LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having experienced Peterborough this year I decided that we needed something extra to give us a bit of a chance in wet weather.

Not being inclined to steal bread trays and having no source of damaged ones which are being thrown out I did a search and came across Link Removed. Postage is reduced for multiple quantities (I paid £11 postage for four) but they also allow free personal collection so anybody living near or passing Flint could save on postage.

They arrived this morning and look pretty solid. All I have to do now is to work out how to cut them down for use ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The inner surface of the base is smooth, Jim, but the underside isn't and should give plenty of grip. My current thinking is to remove the long sides completely but cut the shorter ends to leave a set of "teeth" which will grip the ground if they are used upside down.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
The inner surface of the base is smooth, Jim, but the underside isn't and should give plenty of grip. My current thinking is to remove the long sides completely but cut the shorter ends to leave a set of "teeth" which will grip the ground if they are used upside down.

That's what I did with mine:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Graham

You can still come to France with us in September and we guarantee there will be no mud to slip and slide about on.:thumb::thumb:

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
:ROFLMAO: Indian Summer :Eeek: - Just a normal one would do :Smile:

Bread trays wont help in conditions like these , I need to find a better storage facility :ROFLMAO:

Link Removed

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
What? and miss the glorious Indian Summer we are going to have in England? :roflmto:

Graham, I fully expect we will have that.

Laneside - he means 'monsoon'

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
With my track record, the only thing that might save me sinking when I park up is to have a 5 cubic yard cement truck follow me about ! :cry: :Doh:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh hell - I apologise to all follicly challenged persons for making a baldist remark.

Mea culpa ......

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Having spent the weekend in a field while at T In The Park im so glad i had my bread crate with me. Dont know if you have seen pics on the news but the place was a bog, they had put down a temp road on Thursday but still had to drive 100 yards to it. Yes all the rear wheel drives got off no problem but to see the look in the others as we laid our bread crates one after the other 10mins later out the field while the rest wait for tractor:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Silverstone Woodlands site also became a little muddy (I say a little muddy out of respect to those who went to Peterborough).

Thousands of campers and awful weather. Staff at the site worked really hard, security was about as bad as it can get.

I found myself saying, now if Bob and Jane were here, we'd have none of this trouble.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Those crates are no good Graham.

.........Length: 555mm
.........Width: 655mm
.........Height: 185mm

They're too wide, you would have to turn them inside out as well up side down.....:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Those crates are no good Graham.

.........Length: 555mm
.........Width: 655mm
[HI].........Height: 185mm [/HI]

They're too wide, you would have to turn them inside out as well up side down.....:ROFLMAO:

Not any more they're not ::bigsmile: All I have to do now is work out a use for the removed sides and ends ::bigsmile:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
are they strong enough for a 7500kg RV Graham ? :ROFLMAO:

dont really know what the problem is.......drove off the camping field at Staxtonbury yesterday through 6" of standing water on grass to very muddy uphill slope......no spin, no problem.....

on the other hand i couldn't get my stepdaughters 4 x 4 kia to grip :Eeek:

could be the weight difference. :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Dunno John - but seeing as we are 3500kg max I don't much care :roflmto:

I suppose you just crawl your RV off using those jack legs don't you? :roflmto:
Not quite Graham......but i can lift the wheels clear of the ground to put sacks, planks, bread trays, tuggers, CC club wardens, Itinerant's, gravel, logs or concrete underneath. :ROFLMAO:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
When I first went fulltiming I was planning on spending all my time wild camping and getting stuck was my big concern.

I did look at getting a land anchor www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251075183819
and a winch www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120915768512

These are just ones I found quickly on ebay.

The beauty of this is I would have been able to rescue others as well :thumb:

I never got round to buying them and now 3 years in having only been stuck once I probably won't :Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Having spent the weekend in a field while at T In The Park im so glad i had my bread crate with me. Dont know if you have seen pics on the news but the place was a bog, they had put down a temp road on Thursday but still had to drive 100 yards to it. Yes all the rear wheel drives got off no problem but to see the look in the others as we laid our bread crates one after the other 10mins later out the field while the rest wait for tractor:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Would these have worked? We have a couple of sets of bread trays already but also a set of these but haven't used them yet .... having had a twin rear-wheel drive MH previously, we now have a FWD one and have noticed how easily the FWD looses grip:

Link Removed

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
What you need are sand ladders, the 4x4 boys use them, see HERE:thumb:

OP
OP
G

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Would these have worked? We have a couple of sets of bread trays already but also a set of these but haven't used them yet .... having had a twin rear-wheel drive MH previously, we now have a FWD one and have noticed how easily the FWD looses grip:

Link Removed
I've seen conflicting reports of how effective they are. Also cost more for a pair than the four bread trays I bought which (hopefully) will go some way to prevent sinking of all four wheels (not just drive wheels) as well as provide grip.

What you need are sand ladders, the 4x4 boys use them, see HERE:thumb:
Somebody at Peterborough had a pair of those and I looked them up afterwards but was put off by the price and weight. I think the person at Peterborough got stuck as well as the rest of us anyway :Smile:

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
dumped bread trays

Hi
For anyone who lives in Wallasey or Birkenhead some has dumped a load of bread trays in the first car park in Westfield Road Wallasey CH44 7HX the car park belongs to Rosscare the company i work for, although not that branch.

My wife also works for Rosscare in Wallasey and mentioned to me this morning she was getting fed up with all the bread trays that had been dumped in the car park where she normally parks and the council were dragging there heels removing them for weeks now.

I got her to bring 2 home with her they look OK to me.

so i would suggest if you want any and you live local go down there and take some.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
What you need are [HI]sand ladders[/HI], the 4x4 boys use them, see HERE:thumb:

I've seen conflicting reports of how effective they are. Also cost more for a pair than the four bread trays I bought which (hopefully) will go some way to prevent sinking of all four wheels (not just drive wheels) as well as provide grip.

[HI]Somebody at Peterborough had a pair of those[/HI] and I looked them up afterwards but was put off by the price and weight. I think the person at Peterborough got stuck as well as the rest of us anyway :Smile:
Yep.......we had ours parked on sand ladders at Peterboro' and they worked fine :thumb:.......... until I drove off the end:Doh:

I agree they are pricey and quite heavy but very good really in "normal" wet conditions. Ideally you need two pairs so you can leap-frog over them.

Pigwam

Free Member
Jun 15, 2012
Chester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
:cry:
Hi
For anyone who lives in Wallasey or Birkenhead some has dumped a load of bread trays in the first car park in Westfield Road Wallasey CH44 7HX the car park belongs to Rosscare the company i work for, although not that branch.

My wife also works for Rosscare in Wallasey and mentioned to me this morning she was getting fed up with all the bread trays that had been dumped in the car park where she normally parks and the council were dragging there heels removing them for weeks now.

I got her to bring 2 home with her they look OK to me.

so i would suggest if you want any and you live local go down there and take some.

Sorry to say that there are none left now, people have been turning up and taking a couple to filling their car with them, the wife's office overlooks the car park and she noticed on friday that the council turned up to remove them she had to tell them that people suddenly turned up and started taking them away.::bigsmile:

its interesting that most of them had property of sunblest on them but when they were rung up they didn't want to know there were over 100 trays in our car park and they said it was nothing to do with them and if we wanted to take then to the bakery they would accept them otherwise ring the council.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back