Fiat euro 5 enginge battery discharging (1 Viewer)

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Has anyone had a problem with battery discharging on the new Fiat euro5 engine?
The other day we were due to take van in to have a replacement sat nav fitted.
Enginge wouldn't start:Sad: Put on charge for an hour started:Smile:
Dealer said it is a problem with this engine if not used for 10 days or so and it tells you in the fiat handbook. Wanted to sell us a solar panel for £750
We have had numerous fiat motorhomes and never had this problem.
Spoke to Fiat today and they suggest using the battery disconnection switch and then use the key for opening doors when it is not in use.
What then happens about the alarm I say...you will have to leave it switched off they say...but what about the insurance I say if alarm isn't on no insurance.
Sorry that is all we can suggest:Sad:
Any suggestions gratefully received .....we have thought of going down the solar panel route as the van has everything in place just needs a panel and wire to control box.

Last edited:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
I would suggest that a solar panel and a device called a Battery Master is the way to go. The solar panel will charge your leisure battery, the Battery Master will allow the charge to go to your engine battery if it runs down.

cudleydudley

Free Member
May 5, 2008
cheshunt herts
Funster No
MH
20012 tribute t-625
Exp
2003=11years
ford euro 5 engine

my engine battery go's flat [phantom tracker rings to say your batter is low]
im back to the dealers for other works, so i will bring up this problem,[brand new m/home 1st march 2012]
is it the euro 5 engine fault, any one know the answer??:Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Our van was new 1st March as well....interesting to hear you have the same problem..please keep us informed how you go on

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there are various items drawing a small current even when the engine is off. especially the alarm, tracker, radio and some other circuits to do with the imobiliser. unfortunately this means that the battery slowly discharges and when not used for 10 to 14 days can result in a flat battery.

either fit a solar panel for unattended charging or plug into an electric hookup and make sure the battery charges. this is the trade off for having such an electric energy hungry van due to the features. Its not a fault by the way, merely a feature that you need to plan for

another possible solution is a battery isolator switch on the van battery and wire the alarm to the leisure battery

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I've always said there are far to many un-necessary electronics on a modern diesel engine.

and there's only one group to blame....the paranoid 'clean air' freaks. :Angry:

the old oilers were dirty, uneconomical and polluting but were very reliable compared to today's 'fresh air' burners.

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

Our new euro5 based m/hme is fitted with 2 110watt solars and battery master.Alarm is left on all time when it is parked up and there has never been any engine battery problems.

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks for replies and suggestions...it looks like we will go down the solar panel route.
Anyone reccomend a good one ....the van is all wired up for one but not a lot of room on the roof due to panoramic roof vent and sat dome.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for replies and suggestions...it looks like we will go down the solar panel route.
Anyone reccomend a good one ....the van is all wired up for one but not a lot of room on the roof due to panoramic roof vent and sat dome.

You should bombard them with demands for a free one. It's not like the van was cheap, you say the wiring is in place and to a manufacturer a 100W solar panel would be £100 tops.

It's a disgrace perhaps not quite as big as Juddergate but in the same vein of "we've screwed up, let the mug who bought it pay for our cock up".

Go for them on the basis of "Not fit for purpose", I want a holiday longer then 10 days in one place.

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
There must be a fault as the model before will stand for months and months alarmed and the battery is fine,so why should the latest models be any different?

OP
OP
davanne
Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Our previous van was a 2007 Fiat and we never had a problem with it starting even after standing for 6 weeks so like you say what is the difference with the new euro 5 engine. As youhave pointed out Not fit for purpose!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back