cost of motorhome extras (2 Viewers)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Talking about Bobs 15k of extras made me think. What some of you spend on you motorhome extras is amazing. Seeing you queuing up at these shows to buy totally unnecessary tat, to me is an eye opener. :Eeek:
It made me think about my VW. It served me for over 4 glorious years driving over 80k extremely economical miles, we holidayed in France Italy Holland Spain :sin: as well as all the places in between. We used it more or less every day 365 days and spent most weekends somewhere yet never felt the need for a TV or fancy dish:whistle:.

It only has the factory fitted alarm yet never been broken into, not even when over nighting in French motorway Aires.

It has been used to transport cement mixers ladders wheel barrows bricks furniture the lot and still looks and drives like new.
Never spent a penny on storage and it never gave me a single problem in all that time. You might wonder why another VW is still top of my shopping list.:thumb:

Now the best part, my only purchase was a small porta loo which I still have and a euro socket converter for the tow bar. It had an excellent resale value and owes me absolutely nothing.
I read in amazement just what some of you are willing to spend on your motorhome extras.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I like to buy the odd gadget ect--
I look at it as a hobby and spending on it, i like doing :thumb:
Some spend £0000 on fishing rods
Some spend £00000 on ppl aircraft
£00000 on cars
I spend £000 on mine and enjoy fixing and fiddling with it and fixing on new gadgets :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
£00000 on cars
I spend £000 on mine and enjoy fixing and fiddling with it and fixing on new gadgets :thumb:
I wouldn't condemn anyone for spending their own money on whatever they like but I do think that some just go a little bit ott. I enjoy the hobby as much as anyone and use the van more than anyone on the site, but do we need all these expensive add-ons. I'm not sure we do.:whatthe:

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
£00000 on cars

Agreed Joner it is a Hobby, you earned so you spend it on whatever you like.
:thumb:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I'm sure that you dont have more fun than we do. I wouldn't say sitting in your van watching the telly was having fun. :Doh:

Your absolutely correct ..

but think of the street cred a big dome sat dish gives.. .. better still two .. :winky:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I'm sure that you dont have more fun than we do. I wouldn't say sitting in your van watching the telly was having fun. :Doh:
Maybe some older members like to travel/park up/ and can`t walk too far so maybe a tv gives them some pleasure.
If we are on a site and it`s pelting down (not very often):ROFLMAO: a tv is a break from sitting around singing" ging gang gooley" :thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Whilst trying to get your head around the cost of extras
Could you help me get my head around the cost of these tin can campers £45000+
I would suggest you have little experiance of extras as you have nowhere to put em:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Maybe some older members like to travel/park up/ and can`t walk too far so maybe a tv gives them some pleasure.
If we are on a site and it`s pelting down (not very often):ROFLMAO: a tv is a break from sitting around singing" ging gang gooley" :thumb:
I dont think you will be needing a tv with a sense of humour like that. :ROFLMAO:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I would suggest you have little experiance of extras as you have nowhere to put em:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo
I think i would get back ache with all that stooping--and -- how can i go to the loo with her and the little ones looking on?:Eeek:
First of all the shock would stun them ,then with a confined space the aroma would finish them off :Eeek::cry:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Geo
As Bob would say Quote: If we had to explain you would not understand:Sad: (it is a German thing) I drive a real factory produced camper I think the only one in existence, not a mishmash of bits and pieces from the cheapest possible suppliers. A camper designed and built by one of the worlds leading motor manufactures.:thumb:
What possible extras could improve the experience of owning such a vehicle.:thumb:

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Same thing happens with bikes. Old skool types bemoan the money being spent on bikes and accessories, explaining that a steel bike bought for 2d 50 years ago and an old parachute for a sleeping bag has lasted them through all their years cycle-touring. Whatever floats your boat [starts your engine?] so to speak.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Hi Buttons, didn't you post yesterday about downloading music to your iPOD? I must assume your not totally anti Apple then :RollEyes:
It was late coming Gooney, I expected this long before now. No my Ipod was a gift from long ago when they had the market share. Since then they have spent all their time and energy suing anyone who is over taking them instead of concentrating on their own products. It has left them being second fiddle, people are beginning to see through their fancy marketing. :winky:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005

We have a nice 'reasonable' sized sat dish and tripod, twin LNB and recordable (12 volt) free sat box, all plumbed in and ready to go as long as it takes me to find the sat:thumb:

Just over two weeks away and, err, well we watched the F1 but that was the extent of the dish being out and the telly used, as said, toys, and flexibility.

