East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Would you

a) buy a cheaper motorhome that meets your wants and keep money to spend on it

b) buy a newer motorhome that meets your wants and expect it not to need work for a few years

With what we have looked at so far, we can either buy a small american C class RV between 1996 and 2003 or a few europeans between 2006 and 2009

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Would you

b) buy a newer motorhome that meets your wants and expect it not to need work for a few years

With what we have looked at so far, we can either buy a small american C class RV between 1996 and 2003 or a few europeans between 2006 and 2009

Hi Gail do a self build :ROFLMAO::winky: Go for the best layout that suits on the newest euro van :thumb:but make sure everything works and you should have a good few trouble free years :thumb: Unfortunately all the yanks have bloody big thirsty engines and from the ones I have seen no better screwed together :reel::winky:
terry

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
gail getting the lay out right first time is number one .buying something you can afford to run maintain and dos not loose to much in value ,second for me .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
to my mind Gail, buying an older motorhome below your budget can be false economy.

things will be wearing out and need replacing...not just the hab stuff but also the running gear...bearings, brakes, steering joints etc.

you could end up paying more out than if you bought a newer van in the first place.

even so you may still need a bit of a gold reserve to correct any faults on a newer one

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
as terry is fishing

Hi Gail do a self build :ROFLMAO::winky: Go for the best layout that suits on the newest euro van :thumb:but make sure everything works and you should have a good few trouble free years :thumb: Unfortunately all the yanks have bloody big thirsty engines and from the ones I have seen no better screwed together :reel::winky:
terry

as Terry is :reel: how cannot I not reply in defence of RV's not all RV's are as described.

Firstly on the power ratio (engine) they are designed to haul serious weight and are mostly over 3.5 tons up... mine is 5 tons all up and as you know 23'9" (well everyone should know that by now:Blush:).... the engines are designed to do a job and are not for some converted panel van.. we are talking power .. mine is 6.8 lt and is the Ford Triton V10 and that is on the SUPER DUTY chassis.. the problem with euro panel vans.. is they are designed to carry a load, not be loaded down 24/7 with a fixed load that is at the maximum end of there designed use. Home converters can put so much wood in to there projects they are well up to the weight the poor van can carry. No so good on the engine, transmission and brakes over a period of time.

Now my Ford is they E350.. has the same power unit as many of the 30' plus RV's and even the E450 chassis.. so I have bags of power to the ratio of the load it pulls. Simples.

As for build quality? are europeans any better? doubt it... Certainly the last european I owned was a Glendale built of wood and plastic and was not very well made... these days my Winnebago is all ally framed and and all panels including the roof are fibreglass no.. wood is used other than for the cabinets.

How many europeans have corrigon worktops? or solid wood cabinets? have a look at the Safari range for example? top end finish at sensible prices in the second hand market.

Geo did a calculation a week or so back.. that worked out the file cost v the buying price of an RV.. compared to a diesel euro box (include also home converted panel vans)... I think he proved unless you were doing millions of miles in an RV then the RV wins hands down..

Mine is a 2005 made model and that makes it 6 plus years old and it has still less that 20k on the clock...

I rest my case Terry.....

bob:Blush:

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
the E350's come in many shapes sizes and years we appear to be leaning towards them

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
Yes the E350 is a proven chassis

the E350's come in many shapes sizes and years we appear to be leaning towards them

Yes Gail the E350 has been in long use and was called the Econonline for many years and later became the E350 .. and also the E450 (longer chassis rails)

It has been the main stay of the American Ambulances for years in the USA and fire departments.

It has been used with lots of different size engines over the years.. these days it has the V10 6.8 petrol engine.. but it has had V8's in the past as well.

If you do a Wiki search there is a world of information of the chassis and the engines fitted. They were built to last and many have stood the test of time. Nearly all American RV makers have used the chassis at some time... a testament to how good they are.

You will find them on A, B and C class RV's.. mostly on C class, but they are a good chassis.

Bob:thumb:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I believe you are looking for something LEZ compliant Gail. That being your priority then you are somewhat limited.
If the LEZ was not a problem then I would say go for a QUALITY built older van ie German which would most likely have all the toys fitted as standard and save the balance to enjoy it with. Even buying an almost new van does not guarantee trouble free motorhoming as you only have to read a few posts on here. Am amazed at what some have to put up with after spending the price of a small house on a motorhome.
Big petrol engines are OK if you only do a few miles each year but if you intend using your van all year round and putting some serious miles on it then the difference between 15 MPG and 30 MPG can run into £1000s.
Just as a matter of interest I put 18000 miles on mine in the last 12 months and it averages 32 MPG. Imagine what the extra cost of that would be if it only did 15 MPG, and that's only over a 12 month period, multiply that by a few years and it becomes mind blowing.
At the end of the day its your money and your choice, but if it has to be LEZ compliant then your choices are limited.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Agree with Bob on build quality.
Most of us have read the threads on Fiat clutches, gearboxes and reversing uphill and more recently the issues with a popular british built motorhome with serious quality and build problems .
Now on my third RV, new and second hand and they do not leak and are not fitted with poor quality components.
They are also built on an engine/chassis combination that can take the strain of being constantly loaded to the max.
As for economy, that has also been mentioned on this forum in the last few days with Fiat based motorhomes producing as little as 20 mpg.
With many RVs running on LPG this figure can also be achieved.
Big decision when buying, but the only time I would not buy an RV will be if my licence were downgraded at 70 :Sad:

