Waste tank smaller than fresh tank: why? (1 Viewer)

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Thread title says it all really - our waste tank is around 10 litres smaller than the waste tank, leading to additional and unnecessary water anxiety! Surely if the ratios were reversed, you could happily use all your fresh water in the knowledge that the waste wasn't going to overflow? As it is, we had a little 'accident' on our last site! I've not done a survey, but glancing at other van specs, this 'waste smaller than fresh' does seem to be common practice. Can anyone tell me why?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
what about fluids you drink?

Thread title says it all really - our waste tank is around 10 litres smaller than the waste tank, leading to additional and unnecessary water anxiety! Surely if the ratios were reversed, you could happily use all your fresh water in the knowledge that the waste wasn't going to overflow? As it is, we had a little 'accident' on our last site! I've not done a survey, but glancing at other van specs, this 'waste smaller than fresh' does seem to be common practice. Can anyone tell me why?

not all of the water you have on board goes into the waste tank.

Bob:Sad:

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Where else does it go then? We have a separate tank for the loo flush.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Making cups of tea, making ices cubes, or generally just drinking it.

Our waste tank is smaller and have never had a problem. :thumb:

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Ah. Seems we need to drink 10 litres of tea between us over a couple of days then! Still can't quite see why manufacturers seem to have a policy of making fresh bigger than waste though..

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Simple -cost and size constraints
terry

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The same ratio is seen in the tugging world..

Standard Aquaroll is 40lt

Wastemaster (made by the same company ) is 38lt

they assume you drink 2lt per barrel .. ::bigsmile:

However, they don't take into consideration the copious amounts of 'fall down' juice consumed by some ... :roflmto:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a lot of it ends up in the toilet cassette, especially if your van like ours flushes from the main tank. We empty whenever we can and fill with fresh whenever we can, never had a problem.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Well besides tea a fair bit of water evaporates from the tea towel and the shower towel or am I the only one who washes in the M/H. I have also been known to wash my shoes and wellies, that water falls straight onto the grass.

I do recall Brian mentioning he knows some Funsters who have never defecated in their Motor Home.

Try driving with Chris Green, that'll sort that one out. :roflmto:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Ah. Seems we need to drink 10 litres of tea between us over a couple of days then! Still can't quite see why manufacturers seem to have a policy of making fresh bigger than waste though..

No point in doing anything else, because it has worked for us all for so long why would they change it? :Doh:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
maybe its so you can fill the kettle and have a brew whilst at the disposal point emptying it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
::bigsmile:You should have a self build --both tanks the same size :thumb:::bigsmile:
don't worry about it most waste tanks have an overflow
terry

Last edited:

lugnutt

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 9, 2007
wednesbury.westmidlands
Funster No
MH
autotrail apache
Exp
10 years
i think one is meant to go the pub ,use there loo and fill your own when you get home....er no that don't work its like felling like a drink then you feel like a Curry that makes you wont a drink an another curry......foget i spoke...:RollEyes::RollEyes:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If you're that worried get a 20 litre plastic jerry can with a screw cap on its side and leave it lying flat under your waste tank emptying pipe with the valve open. When it gets to about half full, empty it at the disposal point and close the valve.

I never let my waste tank fill up - I drain it into a jerry can every couple of days. When we're on French aires I empty the waste water and loo before every departure, as we never know what we'll find at the next aire. Backed up drainage gulleys of both types are not uncommon on some aires (**COU-Lacanau-GH!**)

100 litres of waste water weighs 100 Kgs - no point driving round with extra weight if you can avoid it.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Our water rates at home are based upon the same principle, they measure the amount of water into the house then charge for a percentage of that water for the sewage charge. (not much of a percentage less!!)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
a lot of it ends up in the toilet cassette, especially if your van like ours flushes from the main tank. We empty whenever we can and fill with fresh whenever we can, never had a problem.

AHH the light dawns!!!! I always wondered that too, plus as mike says, washing up, we always (read tez) wash up in the van, tea and just water consumed. I drink lots of pure unadulterated water, now some will come on saying dont drink from the tank but we have for 4 years and never had a problem, must be immune from any nasties I suppose.

Road Burner

Free Member
Apr 24, 2008
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
Coach Built low
Exp
SINCE 2008
Waste Tank

I use a waste master and let the waste water drain into that. Also an Aquaroll to fill the fresh water tank. Saves all that rigmarole of moving the Van to fill up or drain waste. Also elimenates those awful stale dish water smells in the tank.

OP
OP
E
Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Yes, I too have waste and fresh water containers. But I'm reluctant to use them until I have to, as tethering yourself to containers seems at odds with the concept of motorhoming! I accept there are various ways to get around the problem of the waste tank being smaller than the fresh one, but I haven't yet seen a convincing argument as to why they should be sized that way! Cost and space don't cut it for me, since the difference in size is marginal in absolute terms. Think I;ll have to write to Mr Bentley, who made my Starburst, and ask him direct!

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Does no-one else chuck their veg water into the hedge? Or ditto the cold tea in the pot? There's nowt in the water except sterilised vegetable matter, which is still biodegradable - so I don't think it can ruin the eco sytem.

Many aires are made of severely compacted earth which gets further compacted by a long succession of heavy vehicles driving over it and parking on it. However most of them also drain, so eg the cold teapot or half cup of coffee, wine etc that someone forgot about, sometimes just get chucked somewhere on the edge - you wouldn't stress if you spilled it accidentally and a few drunken woodlice don't cause me any lost sleep.

Am I reprehensible? :whatthe:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've been on several Cls where the owner didn't want grey waste dumped in the elsan point and asked that we put it into the hedge .. so I carried a several meters of waste pipe that I attached to the grey outlet and run it directly into the hedge .. lots of sites are quite happy about this but do ask permission first .. !

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Exactly Jim, we've had campsite owners telling us to pour the used washing up water round the nearest tree, please! and all sorts. Even ask us to discharge the waste tank (which is mainly soapy water after all since we tend to try to let fat solidify, then scrape out and bin it (in an empty can or whatever or in kitchen roll/newspaper) with a slow drive along the hedge or whatever.

Perhaps those of us who've spent years camping where no mains flow - and may even remember latrines having to be dug first :roflmto: - tend to have the hang of such things! LOL

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Same here, always stay on CL / CS sites and have mostly been asked to get rid of the grey waste water into the hedges etc, infact when building this motorhome I built a filter box fitted with an automatic bilge pump so I could let my onboard waste tank empty straight into the box permamently while on site and it gets pumped out automatically as soon as the level reaches about 3 inches, any grease stays in the filter, hedge / trees etc get plenty of water.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. tipping waste grey water into the elsan drop isnt good for the campsite as many have to pay for that to be taken away by tanker. the normal sewage may go into there own sewage system or just into the mains system.
keep the elsan chemical stuff in the right place.having the chemicals in their own sewage system can stop it working .
orthey have to pay to have the elsan drop emptied more often .
in the hedge or somewhere isnt a bad idea . might even keep the place looking green in a drought .bit like the one we are in now .ha ha .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back