LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2011
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur RX9 2012
Exp
Since 2001
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/jun/28/uk-cities-ban-polluting-traffic?newsfeed=true

UK cities face ban on heavily polluting traffic:
Twelve cities are likely to be affected after the European commission refused to give UK more time to reduce emissions.....

.... Newcastle, Liverpool, Tyneside, Sheffield, Bristol, Brighton, Birkenhead, Preston, Swansea, Belfast, south-west England, north-east Scotland and south Wales are all likely to have to introduce "low-emission zones" ....

:Eeek:

Cheers

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/jun/28/uk-cities-ban-polluting-traffic?newsfeed=true

UK cities face ban on heavily polluting traffic:
Twelve cities are likely to be affected after the European commission refused to give UK more time to reduce emissions.....

.... Newcastle, Liverpool, Tyneside, Sheffield, Bristol, Brighton, Birkenhead, Preston, Swansea, Belfast, south-west England, north-east Scotland and south Wales are all likely to have to introduce "low-emission zones" ....

:Eeek:

Cheers

Tyneside, south-west England, north-east Scotland and south Wales are geographical regions of the country not cities.

There are only 9 cities mentioned that could impliment LEZ on the London model and Manchester has already rejected such a scheme when it was suggested by a local referendum.

John

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
What I fail to grasp with Emission Zones is........cities are trying to rid themselves of polluting vehicles by charging.

But if you pay the charge, you are still taking your stinky vehicle into the city.

So how exactly does that reduce pollution?

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
What I fail to grasp with Emission Zones is........cities are trying to rid themselves of polluting vehicles by charging.

But if you pay the charge, you are still taking your stinky vehicle into the city.

It doesnt xxxxx

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
So just how in London do all the planes get away with it and the motorist not?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
clearly someone is happy about it

"The UK's poor air quality is a national disgrace that causes tens of thousands of premature deaths every year. The government must now come clean about the steps it will take to rapidly cut air pollution – or face paying millions of pounds in fines," said the Friends of the Earth campaigner Jenny Bates.

Clearly someone is happy about it....

Mind you they do have it in a number of German cities.... and for a number of years.. so we have lagged long behind others in meeting the requirements.

Bob:Blush:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I guess it will eventually mean the end of all vehicles on the road unless they are new (compliant vehicles) Gas guzzling motorhomes will be banned and end up as static mobiles being unable to move anywhere. The rich will just pay either the costs or the upgrades. The rest of us will hasten to our graves without further travel. Whilst I agree the emissions must be reduced the motorist is at the bottom of the heap of producers, yet top of those affected by any measures. Aircraft should be the prime targets followed by exempt military usage. Bob Dylan said it right when he sang "times they are a changing", and freeborn men of the traveling people will disappear from the face of the earth. We will all return to the sea from whence we came and float in a sea of excrement until the day of judgment.:whatthe:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
It is just another TAX it will not reduce a thing just makes more money for the authorities

disabled drivers have now to pay £3.00 to park at hospitals with blue badge parking bays it is criminal day light robbery :Eeek:

government gives £ss so you can get about then the greedy NHS trusts take the piss :cry:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022

In practice many do not take their vehicles in or change to compliant vehicles. That is how the specific pollutants targeted are reduced.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
It is just another TAX it will not reduce a thing just makes more money for the authorities

[HI]disabled drivers have now to pay £3.00 to park at hospitals with blue badge parking bays it is criminal day light robbery :Eeek:[/HI]

government gives £ss so you can get about then the greedy NHS trusts take the piss :cry:

Why do you link dissability to poverty? I know a number of people who are disabled and NOT poor.

I agree that parking charges are wrong, by the way.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I guess it will eventually mean the end of all vehicles on the road unless they are new (compliant vehicles) Gas guzzling motorhomes will be banned

Actually...........................

My 2.8ltr diesel motorhome is LEZ 2012 compliant ... Yet womans 1300 Jimny is effectively not !!:Eeek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
My LPG powered, environmentally friendly RV is also compliant , the cheapest fuel and no extra charges in Emission Zones :thumb::thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I guess it will eventually mean the end of all vehicles on the road unless they are new (compliant vehicles) Gas guzzling motorhomes will be banned and end up as static mobiles being unable to move anywhere. The rich will just pay either the costs or the upgrades. The rest of us will hasten to our graves without further travel. Whilst I agree the emissions must be reduced the motorist is at the bottom of the heap of producers, yet top of those affected by any measures. Aircraft should be the prime targets followed by exempt military usage. Bob Dylan said it right when he sang "times they are a changing", and freeborn men of the traveling people will disappear from the face of the earth. We will all return to the sea from whence we came and float in a sea of excrement until the day of judgment.:whatthe:

My LPG guzzling RV is LEZ compliant, it doesn't burn smelly , particle producing diesel :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Agreed :Smile: - but, as with everything, boundaries have to be somewhere :Smile:

Of course, if we had the legislation passed centrally the boundary could be the coast and catch everyone ::bigsmile:
On the radio today some MP doctor wants a smoking ban in cars. He says that a cigarette emits more pollutants per mile than come out of the car exhaust. Little wonder London air quality is so bad.:Eeek:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
On the radio today some MP doctor wants a smoking ban in cars. He says that a cigarette emits more pollutants per mile than come out of the car exhaust. [HI]Little wonder London air quality is so bad[/HI].:Eeek:

Could all the hot air and pollutants simply come from the people living there, everytime I drive through Kent I find that has a funny smell..

