Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Could anyone tell me if these 12volt tvs come with with a normal plug on the lead,and if so can they just be plugged into sockets in van and run off leisure battery.Also how do some vans have a tv on for the kids whilst driving ,as when van is running I seem to have no power.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The 12 volt TV we have (from Maplins) came with a cigar lighter plug and a mains brick.

Power from the leisure battery is turned off when the engine is running in some vans but not others. After having an Elddis initially I thought it was the norm for the power to be off when driving but was informed in a thread earlier this year that it tends to be so with British but not continental vans. Checked our (current) Burstner and found that leisure battery power is available with the engine turned on.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
12v supermarket type TV's come with a mains lead only BUT they have a 12v transformer in the mains lead....usually a black box with the mains lead going into and another out to the TV.

they have a small tubular plug which fits in the TV's power socket.

you need a 12v lead with a cig lighter (usually) plug at one end and the small tubular plug at the other.

none will run off leisure batteries by just plugging into a 230v socket, they must have a 12v supply or mains power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Could anyone tell me if these 12volt tvs come with with a normal plug on the lead,and if so can they just be plugged into sockets in van and run off leisure battery.Also how do some vans have a tv on for the kids whilst driving ,as when van is running I seem to have no power.

Hi
TV ,s come with a mains plug for when on EHU on site if required, and also a 12v lead to use the 12v system there is normally a socket for both connections close to your tv point, has for tv on the move it would be 12 v playing a dvd, there are some domes that give a tv reception on the go but expensive. Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back