LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
we are thinking of going to marjal for new year can't leave till the 27th midday so would be pushed to get there for hopefully the 30th or early 31st was concidering taking the toll roads to save time but any advice from anyone who has been there would be helpful thanks

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
If you take the Portsmouth - Santander ferry it will cut a couple of days off of your journey time. It will however cost quite a bit more even taking fuel and toll charges into consideration.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

BUT the Portsmouth-Santander ferry to northern Spain will save a lot of hassle and driving down through freezing France. We do the ferry trip to Santander every year and arrive in Spain quite refreshed for the trip south. Taking our time we get down to the bottom easy in three days. Hope you enjoy the trip whichever way you decide to do it. Safe travels.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
My wife and I sailed to Santander last January and from Santander we drove to La Cabrera and stayed at a campsite called Pico de la Miel. The second day we drove past Madrid down to Marjal.
Very easy to do in the two days. The only thing we weren't expecting was the frost on the first night. It went down to minus 5.
I forgot to say we will be there in January 2013. We had such a good time there we booked to go back for three months.

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
we are thinking of going to marjal for new year can't leave till the 27th midday so would be pushed to get there for hopefully the 30th or early 31st was concidering taking the toll roads to save time but any advice from anyone who has been there would be helpful thanks

We did the trip to Spain last year..around the 21st of December....we live in Northern France not that far from Le Touquet.(close to Calais).....we did the trip down through France in 3 days..taking our time, no rush....you could do it 2 days....or one if you like driving it is up to to you........
Then 2 days across Spain stopping at Zaragoza....travelling on the toll roads very good and quick ......but we did come back from Benicasim in Spain to France in one day on our route home.... on the toll roads.....
....we also stopped at the new Marjal after the new year....next to JohnH and wife

Last edited:
OP
OP
ukbill

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
thanks all i thought about ferry to spain but "but she who must be obeyed" ain't a good traveller when it comes to boats and if its a rough crossing then my life would be hell lol
i know i can get to barcelona in 2 days via tolls but the rushing is slowly putting me off but maybe needs must for that lovely sunshine and some good r&r

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
thanks all i thought about ferry to spain but "but she who must be obeyed" ain't a good traveller when it comes to boats and if its a rough crossing then my life would be hell lol
i know i can get to barcelona in 2 days via tolls but the rushing is slowly putting me off but maybe needs must for that lovely sunshine and some good r&r

Also, last winter, quite a few of the long crossings were cancelled due to the weather so people were transferred to crossings berthing in Northern France and having to drive, unplanned, all that way! Jane :Doh:

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs

We are booked on the Santander ferry 17th Oct. Travelling to Spain / Portugal.
Out of interest looked on my map for Marjal, but cannot find.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Malc.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
You are looking for Camping Marjal (name of site) nearest town is Catral. See the following link for directions.

Brisey.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years

We have travelled down to Alicante for the last 2 years winters and both times travelled through appalling freezing conditions. We normally go via Rouen, Orleans, Clermont Ferrand as there are virtually no tolls but very high on A75 toll free motorway so not good in freezing weather.
I would check weather forecast before you head off and if looking dodgy go via Rheims, Dijon, Lyon toll roads. It is always the clearest route as no mountains but will be the most expensive.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back