PS no problem in LEZ with an lpg RV

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the answer is a 5er ,, the rest talk rubbish . get a mini artic even better,
i do try to give advice but its a hard and stoney road . but for many a fiver would solve alot of the probs .lez etc just get a truck that meets it , its a real problem solver . had mine 12 yrs now .perfect .
coarse you could get n empty trailer and kit it out your self in a few weeks . or could you ?only you know that. but self build is the way .i,m with terry .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
and many of us have looked at old yanks with water running through them . they arent built any better than any other m,home . just you pay a few bob more in the begining . get a 5er be sensible i know most arent very smart but a few of us have got the idea now .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
as Terry is :reel: how cannot I not reply in defence of RV's not all RV's are as described.

Firstly on the power ratio (engine) they are designed to haul serious weight and are mostly over 3.5 tons up... mine is 5 tons all up and as you know 23'9" (well everyone should know that by now:Blush:).... the engines are designed to do a job and are not for some converted panel van.. we are talking power .. mine is 6.8 lt and is the Ford Triton V10 and that is on the SUPER DUTY chassis.. the problem with euro panel vans.. is they are designed to carry a load, not be loaded down 24/7 with a fixed load that is at the maximum end of there designed use. Home converters can put so much wood in to there projects they are well up to the weight the poor van can carry. No so good on the engine, transmission and brakes over a period of time.

Now my Ford is they E350.. has the same power unit as many of the 30' plus RV's and even the E450 chassis.. so I have bags of power to the ratio of the load it pulls. Simples.

As for build quality? are europeans any better? doubt it... Certainly the last european I owned was a Glendale built of wood and plastic and was not very well made... these days my Winnebago is all ally framed and and all panels including the roof are fibreglass no.. wood is used other than for the cabinets.

How many europeans have corrigon worktops? or solid wood cabinets? have a look at the Safari range for example? top end finish at sensible prices in the second hand market.

Geo did a calculation a week or so back.. that worked out the file cost v the buying price of an RV.. compared to a diesel euro box (include also home converted panel vans)... I think he proved unless you were doing millions of miles in an RV then the RV wins hands down..????????????????????????????????????????????????
Mine is a 2005 made model and that makes it 6 plus years old and it has still less that 20k on the clock...

I rest my case Terry.....

bob:Blush:

You just made my case bob ::bigsmile:5 t/ 6.8 ltr engine and As for build quality even you doubt it ::bigsmile: qoute Unfortunately all the yanks have bloody big thirsty engines and from the ones I have seen no better screwed together :winky:easy to fit corrigon worktops (corrian):winky:
I rest my case also ::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the daftest bit is towing a car behind .doesnt matter if its a frame or trailer .get a 5er one tax one insurance . and it might not need a mot. when you reach 70 you wont need daft medicals either with a bit of thought you can just keep driving the same vehicle and have a train of up to 12 ton.
not hard to see the advantages .
cant quite see where bob is coming from .he as done an old topgear thing . compared a moscovitch with an audi .
cant see how you compare a glendale , possibly the bottom of the range with a winnie . even they arent the rolls royce of rv,s though . but a glendale . cheap as chips.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
whatever we get has to be less than 25ft so we arent looking at the big boys yanks - we have to stay within the marked bays locally

we want rear bed, middle lounge, large fridge freezer, not the under the counter ones, full cooker if possible and separate bed over the cab LEZ compliant and no damp all under 25ft.

It doesnt sound much of a wish list however we are finding it difficult to fulfil. I cant do the large garage bed scenario with pole and steps - certainly not in winter with the arthritis.

We never realised such a small wish list would be so hard to fill

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Pffft. Glorified Lorries (RV's) and Glorified Caravans (5'ers):winky::ROFLMAO:.

It doesn't really matter what you get provided it does what you need it to do..

With both RV's and 5'ers you need to do at least some planning before you set off. With a small panel van conversion you just go. You can pretty much go anywhere a car can. Sure you don't have all that space to spread out comfortably in and you can't tow a 2 tonne car and carry a full size jacuzzi in the belly lockers. But you can get up and go at the drop of a hat and not worry if the road gets a bit narrow or the bends are a bit tight.

