Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
We have just returned home from our best trip ever, a 9 week trip in Scandinavia. Travelled right up Norway to Nordkapp, down through Finland, and Sweden - we started and finished in Denmark.

Norway in paticular was wonderful, breathtaking scenery and a real feeling of adventure, especially as we crossed the Arctic circle, and then on Lofoten. Wildcamped in some beautiful spots.

The biggest surprise to us was how few british vans we saw, in 9 weeks we saw 4. There were lots of germans, some dutch, some italian, some swiss, a few french but almost no brits!

I suppose it was not all that hot N of the arctic circle, but we did get some sun, including the midnight sun, and it was quite warm in Sweden and Denmark as we came back. Better weather than in the UK by all accounts!

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
We have just returned home from our best trip ever, a 9 week trip in Scandinavia. Travelled right up Norway to Nordkapp, down through Finland, and Sweden - we started and finished in Denmark.

Norway in paticular was wonderful, breathtaking scenery and a real feeling of adventure, especially as we crossed the Arctic circle, and then on Lofoten. Wildcamped in some beautiful spots.

The biggest surprise to us was [HI]how few british vans we saw[/HI], in 9 weeks we saw 4. There were lots of germans, some dutch, some italian, some swiss, a few french but almost no brits!

I suppose it was not all that hot N of the arctic circle, but we did get some sun, including the midnight sun, and it was quite warm in Sweden and Denmark as we came back. Better weather than in the UK by all accounts!

Not enough cafes with All Day English Brekkys and Sky Sport TV... :ROFLMAO:

JJ :Cool:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I used to fish up there in the summer from about mid June till end of August. I think its maybe the cost of everything in Norway that puts a lot of Brits off. Having said that, if you offset the cost of campsites as wild camping is encouraged in Norway its no different than anywhere else. I never used the Nordcap route, preferring to zigzag between Sweden and Finland, buying fuel and provisions outside Norway. The fishing is some of the best in the world and the scenery is stunning. Am sure you had a great time, I miss it a lot.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
have done Norway including inside the Arctic circle several times:thumb:.... but not as a Civi.. and not in summer:Doh:. fantastic place. :thumb: would love to do it in the motorhome but really fear the costs. maybe one day..

not at all jealous of your trip:Blush:

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Sounds like a fantastic trip, more info and piccys please:thumb: and Im not jealous either:roflmto:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Did you see the Northern Lights? That's a trip I plan to make one day before I finally turn my toes up. I've seen a full solar eclipse and been through the eye of a hurricane, but photographing the Aurora Borealis is still top of my bucket list.

As for no Brits - I struggle to see any other Brits on French Aires let alone above the Arctic Circle. The Dutch on the other hand clearly hate the Netherlands, they're to be found everywhere else but home in the summer months :Smile:

ubuntu1

Free Member
Feb 13, 2008
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2006
Where are the Brits?

We have just toured the Netherlands, Luxembourg and Germany and no Brits! I really don't understand where everyone has gone. Have they all been watching the news and think that the Euro area has collapsed and full of lawless and broke Europeans???

OP
OP
motorhomer

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
magicsurfbus,

You only get the northern lights in winter. Its either the midnight sun or the northern lights but not both.

We might just get the hurtigruten boat one winter to see the northern lights, I'd also love to see them but I don't think its a trip for the motorhome. As it was in may/june there were a couple of roads still closed by snow!

Its a fabulous place, and I think the people who live there must be really hardy!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Wherever you go it is all Dutch and German, whether North or Soiuth. I think they must have longer holidays than us.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I also think the Dutch and Germans are more adventurous and there travel clubs are much better than we have in the UK. ANWEB and ADAC being two of the best in Europe.
The Brits tend to play it safe with Spain,France and Portugal.

Jul 4, 2010
Essex / central France
Funster No
MH
Hymer Star Line 680
Exp
9 years
In the back of my memory there's something about the Dutch goverment reduce your income tax? if you take extended holidays out of the country, really!

Add to that the Dutch have more caravans for the percentage of population than anywhere else in the world and it looks like they are encouraged to like their holidays.

The Germans are just more adventurous than many other nationalities, in particular going off into the Sahara etc.

Once a while back we were on our way to Libya and sitting on the dock at Trapani, Sicily with other motorhomes and off roaders waiting for the ferry to arrive in 2 days. We formed a real little community and we learnt a lot about the way the Dutch and Germans go about serious trips, very organised and very determined but with a sense of fun.
Good people to spend time with.

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
We are off to Norway on Sunday - for five weeks, and are really looking forward to it. We have an outward ferry booking a rough idea of an itinerary but will really make it up as we go along.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
It's on our bucket list :thumb:

Would love more info, did you bLog it?

I suspect the answer to your question is that it's because the average Brit heads for sun sea and sherbet....
So glad I'm not average :winky:

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

We went up to Nordcap, Kirkness and along to the Russian border, up through Sweden and Finland, return down through Norway etc. Knew we were getting near home when we got back to the Arctic Circle. Went in June/July and of course had 24 hrs daylight and bright sun,although a little on the cold side. This was eight years ago, and late September we are going up to Kirkness via Tromso etc, on the Hurtigruten. Probably too early for the Northern Lights, but we may see a "glimmer" of them.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back