Securing points on coach built roof (1 Viewer)

Steveclay

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Falmouth uk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
New
Hi i want to tie down a canoe and surfboard on my recently purchased 1999 swift royal motorhome. I dont want to buy an expensive roof rack and was wandering about fitting som ring eye plates to the roof. My question is has anybody done this and if so how did you attach the plates.
Thanks
Steve

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If it was me doing it I would use a large aluminium plate as big as possible sikaflexed to the roof. The eyes would have to be fitted first with flush fitting bolts from underneath.

That's how I fitted my DataStorm which weighed in at 88Kg:Eeek:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Beware....not all roof skins are fully bonded to the roof superstructure to allow for expansion and contraction.

stick the rings to the wrong roof and they wont be secured to the roof framework...only to the outer skin.

My Swift Kontiki was one such model..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the only safe place to bolt to on most roofs is around the edge directly above the walls. Anywhere else even over the hidden framework would cause problems as the skin moves independantly on many vans especially swifts

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Beware....not all roof skins are fully bonded to the roof superstructure to allow for expansion and contraction.

stick the rings to the wrong roof and they wont be secured to the roof framework...only to the outer skin.

My Swift Kontiki was one such model..

Dont stop the two skins moving on the kontiki roof or you will end up with a Kon-leaky...............:rain::rain::rain:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back