My view on RV's is that they restrict your traveling too much. Some roads are just out of bounds for practical and legal reasons.

It also depends on how many people you are traveling with. If you are solo or a couple then you can go smaller and the money you save in Diesel can be spent either on going further or beer when you get where you are going.

I get a confirmed 30.9Mpg doing stop start country driving much more when on motorways or long trips.

On the other hand if you just want it to go to a few rallies each year then an RV is brilliant for entertaining people in and carrying your 5Kw genny:thumb:

Gonna shut up now :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There is only one post here of any interest to you YOURS
Listen to yourself
you want a medium budget motor home under 25 foot with as much space as you can get with big fridge freezer ready made beds without busting the bank

Biggest bang for your buck RV
25 foot RV
ready made up beds RV
Big fridge freezer RV
cash to spare RV
LEZ compliant and reasonable on fuel LPG RV
Resale value still about what you paid for it in 3 years time
There will be places you cant get to in a RV the same places a dustbin lorry cant get ie 2% of the uk
Dont listen to those that cant drive and blame the size:Doh:
95% of those with a downer on RVs cant think out of the box, and would, despite their protests love one, its them bowing to peer pressure that really stops em
So having said all that your still asking questions:Doh:
Geo

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
In answer to your question Gail. Never get anything that takes every last penny. You MUST leave something for a disaster fund or everytime you get in you will be hoping that something doesn't go wrong.

Nikki's dad once put diesel in his brand new 60000 Autosleeper on his first fill up, it cost an additonal 3500 to have put right, he always told me that he was fortunate to have the money for the repair.

I know Tony's handy with a set of spanners so you have many options, take your time, don't stretch your self and you can also have some cash to get yourself away on a few holidays too. :thumb:

Why not consider some of the more budget vans? CI or Autoroller could see you in a relatively much newer van than say an autotrail and IMO having owned one, they are just as good...:thumb:

Oct 27, 2007
Near Dartford
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2005
Gail

There is something I think you may not have taken into consideration. Im not sure where your parking bays are but if they are in the road then you have problems.

London Councils have a weight limit for on road parking (which may include parking bays) I cant remember what the limit is but was told once it was 3.5 ton but suspect it may be 5ton and may only apply to commercial vehicles.

Before you commit to anything its probably best to check with the council if you would be allowed to park an RV in the bays or if there is any weight restriction.

Sonja

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It slowly dawns on me one of the reasons our Bob (49 feet long with the trailer on) is so positive about the gas guzzling RVs...

Less than twenty thousand miles in six years is not the sort of motorhoming I do...

No wonder things (engines, g/boxes etc) don't wear out... :winky:

My advice is to wait until you can get the van you want... as mostly everyone agrees, you will know which one the moment you see it...

If you are missing the joys of motorhoming so much that you MUST buy something NOW then I would go down the more affordable route... just because something is old and has a lot of miles on the clock does not mean it will break down all the time. My Iveco now has 270,000 kms on the clock and runs like a dream and the Hymer has 130,000 kms and is twenty five years old and still purrs away (slowly) ...

I hate talking about how much things cost (my father thought talking about money was crass, rude and common...) but it seems appropriate on this thread... the Iveco was less than £3500 K and the Hymer was less than £13 K...

BUT... with an older van I would definitely choose one where spares are easy to get and from a wide range of places...

I see there is a VWLT camper for sale in the classified section for less than £2000... that would get you to some shows and around and about while you continued your search.... :Smile:

JJ :Cool:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
It slowly dawns on me one of the reasons our Bob (49 feet long with the trailer on) is so positive about the gas guzzling RVs...

Less than twenty thousand miles in six years is not the sort of motorhoming I do...

No wonder things (engines, g/boxes etc) don't wear out... :winky:

My advice is to wait until you can get the van you want... as mostly everyone agrees, you will know which one the moment you see it...

If you are missing the joys of motorhoming so much that you MUST buy something NOW then I would go down the more affordable route... just because something is old and has a lot of miles on the clock does not mean it will break down all the time. My Iveco now has 270,000 kms on the clock and runs like a dream and the Hymer has 130,000 kms and is twenty five years old and still purrs away (slowly) ...

I hate talking about how much things cost (my father thought talking about money was crass, rude and common...) but it seems appropriate on this thread... the Iveco was less than £3500 and the Hymer was less than £13000...

BUT... with an older van I would definitely choose one where spares are easy to get and from a wide range of places...

