whitby n.yorkshire (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
:Smile: Hi you can park behind the Co op behind where the busses park you pay for 24 hour's I think it is £5 or £6 :thumb:

You can also park on the cliff top in the car park for 24 hrs, but strictly speaking you are not supposed to overnight in the MH, although the traffic wardens seem pretty ok about it. Just don't "set up camp" around the MH and don't make it obvious you are sleeping there. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
:Smile: Hi you can park behind the Co op behind where the busses park you pay for 24 hour's I think it is £5 or £6 :thumb:

You can also park on the cliff top in the car park for 24 hrs, but strictly speaking you are not supposed to overnight in the MH, although the traffic wardens seem pretty ok about it. Just don't "set up camp" around the MH and don't make it obvious you are sleeping there. :thumb:

Neither of those places van be used legally for overnight habitation. After all sorts of problems being caused for residents in Whitby and the rest of Scarborough borough, the council is finally taking action - see Broken Link Removed and Link Removed.

Hopefully the scheme will be extended to Whitby in the future but one certain way to discourage the council is repeated illegal habitation, because it will simply encourage a residents' lobby against any provision.

In the meantime there are plenty of caravan sites around the area plus the C&CC have several THSs in Whitby in the coming months.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Point taken.

But..... the only problem with these sites is that they are usually miles out of town. If I go to Whitby, for instance, I go in my car and come home at night, cos I am close enough. Therefore I don't stay in Whitby and spend my money there in the pubs and cafes, or indeed, the campsites.
We have a friend who lives in Whitby who has neighbours who park there MHs and self build vans outside her home all the time. They even have elec hook up cables running across the footpaths. When she complained to the council in a bid to remove them she was told it was perfectly legal. The only thing that they did was make them tape over the hook ups to stop them being a trip hazard. Who is to say no-one sleeps in them.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi have a look http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/results3.asp?search=whitby&by=town
We have stayed on several and quite like Beacons farm -make ice cream and nice choccy cake :thumb:-There are plenty of places to wild park on top of Blue bank heading towards Gothland/Gosmont.There is also a pub about 5 mls out that lets you stay FOC if you buy a meal or few drinks :thumb:Cannot remember the name but I can give directions if you want them ::bigsmile:
terry

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Point taken.

But..... the only problem with these sites is that they are usually miles out of town. If I go to Whitby, for instance, I go in my car and come home at night, cos I am close enough. Therefore I don't stay in Whitby and spend my money there in the pubs and cafes, or indeed, the campsites.
We have a friend who lives in Whitby who has neighbours who park there MHs and self build vans outside her home all the time. They even have elec hook up cables running across the footpaths. When she complained to the council in a bid to remove them she was told it was perfectly legal. The only thing that they did was make them tape over the hook ups to stop them being a trip hazard. Who is to say no-one sleeps in them.

We also visit Whitby by car as we're also close. The problem of sites being out of town is not unique to Whitby though, simply a reflection of practicality & economics. On the other hand the THSs are often close in (Community College for example).

The example of your friend's neighbours is a good one of the way in which some of our fellows get us a bad reputation. The more it happens the less it will help our cause :Sad:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
We also visit Whitby by car as we're also close. The problem of sites being out of town is not unique to Whitby though, simply a reflection of practicality & economics. On the other hand the THSs are often close in (Community College for example).

The example of your friend's neighbours is a good one of the way in which some of our fellows get us a bad reputation. The more it happens the less it will help our cause :Sad:

I agree, but some people cut their nose off to spite their own face, by not being very welcoming. A lot of places are short of money right now and you would think it would be in their own interest to be a bit more tolerant.
Guess it's a case of NIMBYism sometimes.

Anyway, having said all that, we still normally go and stay on a site and drive to these places and find a place to park for the day. Either that or I take the motorbike in the trailer and we use that. Then we see signs saying no motorcyclists. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
There is a great site right on the cliff by the castle it is about a20 minute walk into town along the cliff side. Also Sandsend has a good sight that is about the same distance. It is opposite the golf club.

SPUD'N'T

Free Member
Aug 25, 2008
YORK ENGLAND
Funster No
MH
COACHBUILT (LOW PROFILE)
Exp
since 2008
we have stayed on the car parking area just above whitby at the top of sleights overnight mant times without any problems, fantastic views, very short drive into whitby where you can park on the cliff tops above the beach during the day

voyager 1

Free Member
Oct 25, 2012
Durham Tees valley
Funster No
MH
c class Swift voyager
Exp
30+yrs
overnight parking in Whitby

Have been to a C&CC rally at the weekend held at west cliff primary school. There seems to be a war on parking of motorhomes on the streets and car parks between the hours of 11 pm untill 6 am . New signs have been erecetd along the road at west cliiff stating so .:Sad:Also making head line news in the local paper, it seems to be a ongoing battle between people overnigthing in there vans and complaints from some local residents.:Angry: Reading the article in the Whitby Gasette motorhomes are a blight on the landscape.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
how long will it be before some nimby town somewhere erects a sign stating No Visitors

well some more or less have by no cars, no caravans, no motorhomes, no motorcycles, no cyclists etc.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back