Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I'm heading down at about 7pm tomorrow evening and wondered if anyone has any suggestions as to where I could pull over for the night without being disturbed, preferably south of the M25.

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Stop 24 at services jnc 11 on M20 think they have started £5;00 charge but heard of no one colllecting as yet, Folkestone on the leas alongside Grand and Metropole hotel lovely cliff top views and walks, free. Dover Marine parade alongside the ferry port long road Free parking between 6;00pm and 08;00 am i believe.

Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
dover stopover

Hi dover sea front is as good as any done it many times happy travels Rod:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
2 hr free or pay by phone for overnight at J11 or they will send a fine to your home abode:Doh:.

Marine parade at Dover is best although I dont know how busy it is this time of year. Richard

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Marine parade as mentions..
BUT I always prefer to get down there, cross over and then go into the ferry port car park.
Pretty secure, if a little noisy.. and your up, off and running in the morning...

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Military Road in Hythe just a few miles south of Dover.
Noisy till about 20.00 hrs then quiet. Pubs and foodie places in High St. Adjacent to park area for dog walking.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
M2 Medway Service area between J4 and J5 southbound - you have to pay by credit card using your mobile, details on car park signs.

There's the Canterbury Park'n'Ride MH parking area on New Dover Road, although I think their barrier shuts after 9pm, and definitely on Sundays.

After that on the A2 between Canterbury and Dover, there's a big lay-by set back from the road next to Kent Motorcycles, see Google Maps 51.192846 1.186781 - popular with truckers though.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Better to cross channel and overnight in car park at either Dunkirk or Calais terminal offices. You get an easy start next day. Better still cross Newhaven Dieppe and sleep on boat. 20% discount if over 60.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
Better to cross channel and overnight in car park at either Dunkirk or Calais terminal offices. You get an easy start next day. Better still [HI]cross Newhaven Dieppe[/HI] and sleep on boat. 20% discount if over 60.

Expensive...........

Mavis

Funster
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2007
Seasalter kent
Funster No
MH
Clubman
Exp
Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
And...Calais ferry car park has now changed..
They seem to have a charging system to pak, place was packed when i came back earlier this week, drove round and had to come out and go to cite Europe.
The area near the police station where most vans used to park was full and marked out for employees. The 2 booking offices have. now gone....:Doh:

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Military Road in Hythe just a few miles south of Dover.
Noisy till about 20.00 hrs then quiet. Pubs and foodie places in High St. Adjacent to park area for dog walking.

Wouldn't you end up in the sea? ::bigsmile:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
And...Calais ferry car park has now changed..
They seem to have a charging system to pak, place was packed when i came back earlier this week, drove round and had to come out and go to cite Europe.
The area near the police station where most vans used to park was full and marked out for employees. The 2 booking offices have. now gone....:Doh:

We used the car park next to the police station, opposite the shops entrance twice in July, on the way out and on the way back.

Plenty of room even when staff had arrived for work on Monday morning. We left about 10am Monday morning and you could still have got 30 vans on there.

Has it now changed, or am I in the wrong place? The one we used was left of the police station if standing opposite the PS. Opposite what I assumed were the main doors into the shopping centre with Carrefour on your left as you walk in.

Steve

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Steve..
It,s calais ferry port that seems to have changed.. Not cite Europe.....
The portkabin booking offices of P&O etc are gone and lots of new signs, mostly saying somthing about parking charges.... I didnt get time to take it all in as i drove around.

I know it is August so it was maybe bussier than usual but at 8.30pm could not find 1 single spot. Drove in, around and out again. Went to Cite Europe as you described...Had a quiet nite there...

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Steve..
It,s calais ferry port that seems to have changed.. Not cite Europe.....
The portkabin booking offices of P&O etc are gone and lots of new signs, mostly saying somthing about parking charges.... I didnt get time to take it all in as i drove around.

I know it is August so it was maybe bussier than usual but at 8.30pm could not find 1 single spot. Drove in, around and out again. Went to Cite Europe as you described...Had a quiet nite there...

Sorry, thought your last sentence was about Cite Europe.

Don`t quite know why there are concerns about crime there as it`s so close to the Police Station.

Steve

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It was out first stay over at Cite Europe, been many times in the day to do shopping..
I did read recently, could have been here on FUN, about an attempted break in to a van.

I made sure that i was parked in the centre of the car park and had vans on either side, my thinking is that with other vans around there are more eyes and ears..:thumb:
So it would be interesting to know if the "attempted" break in happened to a van that was maybe parked around the edge near the fencing or away for others..
Some people like to park away maybe to be thoughtfull rather than anti social, maybe they have a dog that yaps or a loud snorer..!!!

Either way, use common sense and Cite Europe is a good spot..
I am back over in 2 weeks, this time in my car.. If I get the chance will check out the ferry port again and report in..:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back