GeoffH

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
M/ch UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7RG
Exp
Leaving for france. Live in Manchester area.
Which is best way to Calais with 23ft RV? "Never fancied tunnel but open to all.
Tks

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Tunnel every time for me, but many also prefer the ferry. Horses for courses. No problem with size on tunnel at 23ft mine is 28ft and it is easy.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Tunnel for me every time its so easy and quick, but not the cheapest route. excellent if your taking a pet.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I take a real RV through the tunnel

I take my American RV with a trailer attached - 45' long.. no trouble in the tunnel.. fast and easy.

Bob

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
As above - tunnel every time. Quick & easy, as well as having all of the home comforts of your van for the short journey.
I must admit that I have never been seasick when using the tunnel, no matter how rough the sea was :thumb:

Quick to disembark & you are straight out onto the French roads & away :Smile:

Paulh

Free Member
May 1, 2008
Bangor N.Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2007
Used the tunnel many times commercially and would do with the RV but, as we"re on LPG, I was told it was a no no..:cry: So if you don"t run on LPG you"re fine.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Which is best way to Calais with 23ft RV? "Never fancied tunnel but open to all.
Tks

I would say tunnel.

You also need to plot the petrol stations between Manchester and Folkstone driving that thirsty RV::bigsmile:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Personally I prefer the ferry, as it's a more interesting journey than sitting in a deep hole in the ground, but I like taking snaps from the boat, so if time is of the essence it has to be the tunnel.

Regarding the journey South East from the Manchester direction, I'd recommend M6, Brum Toll Road, M40, then anti-clockwise round the M25 to avoid the Dartford Crossing. The extra mileage is negligible and it's generally less busy and less congested once you're past Heathrow.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Tks

Tunnel every time for us..we are over 24'62....
And Smudger ...he goes on the tunnel with his Winnie american RV with James trailer....40' winnie + 20' James trailer..+ 60'...what did you say your length was...23' RV not even half the size ....a mere baby to smudgers monster:winky::thumb:

On the tunnel.. once on train 35 mins and you are over..... pulling off close to Cite Europe near Calais...as long as your engine does not run on LPG:thumb:

Mel:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Personally I prefer the ferry, as it's a more interesting journey than sitting in a deep hole in the ground, but I like taking snaps from the boat, so if time is of the essence it has to be the tunnel.

Regarding the journey South East from the Manchester direction, I'd recommend M6, Brum Toll Road, M40, then anti-clockwise round the M25 to avoid the Dartford Crossing. The extra mileage is negligible and it's generally less busy and less congested once you're past Heathrow.

We differ on this one. I would go M6(not toll), M1, M25 clockwise, M20:thumb:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
We differ on this one. I would go M6(not toll), M1, M25 clockwise, M20:thumb:

I would agree, although I hate the M1, and clockwise round the M25 includes the QE bridge. I would also sugest a stop-over at a site nr Dover after driving for such a distance. Always use the ferry but might try tunnel as wife is disabled - then again it is nice to get out of the van and get some fresh air.
Unless you are in a hurry avoid the toll roads in France, their main roads are a pleasure to drive on.
Enjoy your trip
Vic

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We've tried M6 - M1 - M25 clockwise, M6 - A14 - M11 - M25 clockwise, and M6 toll - M40 - M25 anticlockwise numerous times, and the latter route has always been the smoothest, least congested, quickest and most relaxing. We rarely if ever escape congestion on the M25 between Watford and Dartford in both directions, hence the recommendation. However, we all have our own preferences, and mine are based on Summer and Easter trips. Off season it may well be different.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
I'd always go on the ferry me..like you say take a few piccys and the like..as for the route down..this will get a few reactions...If your in Manchester don't bother with the M6 toll or otherwise...

Try this way....
M62 Eastbound..this runs straight into the A1 to go South..
A1 South..A14 South which runs into M11 Southbound
M11 South to M25 Anti Clock round and over the Dartford Toll...then M2 Southbound then A2 down to Dover..

That would be my route to the South Coast ports..

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GeoffH

Free Member
Jun 26, 2012
M/ch UK
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 7RG
Exp
French crossing

Tunnel every time for us..we are over 24'62....
And Smudger ...he goes on the tunnel with his Winnie american RV with James trailer....40' winnie + 20' James trailer..+ 60'...what did you say your length was...23' RV not even half the size ....a mere baby to smudgers monster:winky::thumb:

On the tunnel.. once on train 35 mins and you are over..... pulling off close to Cite Europe near Calais...as long as your engine does not run on LPG:thumb:

Mel:ROFLMAO:

As Mel said tunnel every time, evebn though I love boats,..

Should be ok on size

I would agree, although I hate the M1, and clockwise round the M25 includes the QE bridge. I would also sugest a stop-over at a site nr Dover after driving for such a distance. Always use the ferry but might try tunnel as wife is disabled - then again it is nice to get out of the van and get some fresh air.
Unless you are in a hurry avoid the toll roads in France, their main roads are a pleasure to drive on.
Enjoy your trip
Vic

We've tried M6 - M1 - M25 clockwise, M6 - A14 - M11 - M25 clockwise, and M6 toll - M40 - M25 anticlockwise numerous times, and the latter route has always been the smoothest, least congested, quickest and most relaxing. We rarely if ever escape congestion on the M25 between Watford and Dartford in both directions, hence the recommendation. However, we all have our own preferences, and mine are based on Summer and Easter trips. Off season it may well be different.

I'd always go on the ferry me..like you say take a few piccys and the like..as for the route down..this will get a few reactions...If your in Manchester don't bother with the M6 toll or otherwise...

Try this way....
M11 South to M25 Anti Clock round and over the Dartford Toll...then M2 Southbound then A2 down to Dover..

:thumb:
Was asking prefference to Ferry v Tunnel, but tks for all imfo.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I agree with Mondo on this one, the route and take the ferry.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Try this way....

Mondo are you sure you don't mean clockwise ???? to go anti clockwise is a long way round and back to the Dartford toll bridge and then about turn to come back on the M25 and A2???

That would be my route also....straight run, now the Round-abouts on the A1 have gone great road... heading south, A1, A14, M11, M25,clockwise Darford toll bridge
, M25, M20. junction 11a Tunnel and over to France....:thumb:

Last edited:

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
When we lived in Liverpool, the ferry was a good break when we got to Dover after travelling most of the day we had a meal, stretched the legs & refreshed ourselves. Now we live near Dover so it's tunnel every time as we don't need the break now! ::bigsmile:

If you shop at Tesco you can collect your points to buy tickets for the tunnel therefore making the crossing much cheaper if not free - that helps with the decision as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back