Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
GRAVELINES Aire
There seems to be quite a few motorhomes with GB plates determined not to pay....Why!! ...and when one person says he is not paying others follow like sheep..Why!

You have a clean safe place to park for 24 hours , with lighting, with Dustbins for your rubbish, roads swept , pleasant view, a good place to exercise your dog if you have one, a nice Village(Town)...a borne to pick up water and to drop grey and empty your cassette within 1km....two supermarkets close by.......

These people would be the first to complain if the Aire was closed down....
One person with GB plates said I am not paying 6 euros to park here.....Well why did he come and park there!!... he could have parked on the road anywhere...so why did he park there!!, Another motorhomer with GB plates, said to me, do you have to pay here...I said yes there are signs on both entry places saying a Payant area for camping cars...he said well you are not paying are you...Yes we have just got out ticket....and have paid for every night we have stayed there since the charge was introduced.....well I'm off !!!! then one GB motorhome departs.

Do you get these Aires in the UK....NO.!!! would you like Aires in the UK like France...Yes ....Well I can see why NOT...

Every village have to manage there budget and every little helps....
Also when a French person comes selling items to the motorhomers...e.g. Farm Butter, farm fresh milk, Apples, Pears and anything else...we always buy even though we already have these goods on board.....it helps the locals....and the man or woman selling these items......may even be the Mayor or deputy Mayor or one of the village committee, you would never know...our deputy mayor is a Farmer and to look at him...Mmm...not what you would expect, a normal working man that has a lot of power in our village.

All I ask is please pay ..... keep the Aires open....if not for you then for other people to enjoy..or go into a campsite if they are not up to what require..this Aire is a good stopping place for motorhomers coming and returning back to the UK..what is 6 euros (£5) for this Aire in the summer 3 euros (£2.50) for 24 hours parking....the parking meter is at the end of the Aire just before the garage
And no we do not live or have anything to do with Gravelines village.

When using this payant machine make sure your credit/debit card goes all the way in as it seems to stop half way and you have to push that little bit harder…and is chip and pin...also the machine is very slow and it does tell you to be patient….if you need a receipt, after you receive your ticket go back to the top set of buttons and press the green button and wait….the machine is credit card ONLY..the money/coin part has been blanked off…..also the borne at the side of the Gendarmerie with signs directing you there 1km away is also credit card only if you require drinking water……….to dump grey and toilette waste that is free.

When I came back to the UK last year for a month, just emptying my cassette and grey water was one big problem...asking sites if I could use the facilities...NOT A PROBLEM IN FRANCE they have Aires all over France.

Mel....rant over:soaobox:

Last edited:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
agree

We pay our way as and when required and I agree with your comments. I've seen motorhomes and RV which probably costmany thousands, on Aires and they moan if they have to pay. Cheap skates if you ask me!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Unfortunately there are freeloading scroungers everywhere, its not purely a British trait. They seem to spend thousands of pounds on a luxury motorhome then want to not pay a very reasonable price by UK standards for good facilities. Too many seem to want something for nothing and cant seem to grasp that their greed affects others. The people you mention wouldn't get away with using such an Aire in the UK without paying the required fee so why spoil the system for everyone else by not paying whilst away

Sooner or later you will see prices rising to cover the cost of collecting fees to maintain the facility. In my opinion those refusing to pay are little more than common thieves

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We pay our way as and when required and I agree with your comments. I've seen motorhomes and RV which probably costmany thousands, on Aires and they moan if they have to pay. Cheap skates if you ask me!

Gunner these Aires in France are a marvelous way of motor homing,... as most if not all motorhomes have everything you need on board, and have no need of campsites all the time if any....(if you have children then that is different).....I agree all motorhomes cost a lot off money.....It just leaves a bitter taste when these people are my fellow country people...... I like a bargain like others I'm from Yorkshire.....
But at the present the world seem to be in deep Sh*t and most of the aires have gone up in price or put a charge on what used to be free.