You see, proper motorhomes can be used properly and comfortably for extended periods, not just to drive to a B&B etc and sometimes it's fun to sit in the van and watch telly, yes some seem to make a pastime of it and why not, it's their van, their time and their choice, not mine BUT I respect and understand others choices.

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
As Bob would say Quote: If we had to explain you would not understand:Sad: (it is a German thing)I drive a real factory produced camper I think the only one in existence, not a mishmash of bits and pieces from the cheapest possible suppliers. A camper designed and built by one of the worlds leading motor manufactures.:thumb:
What possible extras could improve the experience of owning such a vehicle.:thumb:
Come on Autotrail take a leaf out of the Germany VW`s book--
Build us a tonka toy MH and charge us £00000`s then Britain can bail out the EU :thumb:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Come on Autotrail take a leaf out of the Germany VW`s book--
Build us a tonka toy MH and charge us £00000`s then Britain can bail out the EU :thumb:
http://www.autotrail-motorhomes.co.uk/ Best of luck with any Fiat problems from what I have read, their customer support leaves a lot to be desired. Thousands of dissatisfied customers all with the same problem. Compare this with my VW experience no comparison.
If you want to here about it just ask.:winky:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I am a VW fan, owned three vw campers and a Passat estate car.

If VW have got it "so right" how come there are so many VW T5 forums discussing gearbox problems and starting problems?

Both my sons run T4 vans and why? It's cool it's the van version of Apple.......:roflmto:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Link Removed
I think i would get back ache with all that stooping--and -- how can i go to the loo with her and the little ones looking on?:Eeek:
First of all the shock would stun them ,then with a confined space the aroma would finish them off :Eeek::cry:

I was always led to believe the POP UP ...as in VW.....was the next step up from camping/Tenting....meaning canvas roof, tin sides, with 4 wheels to move it around the camp site when it rains...without pulling the tent pegs out:Doh:...Are you telling me now :Doh: they have a Porta Loo...does Buttons mean one of these porta loo as in the Photo.. or a Porta Potti similar to a guzunder..sounds German...and are you saying the VW has a iPOD in built ..well.well.. is it one of those off the shelf... after sales from a camping shop and Curries:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Is this what buttons calls his Porta Loo .....Does he pull this around as a toad on a "A FRAME"

Maybe that's because he has no room inside:winky::winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...and its colour coded to the BUTTON VW...those Germans are clever people who else would have thought of this idea " A TOAD PORTA LOO.. drive's a real factory produced camper,:Doh: a mishmash of bits and pieces from the cheapest possible suppliers. Built by one of the worlds leading motor manufactures.

What possible extras could improve the experience of owning such a vehicle.
"A TOAD PORTA LOO":thumb:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Why on earth would anyone with a brain spend money that could be used stocking up on Fray Bentos pies, Heinz tomato soup and chunks of Portugal on "Extras" for their motorhome?

I don't have a single extra!

My things are all "Essentials"...

JJ

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I have had a nice sat dome fitted by Vanbitz.

I needed the street cred.

I have been fighting the women off since it was fitted:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I am a VW fan, owned three vw campers and a Passat estate car.

If VW have got it "so right" how come there are so many VW T5 forums discussing gearbox problems and starting problems?

Both my sons run T4 vans and why? It's cool it's the van version of Apple.......:roflmto:
Dont believe everything you read on forums:ROFLMAO:

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I would just like to say I don't covet anything that anyone else has, but there is somebody down our road who has a W reg motorhome, which they go away in maybe twice a year, they have a dinghy in the driveway along with a horsebox, so presumably they have a horse. I'm sure they've earned every penny and I don't begrudge it, but there is something that just doesn't feel right when people carry on buying expensive toys when there is so much hardship in the world. I know they can't save the world with what they have. Could it be my methodist upbringing? :Smile:

Ivy

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think i would get back ache with all that stooping--and --[HI] how can i go to the loo with her and the little ones looking on?[/HI]:Eeek:
Simples...standard issue for all passengers.

Attachments

• Bag.jpg
    Bag.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 6

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread