Interesting video on extension cables (1 Viewer)

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Looks good, that's how we used to make a lanyard when I was in the boy scouts.:thumb:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
As young soldiers that's how we were taught to gather up the lines on a round parachute. Daisy chaining we called it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
So it's OK to use it like that, all folded in 3 and all those loops in it like he says, and it won't overheat?

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Can't see it remaining very tidy in a locker once the BBQ, chairs and table have been hauled in and out a few times.

I just double the wire in half and wind and store it on a reel. When in use just unwind the lot and flake it out between sockets. Quicker, easier and less likely to trip up the local wildlife!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So it's OK to use it like that, all folded in 3 and all those loops in it like he says, and it won't overheat?

There's plenty of air circulation, no problem. It's when they are on a reel the air is trapped, then, there is an overheat danger.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
We used to use that method for cimbing and caving ropes,especially the caving ones thy used to get very claggy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
and how often are you 100ft away from a hookup post ?

82ft (25mtr) is very often too long.

the guy must be doing something wrong as i've NEVER had a knotted/tangled 25mtr lead.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I loosely coil the middle of the lead, loosely tie the coil leaving about 10' either end, generally this is enough. If I need any more just untie the coil and feed out some more.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
The theatre industry has been coiling cables properly for years and we didn't get tangles..and none of that dividing by thirds crap and then knit one purl one rubbish.....lol

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There's plenty of air circulation, no problem. It's when they are on a reel the air is trapped, then, there is an overheat danger.

It is not the air that is the problem Brian.. it is the fact you have a very big coil, that by induction into its self causes the issue.. the more current drawn the worse the effect..

Just to confuse the issue there is a formula that allows you to work out the safe working limit of the wire once in coil form.. As a rough guide maximum safe load can be reduced by up to 90%, so a big coil of say, 15 amp 2.5 cross section wire can be reduced down to as little as 1.5 amps :Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It is not the air that is the problem Brian.. it is the fact you have a very big coil, that by induction into its self causes the issue.. the more current drawn the worse the effect..

Just to confuse the issue there is a formula that allows you to work out the safe working limit of the wire once in coil form.. As a rough guide maximum safe load can be reduced by up to 90%, so a big coil of say, 15 amp 2.5 cross section wire can be reduced down to as little as 1.5 amps :Eeek:

I did want to say this but Hilldweller scares me:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Because the cable is into 3rds and there isn't a coil I don't think it will be quite the issue with the method on the video.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just had a quick scout on youtube and found this one.
Worth wasting two minutes of your life to watch to the end

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0rc3oU4x7s[/ame]

poppys

Free Member
May 8, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1974 on and off
Many years ago when my eldest son was restoring an old car he used his MIG welder on an extension lead and the uncoiled section fused together.Ive always assumed that with my hookup lead it would be OK as Im only using it for a couple of lights ,TV and fridge,am I wrong.:Doh:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Always fully uncoil ANY extension lead/EHU before use and don't pile up excess, spread it about, simple safety:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
WATCHED THE VID
Pursil brought cable up nice and clean, how long should i leave it to dry before using it:Blush:
ps it still tangled a bit in the spinner
G

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I wish Funsters could make up their minds...

One minute it is "those Health and Safety" idiots are dragging the country down... The next it is unwind all your EHU cable or you will die!

Never do what I do... Because if electricity is available I plug in one end of my cable in the van and the other in the electricity point. Thats it... I have never had a fire in the cable (we are NOT talking Mig welders here!)

...and what is more I have never been weighed by police, never been attacked by caterpillars, never been gassed, never put out a fire bucket, never checked for reverse polarity, never been robbed sleeping over night in a motorway service station, never had my job nicked by an Eastern European, never died eating stuff past its sell by date, never been arrested for having speed camera warnings on my sat nav, never been asked to show my breathalyzer kit or shiny yellow jackets or light bulb set or medical kit or spare glasses or... Or... Or...

(and my bank hasn't gone bust... And the sun is still shining...)

I can't believe I am still alive... (and you are allowed to laugh your knickers off if I die tomorrow with a fire caused by my untidy cable which could have been put out if I had a dry chemical fire blanket thingy if I had had one... I won't care!)

JJ

ps... Didn't watch the video... Connection too slow...

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
This full time, free loading, off-site, "tosser" despite being inconsiderate is willing to share his latest method of reducing the gas bill for cooking in your motorhome... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Save On Gas For Cooking.jpg
    Save On Gas For Cooking.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 30

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

No you don't have a very big coil you have several tiny coils.

Good old internet saves me typing in all the old formulea.

Go here:
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Air-Core-Inductor-Calculator.phtml

Enter 4 inches diameter. 0.5 turns. Length 0.5 inch and it throws up
0.04348 uH or 0.00004348 mH.

Go here:
Link Removed

Enter 50 Hz. 0.05 ohms. 0.00004348 mH. 0 uF and it calculates 0.01 ohms.

So feed 13A through 0.01 ohms and you have 1.7 watts.

So at how hot is that wire going to heat up in free air with under 2 watts of heat.

No a lot !

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
No you don't have a very big coil you have several tiny coils.

Good old internet saves me typing in all the old formulea.

Go here:
http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Air-Core-Inductor-Calculator.phtml

Enter 4 inches diameter. 0.5 turns. Length 0.5 inch and it throws up
0.04348 uH or 0.00004348 mH.

Go here:
Link Removed

Enter 50 Hz. 0.05 ohms. 0.00004348 mH. 0 uF and it calculates 0.01 ohms.

So feed 13A through 0.01 ohms and you have 1.7 watts.

So at how hot is that wire going to heat up in free air with under 2 watts of heat.

No a lot !

My head has just started hurting...

JJ :Cool:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
As young soldiers that's how we were taught to gather up the lines on a round parachute. Daisy chaining we called it.

Did they have parachutes when Jim was young???????????

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
The theatre industry has been coiling cables properly for years and we didn't get tangles..and none of that dividing by thirds crap and then knit one purl one rubbish.....lol

Quite agree, I just wish people (even theatre people) would learn to coil cables properly. I get fed up having to re - coil cables after they come back after being loaned out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back