Another bit of info Fort Mahon plage in Northern France has gone from 7 euros in the summer to 9 or 9.50 euros per night...this info was from another motor homer who stayed on the Aire

BERK....in Northern France...at the lighthouse south side has gone from 6 euros to 6.50 per night

Mel

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Unfortunately there are freeloading scroungers everywhere, its not purely a British trait. They seem to spend thousands of pounds on a luxury motorhome then want to not pay a very reasonable price by UK standards for good facilities. Too many seem to want something for nothing and cant seem to grasp that their greed affects others. The people you mention wouldn't get away with using such an Aire in the UK without paying the required fee so why spoil the system for everyone else by not paying whilst away

Sooner or later you will see prices rising to cover the cost of collecting fees to maintain the facility. In my opinion those refusing to pay are little more than common thieves

That is true Big 1....and that is why a lot of automatic barriers are going in to catch late comers and early leavers...

Yes there was a French and Belgium motorhome... no ticket..and others...BUT 90% of the motorhomes at Gravelines was on GB plates the day I left.
2 Nederland motohomes had tickets, a German motorhome had a ticket.. and 6 Brits including myself had tickets...the rest...........
I just thought we were better...play the game....maybe I am wrong.... I am old school

Last edited:

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Fort Mahan

We pulled into Fort Mahan plague last Januray in the rain. It looked so desolate and at Euro 8 and no facilities we decided to move on to Neufchantel ACSI site. We always stay on Aires coming back from Spain and pay if we have to.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
We pulled into Fort Mahan plague last Januray in the rain. It looked so desolate and at Euro 8 and no facilities we decided to move on to Neufchantel ACSI site. We always stay on Aires coming back from Spain and pay if we have to.

I agree Gunner, I said to this motorhome couple.... that was a lot...he said it was that tight with other motorhomes he thought he had become a terraced house or a semi a least, this was just under a week ago ...we are now getting into the French busy season......what will happen is the campsites will go up!!!... and you can only use your ACSI card I think up to the 21st of June so he would have had to pay full price at Neufchatel anyway:cry::Doh:

Mel

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Is itt Fort Mahon where it's a carpark on the main street going down to t'front? Only looked at it once, seemed singularly unattractive.

I bet the beach aire at Berck will go up too, it usually does when the lighthouse one increases price. We left it last year with them expending it and an open 3ft trench straight across the middle, it was just ASKING for someone arriving in the evening to drive into it ..... :Eeek:

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Is itt Fort Mahon where it's a carpark on the main street going down to t'front? Only looked at it once, seemed singularly unattractive.

I bet the beach aire at Berck will go up too, it usually does when the lighthouse one increases price. We left it last year with them expending it and an open 3ft trench straight across the middle, it was just ASKING for someone arriving in the evening to drive into it ..... :Eeek:

Jenny.. yes that is the one at Fort Mahon....on the left ...down the main street not far from the beach

The Berk ,lighthouse Aire is now a compound, two ways in entry exit, it has a fence around it with post's both sides with numbers on for each motorhome....not a lot of gap between post you just have to watch your front or rear when pulling out and not turn to soon...you can still park on the hill going towards the front and chippy/frites on the right hand side only going up ....could be the better option..you still need a ticket outside the compound...the borne is accessible to all, so you could pick up and empty if not stopping.

Mel:thumb:

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
I have to say I agree with you as regards the use of aires, but I must say in my limited use of aires it is the French who are the worst at dodging the payment for the aires.
Many seem to arrive late, after the collector of fees has been and/or leave early so they miss the collector in the morning, or as in one case deliberately park just outside the aire and them come in and make use of the facilities.

I know in this case there seems to be a payant, and of whatever nationailty I agree with you it is not on to pay £k for a mh and then refuse to pay 5 euros to park, but I would think the largest majority of non payers are the French themselves.

Norman

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I feel your rant mel, drives me mad too. Plenty of free aires about if people don't like it.

Think it strikes as disrespectful of our neighbours too :Sad:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
What we have seen of French Aires, most are superb, and worth every penny.

Now that we are back to motorhoming we will be using them a whole lot more and absolutely do not begrudge the charges made. Like other posters I just cannot comprehend the scrounging moaners that pay a Kings ransome for a van and refuse to contribute the not insignificant costs of maintaining the aires. So saying if they will not pay then the aires may be even better places

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I have to say I agree with you as regards the use of aires, but I must say in my limited use of aires it is the French who are the worst at dodging the payment for the aires.
Many seem to arrive late, after the collector of fees has been and/or leave early so they miss the collector in the morning, or as in one case deliberately park just outside the aire and them come in and make use of the facilities.

