Free Member
Apr 4, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Trying to get one
Exp
I still sleep in my car
Anybody any thoughts on these ? I was kind of having my eye on some on ebay including this one, but I am wondering why it's so cheap.
Link Removed

Also I'm concerned as I only wanted a tiny van that I could stealth up! These are perhaps a bit big for me and insurance may be too high for me to manage,..

Last edited:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
At first glance the only thing I can see odd is that when you click on ask a question it has your email address and phone numbers you've given Ebay. When I click on ask a question for one of my watched items it doesn't have any of that info on show.
Has a long running time so hang back for a while--there are lots of Funsters who are excellent at spotting a scam and I'm sure they'll give you their thoughts.

Ad gives phone numbers--you could just ask, withholding your number, about number of previous owners or tyres or something to suss them out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I reckon there's a LOT of rust hiding under that fresh paintjob....IMHO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I reckon there's a LOT of rust hiding under that fresh paintjob....IMHO

could well be .. it's registered as white ..

orange ... not a great colour for a stealth van :roflmto:

Date of Liability 01 10 2012
Date of First Registration 01 08 1988
Year of Manufacture 1988
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 1995cc
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour WHITE
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available
Vehicle Excise Duty rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £121.00
12 Months Rate £220.00

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I wouldn't think it was good economy to have it properly resprayed due to it costing more than the asking price.

could be a DULUX repaint and wouldn't expect it to be orange for long.

seen DULUX gloss being sprayed many times on cars going to auction in the past. :Eeek:

a fraction of the price and a good, if not long lasting, finish.

and it looks like it needs a new N/S headlamp...pretty hard to source and expensive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
At first glance the only thing I can see odd is that when you click on ask a question it has your email address and phone numbers you've given Ebay. When I click on ask a question for one of my watched items it doesn't have any of that info on show.
Has a long running time so hang back for a while--there are lots of Funsters who are excellent at spotting a scam and I'm sure they'll give you their thoughts.

Ad gives phone numbers--you could just ask, withholding your number, about number of previous owners or tyres or something to suss them out.
Just tried that and I just get the normal 'ask seller a question' page and nothing else.

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Looks like a self build

not a problem done well

But check the quality of conversion

and wires are correct for the job

Don't forget the gas as well

Repaint the door handles should be black but are orange

So was it a cheap cover up

Spares will be a problem

I sold my 1996 self build traffic for £1400 5 years back

pics in the link at the bottom of the page
:thumb:

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi sugarmouse and welcome :thumb: It is a self built m/h -It is not the best converted van but then again it is not a lot of money-I can see it has a 3 way fridge in it :thumb: whether it is fitted correctly or not is another matter :Smile:As it is a self built that is better than a lot but worse than a lot it will only be worth the cost of the basic van plus around £400/500 for the bits in it :winky:as such I would think6/700 for the van plus 4/500 for bits so a fair price maybe £1100/1200 PROVIDED the van is in good nick.If you are confident it will pass another MOT then it has to be better than sleeping in the car--insurance wise if it is registered as a motor caravan and you are older than 25 it will only cost around £300 ish for the yr-Adrian flux will insure self builds so give them details and see how much.
terry

Upvote 0

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Walk away, in large steps! Its a late eighties Trafic which equates to high spares costs, lots of rot and a right royal pain to work on. Conversion looks OK but you can't see the wiring or gas installations and they could be good or they could be lethal. Crap quick paint job over rust will not last more than a month before it shows through, especially with the liquid atmosphere we're experiencing this summer.

D.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
A mate of mine had a couple of traffic vans of around that year for his business and was very keen to get rid within 2 years of new. They seemed to eat drive shafts and the bodywork was so flimsy that if a load moved in the back it dented the sides, and the side hinged door leaked like a seive. I guess thats one reason that there are so few left about now compared to same age transits.

Spare parts are going to be your biggest issue with this van, as others have found out. My advice is to save your money for something more common that can be maintained on a tight budget and is easier to be stealthy in

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back