Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
i have just noticed that behind where the single electric step folds up on my hymer 534 there is a compartment with what appears to be another set of folded up steps[2 rungs] . were these a optional extra ? is it straightforward to fit them or is it really not worth the hassle ?

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We only have the single step on my Hymer. Often we would be much better with two, but I don't think a twin step will fit my setup. I'd definitely think it worth the hassle.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
i have just noticed that behind where the single electric step folds up on my hymer 534 there is a compartment with what appears to be another set of folded up steps[2 rungs] . were these a optional extra ? is it straightforward to fit them or is it really not worth the hassle ?

We have a S700 (1992). It had a single electric step fitted when we purchased it. After not retracting it and clipping a parked car with it on day 1, we fitted an Omnistep 380 Alu double. These steps are designed for B model Hymers. The one we purchased was even marked with the Hymer logo (Ex Brownhills stock from O'Learys). This is much better than the original for getting in and out.

During the perod our step was unusable we purchased an aluminium Hymer folding standalone double step from Brownhills. I wonder if someone has bought one of these steps and mounted it under the van to save storage space.

Unfortunately our new step has also met the same fate. We hit a mound of sand on the side of a track and bent it back. (again moving with the step out and the warning buzzer we fitted, failed to work). We have ordered a link for the mechanism from John Rose at Rose Awnings at Poole. This damage had caused the square in the link to grind out into a circle. A new link was £19.88 inc postage. A new step if this fails to work is £370.

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
On our RV it"s impossible to leave the step out as, if the ignition is on and the door shut , it retracts :Smile: this also aplies to the electric awning and the jacks that retract when the parking brake is released :Smile:. I"m surprised a high end maker like Hymer doesn"t have this feature.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
On our RV it"s impossible to leave the step out as, if the ignition is on and the door shut , it retracts :Smile: this also aplies to the electric awning and the jacks that retract when the parking brake is released :Smile:. I"m surprised a high end maker like Hymer doesn"t have this feature.

Hi Paul

They do fit this system but with age you can get (1.) bad contacts (2.) fogetfull.

I knew the buzzer was getting a bit hit and miss and was planning to sort it out. (2.) kept getting in the way.

Brownhills tried fitting the auto retract relay to our van, when they fitted the new step, but opted instead to fit a buzzer as a reminder instead. It worked fine for 5 years.

John

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Mine has twin retracting steps and I thought all Hymers did.

Pete:Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Doitonce

Free Member
Jun 4, 2021
Funster No
MH
Vw
Do you still have the extra clip on steps? do you use them ?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back