Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Looking at inverters I see there is a plug socket built into the unit itself.When used alongside leisure batteries and wired into the van are u able to use all the sockets in the van. Or do u have to run a lead back to the inverter and take power from that.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the inverter is hard wired to the vans fuse/distribution box you can use all the sockets up to the inverters max output.

another wiring option would be a short hookup lead with a UK 3 pin plug on one end for the inverter end and then plug into the vans hookup point.

either way you need to turn off the onboard charger or it will hammer your battery.

Sep 26, 2010
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2009
Looking at inverters I see there is a plug socket built into the unit itself.When used alongside leisure batteries and wired into the van are u able to use all the sockets in the van. Or do u have to run a lead back to the inverter and take power from that.

Hi,
My advice would be to just use the one socket on the inverter, don't connect the output from the inverter into any other mains sockets in the van.
The inverter will be rated at 'x' Watts (eg 300W or whatever). Be careful not to exceed its rating. (Power = Volts x Amps). For safety sake, take advice if you're not sure.
John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
We have 2 inverters, one 500 watt which supplies 3 separate sockets around the van which we never use, plus 1 X 3000 watt which has its own dedicated socket and battery which is charged by solar only when all other batteries are full. I never use the big inverter as I don't have enough hair to dry :Blush:.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Simplest is to simply run an extension cable from the inverter to wherever you want in the van make sure it is uncoiled though :thumb:

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It is possible to wire the inverter to the van's sockets, but not a simple job - you have to arrange for the normal circuits to be isolated. A job for an experienced auto electrician unless you know what you are doing. Taking the 230V output direct from the inverter is the easiest solution. If you want a more elegant solution than trailing an extension lead, have a look at the job I did with a 150W inverter. It's in the Downloads>Miscellaneous section. This link should take you to it:
Link Removed

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have a 1500 watt inverter

I have a 1500 watt inverter... fitted by VanBitz of Taunton.. a member on this site... All my 230v sockets are wired in and the batteries are powered by my 4kw generator on the RV...

I can power most things, like the air con (roof) microwave... mains 26" tv etc.,

I had a proper job done.. it was expensive, but well worth it... just wish I had gone for the higher rated inverter.... Mind you I do have a pure sin wav rather than a modified sin wave.. and they are not cheap.. but then I do not get tv flicker or lines and my laptops are happy as it is pure electric being used like in the house. I have two 100amp batteries and the set up works fine for me.

Bob:Blush:

OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Inverter

When watching tv through inverter do lights in van still work have I got 12volt at same time

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
When watching tv through inverter do lights in van still work have I got 12volt at same time
all 12v works as normal when running an inverter.

if your Tv has a 'black brick' in the mains lead it can also run on 12v with a 12v adaptor lead.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Lights , water pump etc all work as normal. But be aware what you take out of the battery you must be able to put back in it is a limited resource..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
And dont forget to switch the inverter off when not in use as it will continue to drain your battery even with nothing plugged in

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back