May 7, 2012
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Merc 410D Van
Exp
1 week
Hi,
Can anyone out there tell me if is okay to fit laminate flooring in a campervan. I have a Merc 410D panel van, tyhe floor area is small so weight would not be an issue. I was just wondering would it stay put what with the vibrations and things whilst driving?

Any advice or experience would be appreciated?

Dave.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I did my Rockwood Beachwood with laminate as it had the stupid American shadow pile carpet. Had no problems with it at all. Dont scimp on cost as with a small area you can afford the best.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Hi,
Can anyone out there tell me if is okay to fit laminate flooring in a campervan. I have a Merc 410D panel van, tyhe floor area is small so weight would not be an issue. I was just wondering would it stay put what with the vibrations and things whilst driving?

Dave.

I would think if you used Evo Stick contact adhesive that would be fine as it has a rubbery consistency that would absorb any vibration.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
laminate flooring should not be permanently fitted due to expansion you normally need a gap all round of around 5 to 10mm which is why its normally placed under skirting boards or like most they have quadrant trims so please take all that into account if you decide to go ahead with laminate what about vinyl that you can glue down if needed

OP
OP
dflambe

dflambe

Free Member
May 7, 2012
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Merc 410D Van
Exp
1 week
My van is a converted bus so has seat rails in the floor. These protrude approximately 3 mm above the rest of the floor. Fitting vinyl would mean filling up this gap the sheeting the floor with a light ply before laying the vinyl. A lot of work!:Eeek:

I was thinking with the laminate I could just lay the underlay foam between the rails to take up the gap and the laminate would do the rest. The aisle is only about 3 foot wide so I don't think expansion would be an issue but I take the point. I suppose I could run a bead of silicone along the sides?

My only worry was that it would vibrate apart. but gluing the joint would work.

Dave.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In one of my Rvs i inherited a laminate floor laid it would appear in two different ways
where it was a tight fit the joint expanded and kissed apart
where a gap had been left i was forever closing up the joints
It would appear that laminate is a very easy to use material, cost effective, easy to clean and nice in appearance.
So why don't the Motor home trade use it:winky:
Geo

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .i have the waterproof type in my trailer it works fine .lay it on the bubbly wrap under lay stays put . have had the same in my kitchen for about 12 yrsnow . looks like stone tiles .got it all from BQ. works a treat.

OP
OP
dflambe

dflambe

Free Member
May 7, 2012
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Merc 410D Van
Exp
1 week
Doctors differ patients die!! Understand the point about the trade people Geo, food for thought.

Hhmmmm! What to do?:Confused:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
We put laminate in the Old Rv and it was fine, mind you we were replacing laminate fitted previously by an incompitant, all joint lined up and on carpet underlay:Doh: Silly people, middle of the floor bounced like it was rotten.

We just used typical lining underneathm those big (typicaly) green tiles but I'd advise, as someone above said, don't scrimp, get good quality water proof type, fit and forget/enjoy:thumb:

Ours came from B&Q too.....::bigsmile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Also consider cork floor tiles..

Tired of cleaning carpets I laid them throughout the RV .. very easy to lay and after varnishing they are waterproof .. Warm to walk on, give good thermal and noise insulation ..

Not easy to find these says, I bought from Wickes.

OP
OP
dflambe

dflambe

Free Member
May 7, 2012
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Merc 410D Van
Exp
1 week
Thought of cork tiles Jim. Haven't seen them in years. Also we have three dogs that's 48 claws to potentially do damage.:ROFLMAO:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Thought of cork tiles Jim. Haven't seen them in years. Also we have three dogs that's 48 claws to potentially do damage.:ROFLMAO:

well, we also had the dog, a JRT, and were living fulltime and never had that problem.. but if they do get scratched they can be sanded down and re varnished if required... a lot easier than re-doing a laminate floor..

you can find them on-line or Wikes

OP
OP
dflambe

dflambe

Free Member
May 7, 2012
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Merc 410D Van
Exp
1 week
We've three, one Lab, one Lab/Beagle Cross & one Lab/Terrier cross. Head cases the three of them. You want to see the wodden floors at home!

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Hi,

Dave.

We have a 1992 Hymer S700 on the 410D chassis. We did ours last year. It has worked out fine, but a little tricky to fit around some of hymers corners and radius's.

With 1300kg payload the weight was not a problem.

John

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Another thing you must remember about Laminate, is that it absorbs moisture from the air TO BEGIN WITH, and expands, IF , you take it from the packet and lay it right away.
Always unpack it, and spread it a minimum of 24 hours before you lay it. I leave any I do at least a week just to be sure.:winky:

Yes the expansion is minimal:Sad: but over a floor of a normal room, it adds up:cry:

Last edited:
OP
OP
dflambe

dflambe

Free Member
May 7, 2012
Ireland
Funster No
MH
Merc 410D Van
Exp
1 week
1300kgs! I'm weighing in at 2700kgs without water and all our stuff! That's a big difference. Are you sure that's you nett weight?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back