Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have been researching portable fridge freezers for some time now...

I have a 12 volt compressor fridge freezer in the Wagon and it works very well but does draw a fair amount of power...

I have an ageing 3 way fridge in the Hymer which struggles at times in the really hot weather.

I have come across Engel compressor fridges and particular like the one moving part Sawafuji swing motor that powers them and the extremely low current comsumption.

My thinking is to get one to use alongside my existing fridges... one of the smaller models with the over the shoulder straps...

They are pricey but apparently very well built and capable of taking quite rough treatment.

Does anyone on here have any experience with these Engel fridge/freezers?

http://www.engelfridges.co.uk/

JJ :Cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have a big Engel Fridge in my van. It is a bit thirsty but boy does it keep stuff cold... I would happily have another Engel but the next one would be much smaller.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Completly out of topic but ...... Gromett what did you do to your avatar????:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Honestly Gromett is not Gromett without his avatar:Sad:

Frankie that is a grommet......all be it a rubber grommet:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: love it :thumb: Gromet

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Completly out of topic but ...... Gromett what did you do to your avatar????:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: Honestly Gromett is not Gromett without his avatar:Sad:

I was called Gromett at school because I shouted across the electronics class for one and a few jokers found it funny. Long before Wallace and Co were around ::bigsmile:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grommet#Grommets_used_for_cable_protection

I spell it this way so that I can use it on forums as the proper spelling is generally used when I come to sign up.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
I should have put it in other words . I did not know a grommet was an existing stuff .When I read Gromet, I read a name.... which is associated to a cartoon dog .

Now back to Topic ...or I will get told off :Blush::Blush: ENGEL FRIDGE FREEZER

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
Engel

JJ,

Yes thank i do have one of them there fridges.....

I have owned it now for around 6 years, still works as good today as the day i bought it.

It has traveled in the Landy everywhere with me, some quite rough stuff too.

Very economical on energy.

Would i buy another? probably not as this one does not look like giving up anytime soon.

And if you read any artical on prepping a vehicle (4x4) for an overland trip, Engel is one name that is always there..

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Anyone used an ordinary domestic fridge in a van. They are much cheaper than those designed for mobile use and would be quite economical run off an inverter, or is weight a problem?

OP
OP
JJ

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Anyone used an ordinary domestic fridge in a van. They are much cheaper than those designed for mobile use and would be quite economical run off an inverter, or is weight a problem?

I agree and it was one of the routes I was investigating... indeed I was wondering whether you could convert the compressor in an ordinary fridge to run off a 12 volt motor and cut out the inverter altogether... I was going to get Snowbird onto it after he has finished building his solar powered moon rocket...

... but I must say that Engel fridge/freezer looks like a great bit of kit and I could use it in so many different circumstances... :RollEyes:

JJ

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Converting a domestic fridge was discussed a lot on the self build forum. I did look into it but it was too much hassle....

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi JJ, Dont know much about the Engle, but after I purchased the latest camper I had to replace the fridge. I got a great deal off a company on the Wirral which had both compressor and condenser fridges. I was surprised when there was little or no difference in the prices as I was lead to believe that the compressor fridges were much more expensive. I did go for a 3 way fridge freezer in the end as it had a large icebox. I did used to own a big Waeco which would freeze down to well below -15 but sold it long ago.

Sep 29, 2007
Wantage, UK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Motorhoming since 2006, 30 years tent camping in Africa
We've done two hunting trips in the Northern Territory in Australia where we used three different models of Engel fridges, and we have a expedition vehicle here with one of the smaller models. In my opinion they are the very best in terms of reliability, energy consumption and effectiveness. In 2009 we were in extreme heat and I was amazed that the Engels managed to keep everything so cool.

Would I buy another one?
You bet!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i have been using a household fridge with a small freezer bit at the top .just an under counter one . it was a second hand one . it worked fine for 7 years .it packed up last winter. waiting to get a new one now .havent bought one as i might be given a fridge with a proper seperate freezer bit above . but it can work fine .i go on some very bumpy roads and find it works even out in the desert . at home i park next to the house and run mu house fridge all the time .if sunny i also power the big deepfreeze and other things all from the slar and inverter . run an extension lead into the house.
i worked out i could always find a fridge .bought a ring inverter for 139 quid . and originally 3 80watt panels for the same price as a 12v compressor fridge .
in real dark winter in portrugal sometimes spain the inverter squealed in the night .now i have 6 panels it works continous .saves a shilling at home as well.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back