240v power from leisure batteries (1 Viewer)

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Hi just bought an Autotrail apache and new to motor homing only previously been used on sites with electric hook up want to set up for wild camping want to know best way to go about this? Been thinking maybe two 110 leisure batteries with one 30w solar panel do I need an inverter? Roughly how long will this last and any ideas on cost? Thanks Steve::bigsmile:

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi just bought an Autotrail apache and new to motor homing only previously been used on sites with electric hook up want to set up for wild camping want to know best way to go about this? Been thinking maybe two 110 leisure batteries with one 30w solar panel do I need an inverter? Roughly how long will this last and any ideas on cost? Thanks Steve::bigsmile:

Hi Steve, First of all if you want to come along to the massive Rutland water rally/meet from the 8th to the 15th July 2012 (not far from you) you can meet over 100 other motorhomers that can give you all the information that you will ever need on every aspect of what you will ever need for your future requirements, give us a shout and will add you to the list if you want ok. If not you will need a couple of Batteries as stated and an inverter about 1500w one would probaly be sufficient for what power you will need ie hair dryer, microwave, kettle, etc, also 30w solar wont be much good to you in this country not enough sun, so i would go for as big a one as you can get for space on your roof, maybe a 130w one if possible, and that might cost about £800 area supplied and fitted, but a lot cheaper if you are capable to do it yourself, better still just come to the Rally/meet and get all the info you will ever need ok, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
forget the 30watt panel......it will, at best, produce around 1amp per hour in our summer.

to be of any real use you need at least an 80watt panel to charge the batteries....even bigger running an inverter...maybe 200watts or more of solar to keep on top of the battery drain.

if you plan on using an inverter to run 230v appliances you need to take into account how much it will drain your battery.

to produce 10amps from an inverter it will draw 120amps from your batteries every hour..... effectively you will drain a pair of 110ah batteries to 50% charge (recommended limit) in just one hour at 10amps.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
240volt power

Meant 130 volt panel ,.was wondering why nothing was working when plugged in at moment .I take it the battery at present is without an invertor

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
want to know best way to go about this? Steve::bigsmile:

Downsize your expectations.

Forget cooking or drying of hairs.

Think of a few LED lights and a little TV.

Big laptops can eat power.

But the good news, we arrived at the Stratford meet on Tuesday, we left on Sunday still having loads of spare power from a single 110Ah battery. We had heating, some lighting, some TV.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Rutland Water

Hi thanx all for responses. We had seen the Rutland Water thing can u let me have some details like where what's involved etc? As far as keeping it simple goes that's what we want don't use hair dryer or microwave etc just 4-5 hours of tv for kids for example but would want it to last 4/5 days. Thanks All Steve:thumb:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Meant 130 volt panel ,.was wondering why nothing was working when plugged in at moment .I take it the battery at present is without an invertor
130watt panel should be Ok as long as the sun shines.
If there's nowt coming out of the 230v sockets, off hookup, then you don't have an inverter.....or its broken or turned off.

as Brian said, you can go days on one 110ah battery without external power to recharge batteries......or you may be like us....we could flatten 4 x 110ah batteries in a weekend.

i don't see any reason to be frugal with battery power when there are so many options available to recharge them....thats what they are there for, to be used.

Upvote 0

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi thanx all for responses. We had seen the Rutland Water thing can u let me have some details like where what's involved etc? As far as keeping it simple goes that's what we want don't use hair dryer or microwave etc just 4-5 hours of tv for kids for example but would want it to last 4/5 days. Thanks All Steve:thumb:[/QUOTE

hi, Just have a look at the last 2 posts regarding Rutland, shows you whos coming and all about whats on, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi thanx all for responses. We had seen the Rutland Water thing can u let me have some details like where what's involved etc? As far as keeping it simple goes that's what we want don't use hair dryer or microwave etc just 4-5 hours of tv for kids for example but would want it to last 4/5 days. Thanks All Steve:thumb:
Hi Steve firstly see how you get on and then start taking the least cost route :thumb:Add a extra battery or two then see if that is sufficient :thumb: You can always add solar or a genny etc if you need to but you may well find 2 or 3 battery's does the job for you.Wait and see what you need rather than spending 1k on things that you may well do without simply because you have been told you need this and that or would like ::bigsmile:1 BATT COST APROX £80 2 X COST £160 then try/wait and see if you need anything else :thumb:
We only have 1 x 110 amp hr and go for 3/4 days without problem but we also use the van running around to shops/sight seeing etc so the batt is getting charge from the engine via Split relay-cost a tenner ish :winky:
terry

