Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
parked at shrewsbury fri,sat sun, mon-morning,useing batteries as our only power,2 times 110ah batteries,wife used hairdryer 3 times through 2000 watt inverter,telly for no more than about 5 hours,waterpump used alot lights used alot fan in roof used while cooking and forgot to turn it off while eating so possibly run for an hour over the weekend,out side light used every night,and no solar or genny needed all weekend,measured batteries mon morning 12.42 volts and no chargeing,till we got home:thumb:

OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
so what the hell do you want that super-duper 50amp battery charger for Chris ? :ROFLMAO:
thinking that myself:Doh:
had it with me aswell but never needed it:RollEyes:
forgot to mention charged up phones,pad,and e fag,and mifi dongle aswell

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
OP
OP
chrisgreen

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
so what the hell do you want that super-duper 50amp battery charger for Chris ? :ROFLMAO:
but why does anybody need solar for a four day stay off grid?
i think the biggest difference is the new four stage charger fitted to the van as the batteries were fully charged before i left and were fully conditioned:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
but why does anybody need solar for a four day stay off grid?
i think the biggest difference is the new four stage charger fitted to the van as the batteries were fully charged before i left and were fully conditioned:thumb:
That's odd Chris, I have two of them....one on the hookup and one on the solar panel....both 4 stage chargers, but still suffer from premature evacuation (of the battery volts) :winky::roflmto:

maybe my batteries are getting a little tired :Doh:

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Last time out for us was a 10 day stint .. and to be fair me and woman are both telly addicts so proly 6 hours a day ( BIG telly ) +sat system + all the usual gubbings like two pumps, lights and all the usual chargers

Two 110 Ah bats with 180w ( max ) of solar power ( and I would say 7 out of the 10 days was VERY dull and overcast

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
I have two lesiures, and am about to add another one, that,ll do us for a week easily, but we dont do TV, just the laptop for a film now and then.
I,m going to upgrade the alternator....that,ll just about do us thanks.:thumb:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
I have two lesiures, and am about to add another one, that,ll do us for a week easily, but we dont do TV, just the laptop for a film now and then.
I,m going to upgrade the alternator....that,ll just about do us thanks.:thumb:

Wonder how much you will decrease your payload by with all that lead ?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
About the same as a genny or a load of solar panels and a TV I would have thought:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I have been parked up on and off for over twenty years... :ROFLMAO:

SO, I have four solar panels and three 110 batteries and a genny and a B2B Sterling charger and a Battery Mate from Road Pro (not wired in yet) in the home vehicle...

...and two solar panels, two batteries and a genny in the holiday vehicle...

Solar panels and batteries are like cold beers in the fridge... you can never have too many of them... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
yes but you are in the sun JJ

I have been parked up on and off for over twenty years... :ROFLMAO:

SO, I have four solar panels and three 110 batteries and a genny and a B2B Sterling charger and a Battery Mate from Road Pro (not wired in yet) in the home vehicle...

...and two solar panels, two batteries and a genny in the holiday vehicle...

Solar panels and batteries are like cold beers in the fridge... you can never have too many of them... :winky:

JJ :Cool:

You have a big advantage JJ - sun... in the UK we do not seem to see that much of it these days.

As long as I have plenty of fuel on board at Rutland next week I will have all the power I want.

Bob:Blush:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
I have 1 x 110 Amp battery, 1 x 85W monocrystalline solar panel, all LED lighting, every gadget in the van runs off the 12v (telly, sat box, laptop, various chargers, wife's hair straighteners etc), the 230v inverter is disconnected and redundant, and I can't remember the last time we used a hookup. My Aldi bargain generator is still sitting unused in its unopened box. For the last 12 months the alternator has not been putting power into the leisure battery when we're driving and we're still OK (although the fridge won't do 12v). I hope to get that fixed soon.

Typically we'll do 3-4 weeks away in summer and shorter trips the rest of the time. The battery is usually topped up by mid-day between spring and autumn. I fully appreciate that winter might be a different prospect but I have to get older and retire before I can try that option.

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you are constantly on campsites with hookup solar panels and extra batteries are a complete waste of money. But if you use your motorhome as it was intended ie NOT as a static caravan but as a means to see distant places and be free of the constraints of having to stop where and when there is a campsite then alternative energy is not an expensive luxury, but a necessity.
Its horses for courses, and it all depends what you use your camper for. As one funster put it a few days ago. "Some motorhomes are just expensive log cabins".
Like JJ, I have not had hookup in years and don't even know if the hookup works on the motorhome I have now as I don't have a hookup cable any more.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
WE have 4x80w solar panels which was a ridiculous overprovision for France/Spain last month. We use the electric kettle all the time when away as it doesn't heat up the van like one on a gas ring, also saves gas. Solar is mainly running kettle and hairdrier but also the Turbovent (Max speed 2-3A) which was running 24/7 in the hot weather. I have thought of having some sort of switchover to run the fridge via inverter when its sunny, anyone any thoughts.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
WE have 4x80w solar panels which was a ridiculous overprovision for France/Spain last month. We use the electric kettle all the time when away as it doesn't heat up the van like one on a gas ring, also saves gas. Solar is mainly running kettle and hairdrier but also the Turbovent (Max speed 2-3A) which was running 24/7 in the hot weather. I have thought of having some sort of switchover to run the fridge via inverter when its sunny, anyone any thoughts.
The simple solution is wire the fridge 12volt side to the leisure batteries instead of the engine.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The simple solution is wire the fridge 12volt side to the leisure batteries instead of the engine.

Simple but there is no thermostat on the 12v bit, hence wishing to use 230v via inverter. I haven't really given it much thought yet, I need to explore where the wiring goes.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Many that have large solar/battery systems do wire the 12volt side of the fridge to the leisure batteries and keep any eye on the state of the batteries, switching over to gas when they are becoming discharged. If using the inverter to power the fridge it will of course waste power.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
You only have to stand on your MH roof in an aire (if you're still able to get up the ladder :winky:) and look around you to see how universal solar panels are now. I woudn't be surprised if they're standard fit on some models - they certainly ought to be.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if the fridge is an absorption type it will draw around 10amps constantly on 12v when its turned on.

240amps per day.... that's the equivalent of 5 x 110ah batteries.....that will take some replacing each day :Eeek:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
if the fridge is an absorption type it will draw around 10amps constantly on 12v when its turned on.

240amps per day.... that's the equivalent of 5 x 110ah batteries.....that will take some replacing each day :Eeek:
Thats as maybe John, but if your producing more solar power than you can use its best to divert it somewhere as into the fridge. As I said its a case of keeping your eye on the battery levels and then switching back over to gas when they get down.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back