LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A little assistants from some one who knows, please..

My main computer in the office/comp room has thrown a wobbly...

Yesterday it kept coming up with all sorts of windows, Cant do this cant do that..
Click here to restore, cant open office windows etc etc..

Anyway the wife had to restore todays date (Yesterday) and time, and all was fine..

Goes in to switch it on this morning and as soon as you press the "On" button... within a fraction of a second it shuts down..

Could it be a faulty "On" switch... ? I say that cos we always shut down at the computer.. and not the switch ..

Or is it a case of off to the computer doctor.. :cry:

Any idea`s ...?

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Take the side off and check that then cooling fan is still on the chip and that the cooling fins aren't full of crap...

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It's always a bit difficult without the box in front of you but it could be that something has become corrupted on the C drive so that Windows will not start properly.

You could try pressing the appropriate key to get into the BIOS, check that the settings are correct and then see if it will start one step at a time.

If not and you have a rescue CD it might be a case of using that then reinstalling application software and restoring data files from backup.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No, beeps...

Just a quick whirling noise for a fraction of a second, then thats it.. off...

Possibly a power supply or data cable problem. Check that the power and data cables plugged into the back of the hard drive are fully seated. If that doesn't work remove the power cable from the hard drive and fit one of the spares - I have known a cable go faulty but the others be OK.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
It's always a bit difficult without the box in front of you but it could be that something has become corrupted on the C drive so that Windows will not start properly.

You could try pressing the appropriate key to get into the BIOS, check that the settings are correct and then see if it will start one step at a time.

If not and you have a rescue CD it might be a case of using that then reinstalling application software and restoring data files from backup.

Thanks Graham.... not sure if we have a rescue disc.... but wouldn`t we have to start the computer to use that...

After yesterdays problems,,,, your idea about being corupted sounds feasable... :thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Most likely just needs a decoke or descaling Mo :winky:

Is them fancy words for defluffing...?

And to defluff, will a strong hoover suck the dust out of the vent bits on the sides..?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks Graham.... not sure if we have a rescue disc.... but wouldn`t we have to start the computer to use that...

After yesterdays problems,,,, your idea about being corupted sounds feasable... :thumb:

Possibly - I hadn't read your "no beeps" reply when I wrote that. If the power connections are sound, I suppose no beeps might point to a motherboard problem. If that's the case it would need a hands on computer doctor but might be cheaper to buy a new machine and shift the hard drive over (or put it in a USB caddy) to rescue the data files.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back