Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I'd like to mount our TV on a wall bracket, firstly to save invaluable work surface and secondly to remove the need to pack away the TV when moving the 'van.

Unfortunately the only logical place for it is on the side wall of the habitation; not on a cupboard wall or similar.

Is it feasible to fix to the main habitation wall? If so, how do I get sufficient strength/rigidity? What do I need to be careful of when drilling the wall for fixings? I certainly don't want to "fix through" with the implications of possible water ingress etc.

All advice and sugestions gratefully received, as usual.

Mike

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Just had this problem. I've decided to try and fit a bracket to the underside of the overhead locker.

I got one of Link Removed from ebay.

The plan is for the tv not to stay on this bracket though, so it'll swing up out of the way when not in use.

Well, that's the idea, anyway...

Steve :Smile:

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I assume you have this layout.

In which case, where exactly were you thinking of putting it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• avantgarde 400rl lounge.jpg
    avantgarde 400rl lounge.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 67
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Just had this problem. I've decided to try and fit a bracket to the underside of the overhead locker.

I got one of Link Removed from ebay.

The plan is for the tv not to stay on this bracket though, so it'll swing up out of the way when not in use.

Well, that's the idea, anyway...

Steve :Smile:

Thanks Steve, but unfortunately there is no overhead locker in an appropriate position. :Sad:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I assume you have this layout.

In which case, where exactly were you thinking of putting it?

Spot on with the photo Minx - made me feel quite at home!

The planned location is above the cupboard/worktop which is out of sight in the photo, on the far side of the cooker, on the right hand side of the photo as we look at it. This would be perfect for viewing and suits the existing location of power sockets and aerial socket.

If fixing to the wall is impracticable, an alternative would be on the side of the full height cupboard on the other side of the habitation - not quite so good for viewing and would need rerouting of aerial socket at least.

Hope the above is clear, and your help is appreciated.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi TW get the hammer out :thumb: tap (gently) around and listen to locate the wall batons :thumb: Once located you can screw into that or glue and screw a Patrice to it then screw into that :thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Whatever you do don't mount by drilling holes through the outside wall like some tosser did on the caravan I bought.. :Doh: .... I've since removed, filled and blanked off the holes.

Terry's suggestion is the best option provided you can find the batons..

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Spot on with the photo Minx - made me feel quite at home!

The planned location is above the cupboard/worktop which is out of sight in the photo, on the far side of the cooker, on the right hand side of the photo as we look at it. This would be perfect for viewing and suits the existing location of power sockets and aerial socket.

If fixing to the wall is impracticable, an alternative would be [HI]on the side of the full height cupboard on the other side of the habitation [/HI]- not quite so good for viewing and would need rerouting of aerial socket at least.

Hope the above is clear, and your help is appreciated.

Hi Touchwood, that's where I've fitted my bracket, I've drilled through the cupboard wall and put a piece of batten inside the cupboard to strengthen the fixing, I think you would be very brave to attempt to fasten it to the Hab wall, particularly if you intend to leave the TV in situ whilst travelling. I have fitted a 3 arm bracket which helps with the viewing angles.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Touchwood

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Thanks all.

The more I think on this the more inclined I am to fix to the cupboard wall (as suggested by Gooney) Viewing would then be restricted to whilst sat down in the lounge, with no option to view whilst washing up, say, but that's no big deal actually, and rerouting the internal aerial wiring to a new socket would be a doddle as the external aerial socket is very close.

So - any suggestions now for a good but cheap bracket? TV is new, from Curry's, one of those modern slimline jobs so weight isn't a major issue - but I've seen some eye-watering prices for what seems to be a fairly straight-forward piece of kit! Would be nice if it could be "clipped" into the fully folded back position for travelling, or at least be stiff enough to stay folded without being too stiff to unfold, if you see what I mean.

Upvote 0

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Thanks all.

The more I think on this the more inclined I am to fix to the cupboard wall (as suggested by Gooney) Viewing would then be restricted to whilst sat down in the lounge, with no option to view whilst washing up, say, but that's no big deal actually, and rerouting the internal aerial wiring to a new socket would be a doddle as the external aerial socket is very close.

So - any suggestions now for a good but cheap bracket? TV is new, from Curry's, one of those modern slimline jobs so weight isn't a major issue - but I've seen some eye-watering prices for what seems to be a fairly straight-forward piece of kit! Would be nice if it could be "clipped" into the fully folded back position for travelling, or at least be stiff enough to stay folded without being too stiff to unfold, if you see what I mean.

Have a look on eBay, I have bought a number of brackets from sellers on there from 15" up to 60" for use in the house at a fraction of shop prices, all have been of good quality I would add.

Upvote 0
Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi touchwood
If you do fit a cantilever type bracket, when it's in it's parked position drill an 1/8" hole down vertically through the arms then drop nail or something similar into the hole and the arm cannot unfold then.:thumb:

Upvote 0
Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
tv bracket

Hi Touchwood,

If you have the basic skills and tools fixing the bracket where you want shouldn`t be too much of a problem.
I fitted one to our Autotrail Cheyenne in the manner you are asking about.
Main point as previously mentioned is Don`t Drill Through the habitation wall.
2nd Don`t leave the TV on the bracket whilst travelling.

Ok I cut a hole in the inner wall and cleaned an area through to the outer wall.
Then I machined a piece of hard wood larger than the hole by enough to fix with screws through the inner wall into the hardwood battern, you will be able to slide the hardwood support piece through at an angle, if not cut it in two pieces.
This was then bonded to the outwall with a suitable adhesive, both side of the battern were coated in the adhesive so it also bonded to the inner wall, the stainless steel screws were added as extra support.
This will be strong enough to hold your TV.:thumb:

Upvote 0

san846

Free Member
Jun 25, 2012
durham
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Dumb question but is it ok to have the tv on one of these brackets when your travelling? ( I am a beginner.....lol)
Sandra

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Dumb question but is it ok to have the tv on one of these brackets when your travelling? ( I am a beginner.....lol)
Sandra

Hi it depends on how good your fixing is :Smile: mine stays on :thumb:but also folds intoa cupboard
terry

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back