Free Member
Sep 3, 2009
cheltenham, glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
may 2009
Just got back from a cold wet & windy two weeks in cornwall, are now planning to go
to France in September not sure for how long so are booking one way.In the past we've
always booked return crossing. does anyone know if we just turn up at P&O port in Calais
we will be able to buy passage back to UK. thanks.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Yes you can but you'll pay the full price which last time I checked was £127.00. it might even be more these days since Sea France went under.

If you buy a ticket for the next day it is usually half price and you can overnight in the car park near the ticket office as many do.

Best way is to get a ticket over the internet a few days before, that way you can get a crossing at a reasonable price.

Sometimes if you book a 24hr return crossing it works out cheaper than a single.

I came back last month in my car on the tunnel and a 24hr return was £9.00 cheaper than a single. How stupid is that?

Pete:Cool:

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Yes you can but you'll pay the full price which last time I checked was £127.00. it might even be more these days since Sea France went under.

If you buy a ticket for the next day it is usually half price and you can overnight in the car park near the ticket office as many do.

Best way is to get a ticket over the internet a few days before, that way you can get a crossing at a reasonable price.

Sometimes if you book a 24hr return crossing it works out cheaper than a single.

[HI]
I came back last month in my car on the tunnel and a 24hr return was £9.00 cheaper than a single. How stupid is that?
[/HI]
Pete:Cool:

I understood if you booked a return crossing but didn't go back then they would charge your credit card the difference between the return & single fare at the time of booking? Perhaps this is just an urban myth:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Just got back from a cold wet & windy two weeks in cornwall, are now planning to go
to France in September not sure for how long so are booking one way.In the past we've
always booked return crossing. does anyone know if we just turn up at P&O port in Calais

I always book a one way ticket now and then a few days before we come back I book online (once using my iphone and usually whilst eating a Big Mac:ROFLMAO:) as we've often wanted to change the date of return on our trips.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

We are going to Brittany in September and weren't sure whether to book ahead or just turn up. We phoned LD Lines and they said it's better to book ahead because they only had "limited space" suitable for motorhomes. But we will be going from Portsmouth to Le Havre probably.
They also said if we just turned up on the day, we could be put in amongst the lorries depending on what space was available.:whatthe:
Can't comment on P & O at Calais as it's so long since we used that route (23 years)

Last edited:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I always book a one way ticket now and then a few days before we come back I book online (once using my iphone and usually whilst eating a Big Mac:ROFLMAO:) as we've often wanted to change the date of return on our trips.

Same here, just. Booked our return @ £34. Very pleased with that
Wyn

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
DON'T use P&O !!

P&O are rip off merchants !! Look at the DFDS site, formerly LD lines ! Just booked with them, 39 Euros one way Dover to Dunkirk ! Book early !! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

adriacoral

Free Member
Apr 3, 2011
shropshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2009
we always book one way then sit somewhere with wifi and book return when we feel ready!!just looked at fairs to go to france on the 22nd july £56 single with dfds, motorhome and 4 of us, i think thats cheap!:thumb:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We're going Portsmouth to Le Havre with LD Lines in early September and even with the CC discount the return fare has just gone up to £314 return:Eeek:
It was around £270 about a week ago, can't understand this:Doh:
Bill:Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back