Reasurance ....... (1 Viewer)

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just finishing sorting things out for heading odd today. We had not used the fridge on gas since it had been checked at the habitation check so I decided to check all the appliances as we will be wildcamping some of the time we are away. Everything else worked except I couldn't get the fridge to light. Probably not waiting long enough for the gas to get through. I's working fine on 240 and 12v. Didn't have too much time to mess about as I had to head to work. Is impatience the most likely cause?
Hope to see some other Funsters on our way to Poitiers

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Gordon,
Perhaps if the fridge has not been used for gas for some time it may take a little longer for the gas to reach the burner, also check the internal stop valve usually situated somewhere in the kitchen area. It may be when the habitation was done the stop valve was turned off and needs to be turned on again.
Finally your observation may be right it does take a while for the gas to ignite but keep finger on ignition button on fridge until the ignition light goes out.

Have a good trip.

Norman

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Could be as simple as a spider or even a mouse nesting in your igniter or chewed through the power cable. Both very unlikely of course but you wouldn't be the first.:Sad:

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Could be as simple as a spider or even a mouse nesting in your igniter or chewed through the power cable. Both very unlikely of course but you wouldn't be the first.:Sad:
Not as unlikely as you might think. We had to get the heater repaired earlier in the year. It was a wasp that was in the combustion area that was preventing ignition. That was a first for us..:Smile:

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
Just finishing sorting things out for heading odd today. We had not used the fridge on gas since it had been checked at the habitation check so I decided to check all the appliances as we will be wildcamping some of the time we are away. Everything else worked except I couldn't get the fridge to light. Probably not waiting long enough for the gas to get through. I's working fine on 240 and 12v. Didn't have too much time to mess about as I had to head to work. Is impatience the most likely cause?
Hope to see some other Funsters on our way to Poitiers

Quite a coincidence Gordon - decided to do the same thing on my Compass last week before heading off to Northumberland - and took me ages to get it lit. Eventually resorted to looking at instructions (!) You need to turn the gas control knob to full on, then hold in, and just keep clicking the igniter until it eventually catches. I have found with such devices in the past that it actually has lit, but wasn't viewing the flame through the little viewing port exactly right - in the case of mine though it was very clearly visible when it did eventually light.

Hope you get it sorted.

Mike

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Yip. Impatience it was. Got it lit at lunchtime there. Almost need to have my head inside the fridge to see the flame. I'll not do that with the oven.:ROFLMAO::Smile::ROFLMAO:

Lindylooj

Free Member
Jun 24, 2011
Weymouth, Dorset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Newbie from Oct 2011
Ok its me being ignorant but I thought that if you had your gas turned on and turned the fridge to gas that was all you had to do? Where do you find a flame? Durrrrrh enlighten please - by gas if you want! ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
gordoncbrown
Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Inside the fridge at the back lower left side, on the model of fridge I have, there is a small round "window". Once the fridge is lit it has a blue flame in it and is working. Hope this helps

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Inside the fridge at the back lower left side, on the model of fridge I have, there is a small round "window". Once the fridge is lit it has a blue flame in it and is working. Hope this helps

Must have a look I thought once the igniter stopped clicking fridge was working, it always has up to now. Never knew you could see a little gas flame, must remember to look when I am next in "The Beast"

Norman

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Must have a look I thought once the igniter stopped clicking fridge was working, it always has up to now. Never knew you could see a little gas flame, must remember to look when I am next in "The Beast"

Norman

Ok its me being ignorant but I thought that if you had your gas turned on and turned the fridge to gas that was all you had to do? Where do you find a flame? Durrrrrh enlighten please - by gas if you want! ::bigsmile:

It all depends on the fridge model. Our Elddis had one like Gordon's but the Burstner has no little window - you know it's lit if the light by the control is not flashing/clicking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back