I know in this case there seems to be a payant, and of whatever nationailty I agree with you it is not on to pay £k for a mh and then refuse to pay 5 euros to park, but I would think the largest majority of non payers are the French themselves.

Norman

Norman what you say is true about the French and them dodging payment....BUT things are altering!changing pay auto Barriers
But what is happening at Gravelines are on GB plated M/Homes...and this is happening every time we are there.......example..4 Brits walked passed the payant looked and carried on....and as they passed me, I said have you paid...one shook his and the others said no...it was only when I said,when we was here two weeks ago the police had put tickets on some vans..(which they did...two community police and two Gendarmes turned up )..then they had a change of heart for the better turned around and purchased tickets..while they were getting the tickets in came two more GB plated vans and followed suit....and purchased tickets......some say they didn't know you had to pay even though they park at the side of the Payant machine.. and drive pass the two signs saying camping cars parking PAYANT:Doh:

Just be aware two people I know....have had fines of 17 euros,.. for not paying and displaying...... these tickets were put on the motorhome through the night while sleeping!!! this is to catch ALL motorhomes ......

Also there are changes at the Marina at Le Touquet.

a large area down near the marina has been blocked off..they may be making the car park area bigger for the boat people and people going to the beach..
while we were there the police was very hot.........buzzing around
Le Touquet Marina Aire
Next to us was a disabled bay, a disabled French couple came in and parked, off they went into the town with the wheel chair ...with in minutes of them leaving in came a police car two onboard, and was about to put a ticket/fine on them, we said the lady is disabled...he said yes I can see the blue badge...BUT THEY DID NOT HAVE A PARKING TICKET DISPLAYED...and it was obligatoire to have a ticket with a motorhome even though you are disabled.... not with a car !!! ...the wife said we will tell them to get a ticket as soon as they get back which the couple did...after a bit of discussion the police man and his driver agreed..that saved the disabled couple 17 euros... but the ticket did cost them 9.50 euros..

Mel

Last edited:

Janele

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
GRAVELINES Aire
There seems to be quite a few motorhomes with GB plates determined not to pay....Why!! ...and when one person says he is not paying others follow like sheep..Why!

You have a clean safe place to park for 24 hours , with lighting, with Dustbins for your rubbish, roads swept , pleasant view, a good place to exercise your dog if you have one, a nice Village(Town)...a borne to pick up water and to drop grey and empty your cassette within 1km....two supermarkets close by.......

These people would be the first to complain if the Aire was closed down....
One person with GB plates said I am not paying 6 euros to park here.....Well why did he come and park there!!... he could have parked on the road anywhere...so why did he park there!!, Another motorhomer with GB plates, said to me, do you have to pay here...I said yes there are signs on both entry places saying a Payant area for camping cars...he said well you are not paying are you...Yes we have just got out ticket....and have paid for every night we have stayed there since the charge was introduced.....well I'm off !!!! then one GB motorhome departs.

Do you get these Aires in the UK....NO.!!! would you like Aires in the UK like France...Yes ....Well I can see why NOT...

Every village have to manage there budget and every little helps....
Also when a French person comes selling items to the motorhomers...e.g. Farm Butter, farm fresh milk, Apples, Pears and anything else...we always buy even though we already have these goods on board.....it helps the locals....and the man or woman selling these items......may even be the Mayor or deputy Mayor or one of the village committee, you would never know...our deputy mayor is a Farmer and to look at him...Mmm...not what you would expect, a normal working man that has a lot of power in our village.

All I ask is please pay ..... keep the Aires open....if not for you then for other people to enjoy..or go into a campsite if they are not up to what require..this Aire is a good stopping place for motorhomers coming and returning back to the UK..what is 6 euros (£5) for this Aire in the summer 3 euros (£2.50) for 24 hours parking....the parking meter is at the end of the Aire just before the garage
And no we do not live or have anything to do with Gravelines village.

