Free Member
Jun 28, 2012
kinross
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi,
I have a Hymer C546, 2004. The shower tray has developed a couple of cracks. Hymer has quoted £500 for a new tray, and around £1500 pounds to strip everything out and replace the tray.

I have been given information in regards to a company that will spay a new layer onto the existing tray ( about 2 - 3 mm thick). See link below.

Question is has anyone heard of this or even used them?

Link Removed

Thanks in advance
Ian Jones

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sounds good but you need to address why it cracked in the first place :Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
this is the same stuff they spray in pickup trucks and fridge vans.... absolutely brilliant as it is flexible and heals itself with regard to scratches

have heard of speedcoat before, but not used them personally, there are other people that do this so geta few quotes first

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
S

sl190k

Free Member
Jun 28, 2012
kinross
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Sounds good but you need to address why it cracked in the first place :Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry

Terry,
thanks for the reply. I have had the cracks for about 12 months, think they were caused by the two severe winters we had, van is stored outsude and temp. went down to-18C

Ian

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Terry,
thanks for the reply. I have had the cracks for about 12 months, think they were caused by the two severe winters we had, van is stored outsude and temp. went down to-18C

Ian

I doubt that :whatthe: more likely to be the shower tray is moving around on its base :Eeek: Ask the spray people if you drill a couple of holes and inject expanding foam into said holes, if there stuff will seal the holes :thumb: I think it would :winky:or seal with Sikaflex type stuff then let them seal :thumb: Got to be better than 2k :winky:
terry

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Just to add a few thoughts, I agree with Terry - check why it's cracked first. I think UV in the sunlight may harden the plastic and make it more brittle, but my guess would be a degradation of the mounting for the tray. Some vans had them bedded on a kind of foam I believe (N+B for one) and this has been known to break down allowing the tray to flex.
I have read good reports of Branfibre (the company, not the cereal). They are just down the road from me, but a bit of a trip for you. Might be worth giving them a call though.

http://www.branfibre.co.uk/

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Terry,

Ian

Add another "unlikely" vote. You need to get the tray out to see what is going wrong underneath and when it's out it's easy to slap on a layer of fibreglass. First press hard to see if it indeed flexing.

The Germans know how to engineer a van, I had the shower cubical out of ours very easily - to cure a frost damaged shower tap. Loads of screws but well thought out.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No idea if this is the one Link Removed but 200 is better than 500---me I would try the easy option :thumb:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back