I see there is a VWLT camper for sale in the classified section for less than £2000... that would get you to some shows and around and about while you continued your search.... :Smile:

JJ :Cool:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
My 2004 2.8 JTD Fiat pulls like a train, fantastic engine (3.5t coachbuilt) and it surprised me (because of its age) is LEZ compliant. Just check compliance on the internet - simply type in the reg and you get the answer.
As others have said first get the layout sorted and all MHs are a compromise of some sort or another.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
In order to help Gail why no links to these European and VW's with two made up beds large fridge freezer and the space she has asked for in every post
Im not pushing one thing or the other just pointing out the only vehicle that ticks all the boxes is going to be a small RV
A Euro van with anything like these is top end and over budget:Doh:
No wonder the poor gal is dithering:RollEyes:
she knows what she wants and needs and is asking for suggestions help her, show her some vehicles that will actually fit the bill one or two compromises maybe,but low budget Euro vans or panel vans, come on it aint gonna happen is it:RollEyes:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
whatever we get has to be less than 25ft so we arent looking at the big boys yanks - we have to stay within the marked bays locally

we want rear bed, middle lounge, large fridge freezer, not the under the counter ones, full cooker if possible and separate bed over the cab LEZ compliant and no damp all under 25ft.

It doesnt sound much of a wish list however we are finding it difficult to fulfil. I cant do the large garage bed scenario with pole and steps - certainly not in winter with the arthritis.

We never realised such a small wish list would be so hard to fill

In order to help Gail why no links to these European and VW's with two made up beds large fridge freezer and the space she has asked for in every post
Im not pushing one thing or the other just pointing out the only vehicle that ticks all the boxes is going to be a small RV
A Euro van with anything like these is top end and over budget:Doh:
No wonder the poor gal is dithering:RollEyes:
she knows what she wants and needs and is asking for suggestions help her, show her some vehicles that will actually fit the bill one or two compromises maybe,but low budget Euro vans or panel vans, come on it aint gonna happen is it:RollEyes:

Hope that answers your question :winky:

Unless of course the RV's now shrink width wise as well.?

IMO, someone on a budget would be foolish buying an RV which whatever way you look at it, even with your fantastic ways of manipulating the figures an RV for Gail is a no brainer.

Like you, I aint pushing one over the other, but come on Gail, the extra large fridge might have to be sacrificed, but, you will at least have enough money left to fill the one you have after fueling up for the holiday. :)

Last edited:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You seem to have missed the links off again Haggers:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I wish I could post a link to what Gail herself has found a real dream machine, but I dont want all you Euro men drooling over and buying it
Some how she now thinks year 2000 with 40K miles is old:Eeek: and this van will return 22-26 easy and yes it has it all:thumb: no compromises it will even fit in her bay:thumb:
If she buys it yer all gonna be soooooooooooooooooooooooooo green,:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I am

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Pray tell me Geo (assuming the link off Gail is the same )yr 2,000 but with only 27,000 mls how is she going to get 22-26 mpg from a petrol 7.5 ltr auto ?
To achieve anything like she is going to have to spend 3/4 k on a lpg conversion and if it is the same it needs revamping to bring (what is not a old van) it more up to date:Doh: The pics look like it was made in the 80s inside not like a 2,000 euro box :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
One thing I will never ever ever be, is envious of someone with an RV.

Each to their own of course, and i truly believe its the person in the Van that matters, but strangely I was more envious of the man driving his split screen fully restored VW camper up the M6 yesterday than what I was of Rick's superb looking big beast.

I am truly happy with my choice of camping, and neither do I feel the need to point out the faults of others whom don't buy in to their choice, either way (both sides of course).....

but

Gail, don't do it. :Doh: measure the width of that parking bay :winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
No links again Haggers yers really dropped the ball, and now you are telling her wot to or not to do, getting desperate me ole mate:RollEyes:
No terry you aint seen this one, and I challenge anyone to beat it value and fittingsand bang for buck wise 22Mpg Minimum all up and towing:thumb:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Would you

IF you are handy with a toolbox and like fiddling, buy a older one that need cossetting.
I enjoy in the week doing jobs on the MH after the kids wreck it weekends.
I could buy a newer one but, i would miss fiddling around.
A new one would sit outside and i could just look at it, a older one ,i get involved.
We do the same in our MH which cost 12k as some costing 50k :thumb: and it`s not dropping like a stone in value now.::bigsmile:
I do like the look of a RV though -- BiG spanners on those:thumb:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
No links again Haggers yers really dropped the ball, and now you are telling her wot to or not to do, getting desperate me ole mate:RollEyes:

Nope, no link's. Gail will make up her own mind Im sure. What I do find an amazing bore of late, is those singing the virtues of one over another, I have not posted on any of them.. The spirit is lost :Smile:

You choose, and choose well Gail..

but,,

Remember to measure the WIDTH of the parking bay :winky:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
No terry you aint seen this one, and I challenge anyone to beat it value and fittingsand bang for buck wise 22Mpg Minimum all up and towing:thumb:

So Geo are we going to see it ? as you keep telling Paul no links :winky:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back