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have a 1500 watt inverter

I have 2 x 100 amp batteries and a 1500 watt inverter (by Sterling) .. it is what is called a pure sin wave (not a modified wave) it is also a combo charger unit.. you can run a TV (mains 230v 26" type and get no flicker lines... or a laptop) ... I also have on my RV (American motor home) a 4 kw generator built in to the chassis.. this way when not on EHU I can run my generator that charges my batteries that allow me to use all the items I want to. I have a micro wave that is 110 amps and has a start top of 1700 watts.. I have roof air conditioner (both the micro wav and air con run from the generator) .. the rest I can run from my batteries, like the lighting which is all led's (saves a lot of power having them all changed)

I do not use solar as I think like others we do not have the weather to make them work well.

I will be at Rutland Water, so if you hunt me out .. I am the small 23'9" Winnebago :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:B class camper with the little red trailer for my disabled scooter attached.. and of course Ezzie the ST Bernard.... you can discuss and see what it is all about.

Bob:Blush:

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
For serious battery endurance you need serious batteries, not the POS 'leisure' batteries fitted to most motorhomes.
We can easily achieve the endurance you are looking for AND use the hairdryer, the iron, charge the laptop, etc in the warmer months. As for winter, when skiing, we can go 4 days at minus 5 to minus 20 with a bit less TV and without the 240V kit.
All you need is 330 AH worth of traction battery and a decent battery to battery charger. Forget the solar, it's a waste of money for our climate you would be better putting the money you would have spent on it towards those batteries and the battery to battery charger.

Useful links-

Link Removed

Link Removed

The industry is good at selling gadgets, some work, some don't. These do!

Hope this helps.:thumb:

Upvote 0

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
VanBitz are the people to talk to

For serious battery endurance you need serious batteries, not the POS 'leisure' batteries fitted to most motorhomes.
We can easily achieve the endurance you are looking for AND use the hairdryer, the iron, charge the laptop, etc in the warmer months. As for winter, when skiing, we can go 4 days at minus 5 to minus 20 with a bit less TV and without the 240V kit.
All you need is 330 AH worth of traction battery and a decent battery to battery charger. Forget the solar, it's a waste of money for our climate you would be better putting the money you would have spent on it towards those batteries and the battery to battery charger.

Useful links-

Link Removed

Link Removed

The industry is good at selling gadgets, some work, some don't. These do!

Hope this helps.:thumb:

In respect of Battery to Battery charging you might do well to speak to VanBitz down at Taunton in Somerset.. Eddie and his crew do this kind of work all the time.. The battery to battery works from the engine alternator directing a charge from the start up battery to the domestic battery. I have that ability via my 140 amp hour alternator on my RV.. it is standard but in a lessor way.. the battery to battery is designed for the job.

But a phone call to them would be a good place to start.. VanBitz fitted my Sterling Inverter and a lot of other equipment I have.

Bob:thumb:

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have 2 banks of 2 x 110 amp/hr batteries, one runs the main hab requirements, lights pump, gas switch etc. Charged by the engine when running plus an 80 amp solar panel. The second pair of 110 amp/hr batteries run the TV, satellite box, DVD player and various laptop/phone/camera battery chargers via a 150W inverter. This pair are charged via a seperate 80W solar panel. We never run out of power if we limit the TV to 6 hrs a night. We stay away up to 4 weeks at a time and never use EHU.
Solar is very effective in the summer with a horizontal panel, the winter requires a south facing verticle panel. I achieve this by having it mounted on the dashboard and park facing South. I'd like another two panels. I bought a maplins wind charger for winter use but the bearings were shot from new so it had to go back still that is a good option for the winter. to help things out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back