the price they are asking. Its gross is just short of 5 ton which gives a huge payload. I know the reliability of the Merc 3ltr but am a little concerned re, the power to weight ratio. If I do buy the RMB someone is going to get a great van with my FFB for little money.

It will put a lot of modern vans to shame, they look solid well built van...and now a days there are that many speed restrictions coming on we will all be doing 30mph....
What does the person selling it say about it .meaning..is it underpowered
Is there any forums where you can check out the performance of the Merc 611 on RMB 670 van

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCWrOHhx02Y[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Odd signs on the mudflap, could be very confusing in the UK.
Very true, but that's not the one am after. The one am after is similar but with the large garage. The main reason for the garage is so we can put an extra freezer in there along with table and chairs.

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years

Hi Snowbird
We have the same model. They are quite rare now Very substancialy built and and very nicley appointed. Fill your boots.
Speed wise, they will cruise all day at 65 mpg. Ours is as quite as our volvo at these speeds. nothing rattles, squeeks, or bangs, no exesive noise from the engine . When you see the build you will know why they were so expensive to buy new. They have the all equipment you will need built in [Gas water tanks fresh and gray, toilet holding tank, a builtin 12 volt to main voltage, 230, inverter] a very good toilet and shower room, built in brinks cabinate, sola pannels.No C02 in the in the van, even the cooker has a seeled glas top and all combustion gas is vented out side which serves to heat the wardrobe. The over cab double bed is full size. They are also fully winterized
Our garage will take a 4 wheeler invalidity scooter, hond 2kw genny,tool box, a large draining receptical, and much more.
Spare parts for the merc are no problem, all over the counter or within 24 hrs from a merc dealer
If you manage to buy it e mail me
Best of look, Pudseykeith and Rosalie :thumb::thumb:

Last edited:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Looks. Great van Dave :smile:

Are thy out of business now thn ?

I've seen pudseys , nice kit :thumb:

Let me know if you need a lift :winky:

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi Keith, Is yours the 670. The one have been offered is a 1988 but am not put off by that. The van is mint and has been dry stored when not in use. He wants 14000 Euros for it and wont take a penny less,even though I have been working hard on him. Am holding out as long as I dare with the exchange rate going in my favour at the minute. Problem is he may find another punter and I wont find another as good as this. I know how long it took to find my FFB and that was in Spain.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
i had a RMB Sontigie 2.9diesel converter to a Turbo (the sprinter turbo fitted straight on)

it was 3500kg and ran like a dream

I do recommend the merc chassis as parts are no problem any where in Europe

good luck they might be old but built to last too

OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
This is it.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqJ,!jgE+SWZjrmOBP8brg6T-w~~60_3.jpg
    $(KGrHqJ,!jgE+SWZjrmOBP8brg6T-w~~60_3.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 78
  • $(KGrHqR,!rgE+jc(YSK0BP8brHu6ow~~60_39.JPG
    $(KGrHqR,!rgE+jc(YSK0BP8brHu6ow~~60_39.JPG
    1.5 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
Snowbird

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Well the original deal fell through but I was so impressed with the build quality I have spent the last 2 weeks tracking another RMB down. This ones a 650 and am just setting off to Germany to collect it. Wish me luck. My FFB Tabbert will be up for sale on my return.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back