Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I have been asked by SWMO to ask this question, because I am only 80% sure I know the answer.
She has seen an electric mini oven she would like to buy for our new mh, that doesn't have an oven of its own. The mini oven is 800w and Sue wants to know if we can run it through a 2.5K inverter on 3 x 110 amp leisure batteries, solar charged through two solar panels, , (I have said no it will drain the batteries)

The next problem is will it require more amperage if we were to use it on the odd, and I mean odd occasions we use EHU? In France last year we turned the heating on and blew the fuses on the powere supply.

Norman on behalf of Sue

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
it will run on a much smaller inverter (1000watt) but it will also draw, including inverter inefficiencies, around 70 amps per hour....or one and a half batteries per hour.

on mains hookup it will need 3.5amps so should be OK even in europe.

Last edited:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
get her to try a double skillet they are supposed to do things ovens do and more on your gas hob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Although an oven is not usually on for hours at a time it will use a lot of battery power. A microwave will be a higher wattage but is usually only used for minutes so it is feasible (just) to run this through an inverter from batteries.
Assuming the microwave is 1200w and it is run for 15minutes it will use roughly 25Ah. Your solar panels may produce 10A in midday sunshine (depending on their size) which could recharge your batteries in about 3hours.
Your 800w oven will draw around 3.5A on EHU which will be OK even on a continental 4A supply, as long as you don't have several things going at once.

I would suggest you get a gas oven though it will be more expensive to buy.

For example http://www.jacksons-camping.co.uk/smev/ovens.htm

Or of course run your oven from a small generator which will cost even more but can be used for other purposes (such as annoying your neighbours :ROFLMAO:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In short - no ... too much draw for running off your batteries.

If you want something you can use for more than just one thing, then a double skillet would be the obvious answer - as well as being able to use it as an oven, you also then have 2 separate deep frying/cooking pans. An alternative is a Cobb BBQ which have appear to have good reviews for being used as an oven (not so much as a BBQ though!).

If you want someting to use on site, then what about a small halogen oven, we have a larger one which we use at home and it's brilliant. :Smile:

[ame=http://www.amazon.co.uk/Designer-Habitat-Premium-Halogen-complete/dp/B0070WSILO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1342303268&sr=8-3]halogen oven[/ame]

Alternatively when she gets the 'oven' feeling ... go out for a meal instead! :thumb:

Last edited:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I have a double skillet I'm selling...::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
get her to try a double skillet they are supposed to do things ovens do and more on your gas hob.

We have one of these but how do I get her to try it; its on our cooker at home and I keep hinting, "we ought to try that" and all I get is a mmmmmmmmmm.
She wants an oven to do a pasta bake, how do you do that in a double skillet?
put pasta bake in dish and place dish in skillet?
If so I will do it myself and see.

Many thanks

Norman

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have a mini oven that we use at home but would never dream of using one in the van because of power consumption that others have mentioned and the room it would take up. We've been using a double skillet for several years now and it's great.

We've never done a pasta bake in it but I would expect that using a dish (maybe a foil one?) should be successful. Worth having a go seeing as you have a DS anyway :Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have one of these but how do I get her to try it; its on our cooker at home and I keep hinting, "we ought to try that" and all I get is a mmmmmmmmmm.
She wants an oven to do a pasta bake, how do you do that in a double skillet?
put pasta bake in dish and place dish in skillet?
If so I will do it myself and see.

Many thanks

Norman

As has been suggested, use a foil dish or thinnish glass/pot one to put the pasta bake in and keep the heat LOW ... if you have a heat spreader plate/trivet use that so the heat isn't concentrated in one spot all the time. To some extent you need to 'test' how things cook by trial and error, to see what works best. I assume you normally part-cook the pasta first in boiling water before putting it in the dish with the sauce to save on cooking time in an oven?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back