Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Have just discovered a 2.5 kw inverter in the garage of our newly acquired motorhome along with 2 solar panels and three leisure batteries I wondered what on earth I need all this power for.
Anyone any suggestions?
(One suggestion was the batteries would run the fridge on 240v supply whilst wild camping???????????)

Norman

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I wish I had 2.5 kw inverter

Have just discovered a 2.5 kw inverter in the garage of our newly acquired motorhome along with 2 solar panels and three leisure batteries I wondered what on earth I need all this power for.
Anyone any suggestions?
(One suggestion was the batteries would run the fridge on 240v supply whilst wild camping???????????)

Norman

I have a 1500 watt pure sinwave combi Sterling inverter.. I wish had more power.

It allows me to run almost all electrical items I might need. Plus as it is a combo unit, it works via my 4 kw genny so I can run microwaves, roof aircon etc., when no ehu is available

But you do need good size batteries ... sounds as if you have done well.

Bob:Blush:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyone any suggestions?

Norman

Some not very bright previous owner, I can confirm your suspicions, solar panels are never going to work in a garage.

People just can't come to terms between energy in the home, limitless, and energy on the move, highly limited. If you have 2.5Kw going out you need 2.5Kw going back in pretty sharpish and the only off hook up solution is a big genny. So you might as well just run a genny.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Anyone any suggestions?

Norman

You will need the 3 x110Ah batteries if you intend running a 2.5Kw inverter. 3 x 110Ah battery will give you 150AH.

We have a 2Kw inverter and its standby current is less than 1 amp. No way could the batteries run the fridge for any lenght of time. We run ours on Gas. An absorption fridge element is 130amps at 240v or 12v. A compressor type may be ok during the day but will flatten your batteries overnight.

Get the panels fixed to the van roof they are doing no good in the garage. You do not say what output the panels are.

We have 260watt Solar panels and a Morningstar Duo 25amp Regulator. This keeps both battery banks topped up on a 90%/10% split.

With this size panel the best output we have had in June was 18.11amps. The best daily output was 100Ah per day The average output for the month was 69.9AH per day. The worst day we only got 9.9Ah in a day from the panels.

With this array we have just about managed to stay off hookup full timing since mid May. With dull days in succession we have had to suppliment with our Gasparini 12v 20 amp generator or the 40amp B2B.

We have driven about 60 miles in June.

John

Last edited:
OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Some not very bright previous owner, I can confirm your suspicions, solar panels are never going to work in a garage.

People just can't come to terms between energy in the home, limitless, and energy on the move, highly limited. If you have 2.5Kw going out you need 2.5Kw going back in pretty sharpish and the only off hook up solution is a big genny. So you might as well just run a genny.

Sorry for confusion, the solar panels are on the roof, fitted and charging three huge leisure batteries situated beneath the floor in the mh. The 240v plugs are all uk flat pin plugs. I wonder if with inverter I might be able to use a low watt microwave as I don't have an oven.
This electric thing confuses me.:whatthe:

Norman

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Sorry for confusion, the solar panels are on the roof, fitted and charging three huge leisure batteries situated beneath the floor in the mh. The 240v plugs are all uk flat pin plugs. I wonder if with inverter I might be able to use a low watt microwave as I don't have an oven.

Norman

With that inverter you should run a standard microwave. But not for long.

Lets guess 3 x 110Ah batteries so you have available 3 x 110 x 12 / 2 = 1980 watt hours stored. That's an hour's microwaving.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Norman
you should be able to run a 1kw microwave off your inverter but it will draw around 84amps/hour from your battery.
a 1kw microwave may draw a lot more power on start-up though.....maybe 1500/1700watts....well within your inverters capability but your batteries may suffer.

if its a modified sinewave inverter it may not do the microwave much good though.

pure sinewave will be fine.

OP
OP
normanandsue

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
With that inverter you should run a standard microwave. But not for long.

Lets guess 3 x 110Ah batteries so you have available 3 x 110 x 12 / 2 = 1980 watt hours stored. That's an hour's microwaving.

You have guessed spot on - after an hours microwaving the batteries would be flat, so perhaps not a good idea unless on a bright, warm sunny day, when I would not want a hot meal.
Many thanks.

Norman

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back