Free Member
Jul 2, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
LWB Hitop LDV Luton
Exp
Hi guys, new member here.

After recently buying a 2004 LDV Convoy (LWB HITOP) fully kitted out there is only one thing I need to complete this bargain.

The side doors on the van are sealed as the 2nd bed is along that side of the van, so only the back doors are for access. This van is 1.81m high being a hightop.

Now my question is are there cheap ways to fit a shelter/awning to the van without having to shell out the £200 for a wind out etc?

Holidays booked and can't afford to shell out yet so I was thinking hooking a ground sheet to the top of the sill and getting a couple of tent poles with guy ropes to secure it, just to cover the back doors if its raining etc.

Anyone got/used any other solutions to this on a budget problem?

Thanks in advance!

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2010
where ever we park up
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
just completed 6th year
Hi and welcome
I would suggest look on ebay, just got a day tent off there for £50.00 brand new best of luck
regards
Tony

OP
OP
C

CJacko

Free Member
Jul 2, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
LWB Hitop LDV Luton
Exp
Day tent, nice idea. I tried so many different searches but not that one.

Thanks, will have a look and see if I can pick up a bargain, just hope they are tall enough to go over my Hitop with the doors open.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
C

CJacko

Free Member
Jul 2, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
LWB Hitop LDV Luton
Exp
They don't appear to fit my van and they are just as pricey as a normal awning :Sad:

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Hi and welcome,

I got a Vango Tarp (about £20) and replaced the shock cord with some 3 core electrical wire, anything flexible and of the correct diameter will do, and attach it to the gutter with figure of 8 stuff. A couple of tent poles at the other end and some guy ropes and I reckon I've saved myself £400.
I hope my instructions are clear enough.:Smile:. Good luck.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You can get a fiamma-caravanstore-roll-out-awning quite cheap. Johns Cross Motorhomes probably sell them. They just roll out of a bag that is secured to your van.

Link Removed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Not the cheapest option, (though this aint bad at just over £100) but you can drive away leaving this awning free standing...and it will fit over the rear doors of your van.

I had one for a while until we bought our RV then sold it to a funster.

Link Removed.

OP
OP
C

CJacko

Free Member
Jul 2, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
LWB Hitop LDV Luton
Exp
Hi and welcome,

I got a Vango Tarp (about £20) and replaced the shock cord with some 3 core electrical wire, anything flexible and of the correct diameter will do, and attach it to the gutter with figure of 8 stuff. A couple of tent poles at the other end and some guy ropes and I reckon I've saved myself £400.

Could you elaborate on the figure of 8 thing, or maybe a pic or 2? Sounds like the kind of budget i'm on at the moment.

And thanks for the tip.

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
you sound like a man after my own heart ! the budget way is always the best way[if possible !!] my solution when i had my vw was __ 1 tarpaulian [machinemart] 2 extending clothes props [wilkies] 2 packs of plastic jaw clips[£1shop] and next doors old clothes line [for guide ropes !] this worked perfectly for a 3 week tour of the south of france . we did look a bit like the dingles on tour but who cares !! regards garry

OP
OP
C

CJacko

Free Member
Jul 2, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
LWB Hitop LDV Luton
Exp
Hi and welcome,

I presume you mean one of these:
Link Removed

Do/would they fit onto the guttering of my Convoy? all looks far too easy and convenient:Smile: hehe

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Link Removed

Do/would they fit onto the guttering of my Convoy? all looks far too easy and convenient:Smile: hehe
despite what the seller says, they will NOT stay on the rain gutter....i know, i tried....the first sign of a wind and it will pull off.

they are designed to slide onto a proper awning rail with a special double beaded tape

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
this explains what i mean.

To assemble a drive away kit...

Simply slide the length of twin piping into the awning rail. Now slide the figure of 8 plastic strips onto the opposite side of the same twin piping section. The opposite side of the figure 8 strips slide onto the piping sewn onto the back of your awning.

Link Removed

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
Hi guys, new member here.

After recently buying a 2004 LDV Convoy (LWB HITOP) fully kitted out there is only one thing I need to complete this bargain.

The side doors on the van are sealed as the 2nd bed is along that side of the van, so only the back doors are for access. This van is 1.81m high being a hightop.

Now my question is are there cheap ways to fit a shelter/awning to the van without having to shell out the £200 for a wind out etc?

Holidays booked and can't afford to shell out yet so I was thinking hooking a ground sheet to the top of the sill and getting a couple of tent poles with guy ropes to secure it, just to cover the back doors if its raining etc.

Anyone got/used any other solutions to this on a budget problem?

Thanks in advance!

Broken Link Removed

I bought a small 6'-00"porch awning from a caravan shop for about 65 quid for the 'old girl' has two side zip doors and a rear one so whatever the direction of wind it seems to shelter. My cooker is at the rear so I need to be draught free.

yorkshirepudding

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Pudsey/Leeds
Funster No
MH
Thinking of tenting again
Exp
September '09
Link Removed

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying. Pressing matters...:Doh:

Yes, that's the thingy. It is cheap and cheerful but so effective. Tried and tested in storm conditions too but easy to drop down if the weather gets really bad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back