When using this payant machine make sure your credit/debit card goes all the way in as it seems to stop half way and you have to push that little bit harder…and is chip and pin...also the machine is very slow and it does tell you to be patient….if you need a receipt, after you receive your ticket go back to the top set of buttons and press the green button and wait….the machine is credit card ONLY..the money/coin part has been blanked off…..also the borne at the side of the Gendarmerie with signs directing you there 1km away is also credit card only if you require drinking water……….to dump grey and toilette waste that is free.

When I came back to the UK last year for a month, just emptying my cassette and grey water was one big problem...asking sites if I could use the facilities...NOT A PROBLEM IN FRANCE they have Aires all over France.

Mel....rant over:soaobox:

Gravelines is one of our favorites - its well worth 6 euros a night!!

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I remember being on the Mery sur Cher aires one January about 3 years ago on our way down to Spain the cost was 5 euros which is not a lot ..it's a smashing little aire room for 7 vans but only 5 electric posts and a GB plated van rolled up to the barrier (a pay on entry barrier) the guy got out looked at it read the cost and how to pay and I heard him say..a fiver to stay here no way....

He missed a good little stopover the place was quiet..(OK there is a bit of road noise but me being an ex HGV driver I have suffered worse) reasonably well lit and all the facilities you need there is even proper WC there..like people say..motorhomers will pay 20-30k for a van and then moan about paying up to around 8-9 euros to stay overnight..I look at it this way if it's there use it..

We used to work on around 250-300 miles a day maximum travelling distance on our run across France to Spain so we were'nt flogging the guts out of it and if we found a decent site/Aires we'd stay a couple of nights as it's all part of seeing the country...thats why we got a motorhome..

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We never object to paying a reasonable fee at an aire. After all if you are driving £250-300miles in a day that will cost around £90 in diesel so whats €5-10 to stay somewhere decent. In my experience most charging over €5-6 usually provide EHU in the price.

cpease

Free Member
Mar 16, 2008
Morley,Leeds up North
Funster No
MH
Ford Transit stealth van
Exp
since June 2006
The last time we stayed at Gravelines we had breakfast with Roland rat & his extended family , they were coming out of the sewers to see us- we soon left.

This year we stopped outside the terminal building at Dunkirk very quite night.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We never object to paying a reasonable fee at an aire. After all if you are driving £250-300miles in a day that will cost around £90 in diesel so whats €5-10 to stay somewhere decent. In my experience most charging over €5-6 usually provide EHU in the price.

We have paid up to £25 per night for a serviced pitch at some commercial sites in high season (through choice). However, last year our son and daughter booked us in for B & B near St. Andrews at £60 per night. After this we moved on to another CC site, but it amazes us how stingy some people can be and avoid paying the small charges for aires.
However, there will always be people who want something for nothing:RollEyes:
We are looking forward to trying out many of the aires when we go over to France in September:thumb:

Last edited:

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
We pay everywhere they ask you to pay. Why wouldn't we? We are guests in their country. We don't offer the same here
Mike and Annie

Carreraboy

Free Member
Nov 6, 2011
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have just returned from 2 weeks touring France. Different stop every night and a mix of Aires, Municipals and ACSI sites. Paid wherever required and the total for 14 nights was €120 Inc electric on most!!!!!! Great value with each place a delight to stay and well worth the money - lets hope the few don't spoil it for the majority.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I used Gravelines last year and parked next to the bins and yes we saw a rat but hey ho so what? it wasn't going to invite itself in for tea. The parking is very nice and the town and I did comment I cannot believe this is FREE so I'm not surprised there is a charge of late.
Pictures of our visit can be seen via my Aires link in my signature

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Gravelines is one of our favorites - its well worth 6 euros a night!!
Hey ho , another old one(y), couldn't agree more, pleasant view , not the alps or anything but good enough ,nice reasonably priced restaurant across the moorings , very nice people in the pmu, supermarket about a mile , worth every penny and don't think it gets as crowded as it used to now there is a charge, anyway we shall be there Saturday night ready for the Bastille celebration on Monday , hope it's not full up:doh:Now iv give it a glowing report.

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We stayed on the small Crotoy aire a couple of years ago, payed our dues and it was funny watching a the French running to the pay machine when the Gendarme's arrived.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back