Plastic Locks -outside lockers (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The lock on the outside locker (Thetford) on my 04 Burstner 615 failed today. I took it off and was amazed to find much of the actual mechanism was plastic.
I know that you cannot make such lockers absolutely secure but surely a better lock is available - is there??
The locker is alarmed but I would like to make it physically stronger - any ideas?
Vic

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
speak to a locksmith about cam locks. The plastic parts are often a direct swap out for brass or steel versions of the actual catch and keep. You would need to reuse the outer fitting though for weather resistance

the other option is to fit additional fiamma locker locks, that fit to the door frame and swivel round and lock in place preventing the locker being opened

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
My toilet cassette compartment lock failed on a recent trip to Italy.
The catch worked ok, just wouldnt lock.
Easily fixed when I got home.
To be sure the door stayed shut when moving I used a length of duct tape over the door / surround.
Management asked if it was secure.
When I assured her it wouldnt open in transit, she asked if anyone could get into it........
Who would want to steal my shit??

Got to love 'em, dontcha?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My toilet cassette compartment lock failed on a recent trip to Italy.
The catch worked ok, just wouldnt lock.
Easily fixed when I got home.
To be sure the door stayed shut when moving I used a length of duct tape over the door / surround.
Management asked if it was secure.
When I assured her it wouldnt open in transit, she asked if anyone could get into it........
Who would want to steal my shit??

Got to love 'em, dontcha?

I have seen somewhere that the toilet locker is a favoured place to hide drugs in as they are notoriously insecure, presumably so you will bring them into the country for them.
Can't see anyone wanting to steal your shit, but the cassette is around £90 so possibly worth nicking.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I have seen somewhere that the toilet locker is a favoured place to hide drugs in as they are notoriously insecure, presumably so you will bring them into the country for them.
Can't see anyone wanting to steal your shit, but the cassette is around £90 so possibly worth nicking.

Good thinkin, Robin!
That's worth bearing in mind.

Just the way she said it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back