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Could all the hot air and pollutants simply come from the people living there, everytime I drive through Kent I find that has a funny smell..
Nah that's apples hops and catalytic converters.:Smile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Birkenhead,where I live is not a city,well done Gruniad at least you spelt it correctly.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
lez is just a damned money maker

they spend nothing on air quality

what with the extra traffic for the olympics goodness knows what the outfall will be.

No doubt in 10 years there will be outrage at the amount we are all costing the NHS

I wonder whether william hill would accept a bet on this?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
On the radio today some MP doctor wants a smoking ban in cars. He says that a cigarette emits more pollutants per mile than come out of the car exhaust. Little wonder London air quality is so bad.:Eeek:

Maybe we would get more sense out of MPs if they closed all four bars in the House of Commons .. one of which is a members smoking room :RollEyes:

The net cost of the House of Commons Catering and Retail Service met from public funds was £5.7m in 2009/10.

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have an LEZ certificate on my RV

You can run the registration number of diesel's and petrol engines... My RV is compliant... which doubt Roger's is (Wildman).....

In fact they have a devils job at the MOT station to get a reading for the Ford Triton engines.. they are so clean. More than can be said for smelly dirty diesels that cause all the issues.. black cabs and motor homes etc.,

Now if they used the AMERICAN engine's they might have less smog readings.

Bob:Blush:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Maybe we would get more sense out of MPs if they closed all four bars in the House of Commons .. one of which is a members smoking room :RollEyes:

Not so Jim

“The Health Act 2006 introduces a ban on smoking in workplaces and enclosed or substantially enclosed public places from 1 July 2007. While the Act does not formally apply on the parliamentary estate, the Commission, on the advice of the Administration Committee, has decided that the House should comply with the principles of the legislation, as it is not desirable that those who work on or visit the parliamentary estate should be treated differently in this respect than in other workplaces and public places. The Commission recognises, however, that many who work on the estate are unavoidably present for long periods, particularly when the House is sitting. It is therefore desirable to make reasonable provision for those who wish to smoke to do so, provided that the health and safety of other users of the estate is not adversely affected.

With these principles in mind, the Commission has decided that smoking should cease to be permitted [HI]from 1 July 2007 in all internal areas of the House of Commons estate, including in bars and private offices. From that date smoking will, however, be permitted in four designated external areas: the Terrace, Commons Court (North West corner), North Terrace (between Portcullis House and Norman Shaw South), and in a designated area on the west side of Canon Row courtyard. Cigarette receptacles will be provided in these areas.[/HI] “No Smoking” signs will be displayed at entrances to the buildings. I understand that the House of Lords Administration and Works Committee will report its recommendations shortly on the smoking policy for the Lords part of the Parliamentary Estate.”

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
according to that LEZ site where you check your reg, my smelly deisel is compliant so should i be diverted off the carpark ringroad and through the streets of London for whatever reason when going down to Dover with my 5ver I should be ok

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
My recycled chip fat burning camper emits zero pollutants as does my VW car but am not allowed into the capital with either....Thank God ::bigsmile:
Whats more it does the equivalent of 120 MPG at 30p per litre so is therefore the cheapest and most environmental friendly vehicle to run on the planet.
How is it that some cities are converting there buses to run on biofuels but no concessions are made in London regarding the LEZ.
The old old story of THEM and US.

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
0.02% of emmissions likely to cause any percieved affect on the ozone layer, come from cars. Much more, comes from their manufacture, and end destruction, ESPECIALLY on the new namby pamby "green" electric vehicles that have large battery banks.
Fill the streets of our cities with leccy cars, that just means that the leccy they use is produced elswhere,....at a power station near you::bigsmile:.

The flip flop wearing muesli eating insipid looking retards who think all this crap up, are a disgrace to whatever education system they ground through.
They seem to think that we can all live in a Nirvana growing our own spuds, shopping locally, making our own ferkin clothes, teaching our own kids,...and still go to work to provide the taxes that pay for them to sit around interfering with our lives!

Newsflash...it was announced this week, that tax revenue has decreased by 7%, while benefit payments have increased by 12%..............pretty soon, we wont be able to afford to support these unwashed dreadlocked pillocks, and they will all have to get jobs.......hopefully, they will then get in touch with the real world.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back